GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Model 3 ruined my life

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I work in the industry. And as an example look at California.

So one state, no proof that this is a systemic issue for all metro areas in the USA?

Your bias is on full display.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I don’t believe a gas generator can charge an electric vehicle.

If you had solar panels and two Tesla power walls you’d have enough juice to power you home and charge your car all while being off grid. How sick is that?

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
I don’t believe a gas generator can charge an electric vehicle.

If you had solar panels and two Tesla power walls you’d have enough juice to power you home and charge your car all while being off grid. How sick is that?
The capability would depend on the size of the generator. It is just a matter of how long it would take to get to whatever level of charge you would need. I merely suggested it as a way to deal with an infrequent emergency situation, not something to do on a regular basis.

https://www.diy-experts.net/charge-ev/

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
Sure but do you charge the car or keep the house warm and the freezers cold? The number of hours you'll have to run to get one 80% charge at 110v is going to burn way more fuel than you can probably afford in an emergency.

My point is E cars are fun and practical during good times. But when things go south you need the reliability and grid independence of a internal combustion vehicle.

One final point. The grid is not getting better. It's actually getting worse in many areas of the country. Adding transportation to it's burden isn't a smart idea.
Q: How do you fuel up your car at a gas station if there isn't any power?
A: You can't.

If you're lucky, you've got a half tank or more of fuel in your car. Or if you're equally lucky with an E car, your battery is halfway or more charged. Either way, an individual needs to conserve whatever resources they have and plan accordingly. I'd probably feel more comfortable with a gasoline powered car during an emergency situation at this stage of the game, too. But I'm also open-minded enough to realize that someone with an E car can prepare for a "worst case scenario" if that is their only method of transportation. Which, for most people, an electric car is not their sole vehicle. I'm not ready to give up my IC cars, but I like seeing the progress that is being made with E cars and would consider one as a second vehicle for our family in the near future.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
So.... Just curious lets say it's your only car. What do you do when the power is out for 3 days due to weather? Just for the sake of argument let's also say your job doesn't allow charging.

If the power is out the gas pumps won't work either.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Vegan
Crossfit
LGBGTRSKUWKDHWUWN
Yelp critic
Harley owner
Dog owner
Coal roller
Tesla owner

This may come to a shock, but nobody outside you and your fellow cult members actually gives a shit.

Here’s a picture to illustrate.
CDB47607-40F7-4948-BED7-167D3F03B732.jpeg

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
I'm just getting caught up on this thread and I'm reaching way back to where the OP said it only costs him $1.65 to charge his car. Where does that math come from? These cars take 50-75kwh to charge (assuming no losses to the charger, which there will be) and most utilities charge $.12-.15 per kwh. So more like $6-12 per charge, maybe $8-15 with charger losses. Still cheap, but not $1.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
I'm just getting caught up on this thread and I'm reaching way back to where the OP said it only costs him $1.65 to charge his car. Where does that math come from? These cars take 50-75kwh to charge (assuming no losses to the charger, which there will be) and most utilities charge $.12-.15 per kwh. So more like $6-12 per charge, maybe $8-15 with charger losses. Still cheap, but not $1.

You and your math... pffft

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
This is about feels not facts you dirty heathen!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion

I pay .05 per kwh in Phoenix. But I don't have an electric car so it doesn't matter. ?

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
I pay .05 per kwh in Phoenix. But I don't have an electric car so it doesn't matter. ?
Are you sure about that? Seemed awful low so I did a quick google

The average residential electricity rate in Phoenix is 11.96¢/kWh. This average (residential) electricity rate in Phoenix is 5.93% greater than the Arizona average rate of 11.29¢/kWh. The average (residential) electricity rate in Phoenix is 0.67% greater than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh.

You must get a special rate?

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
If the power is out the gas pumps won't work either.
Sure but I keep gas in 5 gallon cans in the shed just for those bad days...

My job requires me to report to work during any kind of weather or other event to support restoration efforts. I don't have the luxury of not going in sadly. Really really miss those days.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Are you sure about that? Seemed awful low so I did a quick google

The average residential electricity rate in Phoenix is 11.96¢/kWh. This average (residential) electricity rate in Phoenix is 5.93% greater than the Arizona average rate of 11.29¢/kWh. The average (residential) electricity rate in Phoenix is 0.67% greater than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh.

You must get a special rate?

I'm on the electric companies demand plan which gives me the lower price. That is my off peak price. The price is higher from 3 PM to 8 PM Monday through Friday during the demand hours so I limit my usage during those hours. Just 20 hours per week on the demand time. My highest electric bill this last year was $99.10 and I'm all electric. No natural gas etc available.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
This may come to a shock, but nobody outside you and your fellow cult members actually gives a shit.

So being a "dog owner" is a cult too? What the hell is the matter with you?

#INSTABLOCK