GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Super rare Blackout Edition

KevinC

Autocross Champion
How much money can they be saving by not painting the freaking bumpers?

I can't wait to see a Mk8 really torn down and evaluated. We've already seen the hood prop rod instead of a strut - I can only imagine how much cost cutting the bean counters have wreaked on this poor machine. If they're willing to save such a paltry sum on the strut & some paint, imagine what else they might screw up? Oh another example - the AWFUL grab handles on '19 R's, which seem to fail about about an 80% rate. Somebody probably saved 5c apiece by switching vendors. Now they're drowning in warranty claims.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
How much money can they be saving by not painting the freaking bumpers?

I can't wait to see a Mk8 really torn down and evaluated. We've already seen the hood prop rod instead of a strut - I can only imagine how much cost cutting the bean counters have wreaked on this poor machine. If they're willing to save such a paltry sum on the strut & some paint, imagine what else they might screw up? Oh another example - the AWFUL grab handles on '19 R's, which seem to fail about about an 80% rate. Somebody probably saved 5c apiece by switching vendors. Now they're drowning in warranty claims.
To be fair a tone of companies do this for entry level/bare bones vehicles. You see it more so in the work trucks

KevinC

Autocross Champion
To be fair a tone of companies do this for entry level/bare bones vehicles. You see it more so in the work trucks

The Golf has never been a "bare bones vehicle", certainly not to that extent. And to compare it to a "work truck" merely drives my point home - this is a bean counter's victim, clearly. Gonna be more bad news, no doubt.