GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

torga

Autocross Champion
Is a used 1080ti still worth $375? Wow
Are you saying that's expensive? This is allegedly a two-month-old card (still trying to get info), and the used ones that I've seen are in the $600-800 range.
The card the guy is selling is $1,280 on Amazon right now. It's a Gigabyte Gaming OC.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Are you saying that's expensive? This is allegedly a two-month-old card (still trying to get info), and the used ones that I've seen are in the $600-800 range.
The card the guy is selling is $1,280 on Amazon right now. It's a Gigabyte Gaming OC.

GPU prices are still very inflated due to mining surge and ram shortages.
Typically prices for cards used to drop quicker back in the good ol days.

torga

Autocross Champion
GPU prices are still very inflated due to mining surge and ram shortages.

Typically prices for cards used to drop quicker back in the good ol days.
Right! So I think $375 nowadays for such a high-performance card is pretty damn good.
The seller is at work right now, so I'll hopefully hear back soon.

torga

Autocross Champion
1080Ti owner ghosted me and deleted the posting. Feelsbadman

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion

Haven't been following card prices. Do I have no idea. 1080ti prices fell quite a big a year ago but seems like theyve picked up again.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
No compatibility issues what so ever.
Nvidia works just as well with both intel and AMD.
AMD CPU with AMD GPU have some additional perks especially if your running low spec gpu and an APU.
But otherwise those things are meaningless and dont benefit 99.9% of customers.

Whats happening with your i5?
The 2550K is still a fairly good chip especially in single threaded performance. Even better if you OC it a bit.

Youll definitely benefit a bit by going with a new chip but thats mostly gonna be benefits from more cores for multithreaded applications and updated chipset (ie more PCIE lanes).

an i5 2550K with a gtx 970 is still fairly decent, especially for 1080p gaming.

The chip is like 8 years old now and the mother board is...ok
DD3 1600--16GB Ram

Idk i just cant run assassins creed odyssey on it without significant delays and like..medium setting only getting 20-24 fps.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
The chip is like 8 years old now and the mother board is...ok
DD3 1600--16GB Ram

Idk i just cant run assassins creed odyssey on it without significant delays and like..medium setting only getting 20-24 fps.

ah assassins creed engine is pretty un-optimized but you should be doing a bit better than that.
I would get some benchmarks going to see if its your cpu or gpu holding you back. (To see which item is being 100% utilized)
From quick google gtx 970 should be closer to 40 FPS avg on high.

Verserk-MK6

Ready to race!
ah assassins creed engine is pretty un-optimized but you should be doing a bit better than that.
I would get some benchmarks going to see if its your cpu or gpu holding you back. (To see which item is being 100% utilized)
From quick google gtx 970 should be closer to 40 FPS avg on high.

I did and the CPU was holding me back.
blah

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Not strictly pc building but anyone game on linux here? Experiences?

torga

Autocross Champion
I can't comment on Linux gaming.

For Prime Day, I was surprised to see that one of my wish list items actually got a discount - I scored a Logitech MX Master 2S mouse for only $40 (was $72).

I also took a gamble and picked up a 70% keyboard from a new company called Keychron. I got their K2 model, link here. It comes with Gateron Brown switches, but you have your choice of brown, red or blue.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
For Prime Day, I was surprised to see that one of my wish list items actually got a discount - I scored a Logitech MX Master 2S mouse for only $40 (was $72).

I also took a gamble and picked up a 70% keyboard from a new company called Keychron. I got their K2 model, link here. It comes with Gateron Brown switches, but you have your choice of brown, red or blue.

I was strong and I resisted. The monitor I want that's normally like $800+ was down to $720 and and I have $70ish in points on amazon to use. Could have been a good deal. I'll wait a little bit longer and save up some more points. I'm considering buying a more expensive toy right now so trying to save my moneys.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I just picked up a 500gb ssd for a new linux distro as the drive I have now is soooooo slow. I've been looking around and seems like there is compatability for a good amount of games on linux and it's only getting better. If it gets good enough i'll just ditch windows all together. Also probably switching to AMD products next build as they seem to play a bit better with linux, maybe by then i'll have justification to buy a threadripper.

torga

Autocross Champion
Those TR4 mobos are $$$$$$. There have been some great deals on the chips themselves recently.

I've committed to doing AMD for this build - I'm 90% on getting the R7 3700X, but I may entertain the 3800X.

The 3700X is neck-and-neck with, if not better than, the i7-9700K, all with a 65W TDP (9700K is 95W).
Hell, even the R5 3600X can hang with the 9700K.

torga

Autocross Champion
I was strong and I resisted. The monitor I want that's normally like $800+ was down to $720 and and I have $70ish in points on amazon to use. Could have been a good deal. I'll wait a little bit longer and save up some more points. I'm considering buying a more expensive toy right now so trying to save my moneys.

What are the specs on that monitor?
I've also got $70 in Amazon points and I'm about to have about $10 more. I'm gonna use them to essentially get my case for free.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion