GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newb to FPS, what you recommend for offline play?

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Well, not total newbie, but my experience limits to CS 1.6, Half-Life, Unreal Tournament II, Killzone, Halo (I didn't actually liked it), Rainbow Six (a few of them) and recently Bioshock Infinite.

So, I have the basics of movement and gameplay, and although I prefer the keyboard+mouse approach, my Pc is old as balls and I have a PS3 and 360 at ready.

I'm trying to avoid extremely fast-paced games like Serious Sam, Bulletstorm, Rage and such; also, I really dislike playing them online since I don't last 2 seconds between each respawn so it ruins the fun for me, I rather have some good story, and a bit more thinking and strategy like you would do on MGS (I know it's not an FPS) or Rainbow Six Vegas.

So, overall, any (militar preferably) current FPS that you could recommend mostly for offline play, and maybe jump to multiplayer once I get used to it?

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
The battlefield series is by far my favorite. If you can become a little more comfortable in a multiplayer scenario it is especially rewarding.

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Well if you likes bioshock infinite, you should definitely play the first Bioshock, and 2 if you're really a fan.

The Fallout & Elder Scrolls series are FPS Role Playing games that are good for countless hours of gameplay.

Gears of War
Dishonored

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
The battlefield series is by far my favorite. If you can become a little more comfortable in a multiplayer scenario it is especially rewarding.
I almost bought BF3 this weekend, but since there's only info of the multpilayer part in the back of the disc case I thought the solo campaign would be lame or no-existent.

Well if you likes bioshock infinite, you should definitely play the first Bioshock, and 2 if you're really a fan.

The Fallout & Elder Scrolls series are FPS Role Playing games that are good for countless hours of gameplay.

Gears of War
Dishonored
I have Bioshock 1, spooky as hell but I'm kind of liking it.
Gears of wars, I played the first one, not my cup of tea back then but I could give it another try.

Never heard of Dishonored, I have to look into it

Splinter cell?
I have Double Agent, it came with my first 360, never touched it. is it any good?

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I almost bought BF3 this weekend, but since there's only info of the multpilayer part in the back of the disc case I thought the solo campaign would be lame or no-existent.

I have Bioshock 1, spooky as hell but I'm kind of liking it.
Gears of wars, I played the first one, not my cup of tea back then but I could give it another try.

Never heard of Dishonored, I have to look into it

I have Double Agent, it came with my first 360, never touched it. is it any good?

Battlefield is awesome man, I've only played on Xbox 360, I really enjoyed the single player, but the multiplayer is really were its at. It's a lot more tactical/slower than games like COD, but I loooooove that game.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Battlefield is awesome man, I've only played on Xbox 360, I really enjoyed the single player, but the multiplayer is really were its at. It's a lot more tactical/slower than games like COD, but I loooooove that game.

Yep, Same here. Although, I liked BF Bad company 1&2 way more than I liked BF3.

I like how BF3 is tactical & slower though.

what's the difference with Bad company over the normal Battlefield?

Bad company is better. Honestly though, too many differences. Different engine, different guns, different maps, different characters, different classes, etc. I like bad company more but I'll give bf4 a chance. I hate bf3 but bfbc2 is my favorite game.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Bad company is better. Honestly though, too many differences. Different engine, different guns, different maps, different characters, different classes, etc. I like bad company more but I'll give bf4 a chance. I hate bf3 but bfbc2 is my favorite game.

I liked both of those games, I really like BF3 though.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
Far Cry 3 - I'm a big FPS fan and I believe this the best, most accessible single player FPS title available today. You can parachute into a village and go berserk, or recon it, sneak around and melee/snipe off BGs. I wasn't previously a fan of this series, but 3 does EVERYTHING right - it perfectly captures the essence of FPS and [island] exploration. I really cannot overstate my recommendation on this one.

Battlefield 3 is definitely the king of the hill in FPS multiplayer experiences, but this doesn't sound like what you're looking for... The campaign is pretty forgettable; the multiplayer is versatile - twitch-shooting in CQC vs. drawn-out, strategic-minded efforts in Rush and Conquest.

My wild-card vote goes to Borderlands 2 - it's insanely fun, pretty good single player experience, incredibly fun multiplayer, and completely lacks the twitch-shooting mess that defines most shooters. You did state that you didn't like Rage and this one has a somewhat familiar feel, so it might not do it for ya - but I would still encourage you to give it a shot. If it DOES suck you in, you'll get endless hours out of it...

Honorable mention goes to Spec Ops: The Line (probably too fast-paced during combat for your tastes), Metal Gear Solid 4, and Fallout: New Vegas.

Yeah, I went out and bought BF:BC2 and you never played. :fighting0030:

My mic is broken anyways...

Yeah. You never got on. They installed security cameras that stream on my Internet and now my ping is 600ms so I can't play online anymore. Sucks

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Far Cry 3 - I'm a big FPS fan and I believe this the best, most accessible single player FPS title available today. You can parachute into a village and go berserk, or recon it, sneak around and melee/snipe off BGs. I wasn't previously a fan of this series, but 3 does EVERYTHING right - it perfectly captures the essence of FPS and [island] exploration. I really cannot overstate my recommendation on this one.

Battlefield 3 is definitely the king of the hill in FPS multiplayer experiences, but this doesn't sound like what you're looking for... The campaign is pretty forgettable; the multiplayer is versatile - twitch-shooting in CQC vs. drawn-out, strategic-minded efforts in Rush and Conquest.

My wild-card vote goes to Borderlands 2 - it's insanely fun, pretty good single player experience, incredibly fun multiplayer, and completely lacks the twitch-shooting mess that defines most shooters. You did state that you didn't like Rage and this one has a somewhat familiar feel, so it might not do it for ya - but I would still encourage you to give it a shot. If it DOES suck you in, you'll get endless hours out of it...

Honorable mention goes to Spec Ops: The Line (probably too fast-paced during combat for your tastes), Metal Gear Solid 4, and Fallout: New Vegas.
I played the first Far Cry for a bit and it was fun, my concern is that I could miss something by skipping it and 2 and going directly to FC3, I know that in some franchises if you skip one of the games you miss a lot of references on the later games

Used to play Borderlands with my ex-gf, too many feels to even consider touching it again or borderlands 2, besides it felt like you had to grind way too much to upgrade the characters and never actually do anything interesting.

So far, I think BF3 is going to be the choice, mostly because it's $20 and maybe when I upgrade my internet connection it would be playable to some degree in multiplayer.

I played the demo of Spec Ops, it was too short to judge, my brother hates it with fiery passion, not sure why :biggrin:

Any thoughts on Modern Warfare 3?
I remember playing the first one for a couple days before Forza came along (to take my soul and spare time) and it was awesome.
Also, Would I be missing much if I skip MW1 and MW2 and go directly to the third?

Just bought Killzone trilogy and even though I finished the first back in the Ps2 days, I can't remember shit about the story so I'm alternating playing the first with Tomb Raider and GT5