GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see your PC's

torga

Autocross Champion
I'd love to have RTX for Doom Eternal when it's released next month, but that ain't gonna happen. The 1080 will have to do, as I just built a whole new rig. I'm not dropping another grand or so in it.
The 1060 was supposed to just hold me over for a few months until I saved up a bit to buy a better card, since I snagged it for $130 "new" (EVGA B-stock), but it's been a champ with some older games I've been playing (Borderlands 2, Witcher 3, various indie games). But I don't expect to enjoy the same image and FPS quality once I start playing some newer AAA games (Fallen Order and soon, Cyberpunk).

KevinC

Autocross Champion
27" late 2015 iMac. I was a PC guy until 2008, building my own rig every other year or so, then passing the old one down to some family member. Decided to try Mac and figured if I hated it, I'd just return it within the 30-day return window. Took about 2 weeks to realize I should have made the switch years earlier. The rest is history.

I'll finally upgrade when the next round of updates comes out, hopefully with some cosmetic changes - the current design is great but has been around forever.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I appreciate the Mac aesthetics - but they are a PITA to work on. In case you want to get in there to do any work, here's the key to unlock the mysteries beneath that glass. ;)
https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cup-suction-lifter-46134.html

Eh. They're just PCs that are a couple of years out of date running a different operating system in a closed ecosystem.

Construction quality is high, but so is a PC of the same price built by a similar integrator, such as Falcon or Puget. Comes down to whether or not you want to pick where your files are stored and manage your own data, or if you just want someone like Apple to handle it all for you.

There are ethical concerns, but purely from a hardware/software perspective, Apple is no more than a different business model. If the IBM PS/2 had taken off, they'd have direct competition, in that regard.

Man, that would have been an interesting show to watch.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Eh. They're just PCs that are a couple of years out of date running a different operating system in a closed ecosystem.

Construction quality is high, but so is a PC of the same price built by a similar integrator, such as Falcon or Puget. Comes down to whether or not you want to pick where your files are stored and manage your own data, or if you just want someone like Apple to handle it all for you....

Scroll back a few pages. My iMac is running an open source O/S and software. I also provided the tool to physically open the system that's now open source. :geek:

Now, I just received a hand-me-down Surface RT. That's a closed source demon that cannot be saved. It's probably going straight to the thrift store donation bin.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
I appreciate the Mac aesthetics - but they are a PITA to work on. In case you want to get in there to do any work, here's the key to unlock the mysteries beneath that glass.

Very true. But I'm done screwing around inside of PC's anyways, so it doesn't bother me at all. Super-simple to add RAM, that's all that mattered to me. I just buy 3 years of AppleCare and don't worry about it. Keep it for 3-4 years, sell on Ebay for ridiculously good money, then hit reset with a new one. That plan has served me well for the last 12 years.

The 27" 5k iMacs are an insanely good value. They don't cost much more than the same monitor would cost as a standalone device. And they hold resale value FAR better than any PC could ever hope to.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Very true. But I'm done screwing around inside of PC's anyways, so it doesn't bother me at all. Super-simple to add RAM, that's all that mattered to me. I just buy 3 years of AppleCare and don't worry about it. Keep it for 3-4 years, sell on Ebay for ridiculously good money, then hit reset with a new one. That plan has served me well for the last 12 years.

The 27" 5k iMacs are an insanely good value. They don't cost much more than the same monitor would cost as a standalone device. And they hold resale value FAR better than any PC could ever hope to.

I'm not sure about that. I've found the powerful brands in quality really hold their value. Falcon Northwest is among the top contenders, in that regard; and priced similarly spec for spec with a Mac Pro.

You're not going to get a Mach 5 for chump change, no matter how old it is, and the higher horsepower Apple stuff kind of drops like a rock after a few years; but you're selling before that happens, and that's a smart move.

Nobody wants someone's custom build, though. It took quite some time for me to get to the point I could sell a system for ten grand with a ten year unconditional hardware warranty. Tailored integration into workstation, industrial, and secure environments is where the money is; as well as custom laptops because so few will do it, unless you push for consumer brand recognition. Every now and again I get to do an Esports or show rig, but it's not often.

Shame, though... That's what you actually want to do, and not too many enthusiasts will pay for it.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Parts are trickling in....

All Apple bashing aside, Jony Ives cheesegrater design can't hang with the toaster!

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Toaster progress...

The PC is running - but just sitting on the table for now:
- Ryzen 5 3600
-16gb ram
-500gb Sata M.2
- GTX 750

There was no-way an ATX power supply is going to fit, so I bought a 450 Watt Modular SFX supply.

The toaster is gutted. The mechanicals were quite elegant, especially given the fact that it was designed well before cad modeling (date stamp on the bottom looks like it was made in 1969) I felt kind of bad tearing it apart.

I need to do some sheet metal fabrication, so the power supply is supported up off the motherboard. The toaster shell will need to simply slip over the whole computer assembly, since the only access would be through the bread slots. I also decided to make the back into the front. It's nicely finished stainless, with no holes. I/O and venting for the power supply will be cut out of the original front. It'll be a few weekends before I'm freed up enough to dive into hacking sheet metal though.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Toaster progress...

The PC is running - but just sitting on the table for now:
- Ryzen 5 3600
-16gb ram
-500gb Sata M.2
- GTX 750

There was no-way an ATX power supply is going to fit, so I bought a 450 Watt Modular SFX supply.

The toaster is gutted. The mechanicals were quite elegant, especially given the fact that it was designed well before cad modeling (date stamp on the bottom looks like it was made in 1969) I felt kind of bad tearing it apart.

I need to do some sheet metal fabrication, so the power supply is supported up off the motherboard. The toaster shell will need to simply slip over the whole computer assembly, since the only access would be through the bread slots. I also decided to make the back into the front. It's nicely finished stainless, with no holes. I/O and venting for the power supply will be cut out of the original front. It'll be a few weekends before I'm freed up enough to dive into hacking sheet metal though.

You know LGR on YouTube is going to flip over that thing. Get it on Twitter and shoot it over to him if you have an account.

Great guy who's really into this sort of thing.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I think I may need to finally update my PC after ~8 years. I went to play COD: WZ last night and while I can play it on normal pretty well, the CPU and graphics card are pegged at 100%. I'd say 8 years without updating (besides an ssd) is a pretty good run

torga

Autocross Champion
It's time to push that warrior out to see on a burning barge. Get yourself a new champion.