GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

torga

Autocross Champion
Sounds like time to start a little fund for a non problem child printer! That's gotta be aggravating.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Sounds like time to start a little fund for a non problem child printer! That's gotta be aggravating.

Yea that's what I was thinking, but it's a $700 printer and our options with what's compatible is limited and I think they're all expensive. We'll see how problematic it is from here. Not that we can't afford spending the money, but I try to be somewhat conscious on how much we spending.

I feel like we needed new PCs anyway, so at least it wasn't a total waste of time. I even said a few weeks ago I want to build a bunch of new computers for the office soon. About 1/3 of the office is done now and I'll work on the rest sometime next year I think, after our busy season ends.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I just came across this thread... Nice build, congrats!

I just built a new system, myself. Actually I kept my old case but replaced most of the components.

The New:
MSI X570-A PRO motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600
GTX 1660 Ti
16 GB DDR4
500 GB NVMe SSD
144 Hz 24" Monitor

Kept from old system:
Case
PSU (620W)
1 TB HDD

As a plus, I used the old motherboard, CPU, and RAM to make another PC for Network Attached Storage (NAS). Took an old case and threw them in along with a new PSU, network adapter, and 2x 4 TB WD Red HDDs. Now we have a full-time, dedicated Plex server to host our downloaded media.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
How you liking Zen2? My buddy got a 3600X and he's happy with it. I have no complaints about my 3700X.
After the holidays, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU - looking at 2070S or 5700 XT, but I'm leaning green.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I like that 3rd gen Ryzen enables the PCIe 4.0 spec, where 2nd gen limits it to 3.0, so I can get the most from my NVMe. Doesn't help my GPU since it only supports 3.0, but I had future-proofing in mind when picking the CPU and mobo in particular.

How's the IPS display look? I think I spent more time researching monitors than anything else. There are just so many more specs to compare than there used to be! I wanted an IPS at first, but I prioritized gaming over other general stuff I use my PC for, so I ended up going with a low response time, high refresh rate TN.

torga

Autocross Champion
I love my NVMe - boots are so quick.
Photo editing was one of the main reasons I built this PC, so accurate color reproduction was paramount. I did some research on calibrating the screen and it's as accurate as I can tell, so I'm happy. Not too warm, not too blue, not too saturated, etc. Very neutral.
I came from playing a Switch that only does 30fps, so even a 60Hz display was an upgrade lol

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
I love my NVMe - boots are so quick.
Photo editing was one of the main reasons I built this PC, so accurate color reproduction was paramount. I did some research on calibrating the screen and it's as accurate as I can tell, so I'm happy. Not too warm, not too blue, not too saturated, etc. Very neutral.
I came from playing a Switch that only does 30fps, so even a 60Hz display was an upgrade lol

I like your cat.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I think that my 2TB HDD is starting to take a dump. HDDs are slow, but it shouldn't take a 7200rpm HDD over 40 minutes to transfer 4.5GB while constantly hitting 0kB/s transfer speeds. Not only that, but there are files missing from one folder that I know were there. Windows has also started trying to repair this drive on startup.
I ordered a 2TB Adata SU800 SSD, so I'll resolve it this weekend.

Bonus updated photo of rig with big motherfucker cooler (Cryorig H5 Ultimate).

And bonus bonus cat tax.

With that big heatsink & fan setup, are you overclocking the CPU?

torga

Autocross Champion
I like your cat.
Thanks, I like her too! Except when she treats the mouse cursor as a toy.

With that big heatsink & fan setup, are you overclocking the CPU?
Not regularly, it was more of a longevity choice. CPU idle temps are in the 28-30C range, browsing the internet hangs out around 35C, and I haven't seen it get above 60C in gaming yet. With the stock cooler, I would see 75-80C in gaming. Also this CPU cooler is much quieter than the stock cooler.

torga

Autocross Champion
I would like to build a updated PC for photo editing... haven't decided if I'm going to use integrated graphics or an entry level workstation graphics card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jJfqp8
Definitely don't rely on integrated graphics for photo editing. You'll also want as much RAM as you can afford. Really good price for that WD HDD.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Is newegg still a good place to buy parts? I haven't owned a pc in years. Might need to get another one going. I have two lap tops and the newest is 6 years old.

I've been a "mechanic" of sorts for 15 years and I'd just about do anything to not be a mechanic anymore LOL

torga

Autocross Champion
Newegg is still great. SuperBiiz is nice because they don't charge sales tax in a lot of states. I've gotten plenty of stuff from Amazon as well.

torga

Autocross Champion
Can anyone recommend a good brand for a PCIe 6+2 Y-Splitter adapter? I've gotten burned with low quality phone charging cables before and definitely don't want to screw around with my PSU/GPU.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Anyone here do homelab stuff? I'm gonna be getting into it eventually once I get a house I can run cables in