GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Virginia backroad: Back of the Dragon

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Saw this mentioned on a Facebook page and had never heard of it.

https://www.backofthedragon.com/our-story/

At first glance it’s not a very original name choice (The Tail of the Dragon in NC/TN being the most famous road on the side of the United States), but after reading the bio I guess I’ll let that one slide.

Anyway I’m posting this to hear input on road conditions and police presence (good or bad for the experience). I’m all for supporting LEO, but before driving that far to drive an enthusiast road I’d like to know the general climate (Tail rule of thumb is NEVER cross the center line and you’re golden).

Anyway if you’ve been there let’s see some pictures and feedback on ol Rt 16.

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
BoD is a great road! As far as police presence goes it's pretty light. I've never seen one shooting radar there since I started driving it in 2012. Don't forget about Burke's Garden if you're up that way too. I was up there in my Miata for an annual driving event a couple weeks ago and road conditions were good.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
BoD is a great road! As far as police presence goes it's pretty light. I've never seen one shooting radar there since I started driving it in 2012. Don't forget about Burke's Garden if you're up that way too. I was up there in my Miata for an annual driving event a couple weeks ago and road conditions were good.

Nice! It’s a three hour drive for me to get up there so it would be nice to hit a few different spots.

Any pictures or links for the other road?

paNX2K&SE-R

Go Kart Newbie
Nice! It’s a three hour drive for me to get up there so it would be nice to hit a few different spots.

After you follow 16 up to Tazewell this is the route to get you there:

https://goo.gl/maps/JBE3N4e4LfD1Upht5

Matties place is a cool little Amish cafe/deli.

There are tons and tons of incredible driving roads within 3 hours of us Jake. As a matter of fact these roads are one of the main reasons we moved down here from Pittsburgh lol.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion

About two hours from me and you'd pass my neck of the woods on the way up there. Let me know if you ever want to go run it.