GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Punks not dead

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Sometimes you just need to "Shake it off." 🤣

Completely agree with you about music actually getting better. With Soundcloud (I'm still not sure what that actually is) YouTube and social media in general, pretty much anyone can release music. I should consider that next time I have too much whiskey and start playing my Irish Penny Flute. I can play a mean X-Files theme and Candle in the wind from Titanic.

Newer bands like Brian Fallon, Gaslight Anthem, Carina Round, Puscifer, Gin Wigmore and Tiger Army have really surprised me lately. Artists that are still constantly cranking out great music more often than a corporately backed "artist."

I would shake it off, but I don’t care, I love it.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
You nailed it with the internet being such an amazing forum for new bands, there's so much out there it's impossible to keep up.

I'm sure most people can agree that albums from their formative years will always mean more to them and are kept in a constant rotation, but I find I refreshing to come across new talented young bands. I tend to keep up with the hardcore scene more so than traditional punk, and there are so many amazing new bands, it's awesome.

Although I have to say I think "new" must be a relative term, Tiger Army's first EP came out over 20 years ago, and TGA almost 15 years ago 😂
Anything after I graduated high school is new to me!
I would shake it off, but I don’t care, I love it.
I watched her Netflix documentary and gained some serious respect for her. Although still a corporate mogul, she definitely gained a "F$ck it" attitude as far as her expected music mold and politics are.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Anything after I graduated high school is new to me!

I watched her Netflix documentary and gained some serious respect for her. Although still a corporate mogul, she definitely gained a "F$ck it" attitude as far as her expected music mold and politics are.
It can be tough as a punk to admit that some pop music is actually good, and made by people with talent, because pop music has a reputation for being mindless, repetitive junk, but there are a ton of brilliant artists/bands that became popular because they were good enough to deserve the acknowledgment.

Michael Jackson- Pop, but super talented
Prince- Pop, but super talented
The Cars- Pop, but super talented
Weezer- you get the point

Music is my thing. I spend a lot more time on car audio forums, and listening to music than I do on GTI forums, and my philosophy is... Be open minded about music, listen to it all, give it a chance, but after you've explored new things it's perfectly acceptable to be picky, and decide what you like and don't like. There is plenty of punk that I dislike, because it's junk, and there is plenty of pop that I like because it's brilliant. Just be willing to listen (that can be said about a whole lot more than just music), and allow your mind to be changed, don't be too stubborn to revisit things that you may not have liked years ago, but at the same time, if you've given something a chance, and still don't like it, feel free to throw it into the trash.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
It can be tough as a punk to admit that some pop music is actually good, and made by people with talent, because pop music has a reputation for being mindless, repetitive junk, but there are a ton of brilliant artists/bands that became popular because they were good enough to deserve the acknowledgment.

Michael Jackson- Pop, but super talented
Prince- Pop, but super talented
The Cars- Pop, but super talented
Weezer- you get the point

Music is my thing. I spend a lot more time on car audio forums, and listening to music than I do on GTI forums, and my philosophy is... Be open minded about music, listen to it all, give it a chance, but after you've explored new things it's perfectly acceptable to be picky, and decide what you like and don't like. There is plenty of punk that I dislike, because it's junk, and there is plenty of pop that I like because it's brilliant. Just be willing to listen (that can be said about a whole lot more than just music), and allow your mind to be changed, don't be too stubborn to revisit things that you may not have liked years ago, but at the same time, if you've given something a chance, and still don't like it, feel free to throw it into the trash.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
No idea what you are all talking about.

698F5E80-9B0D-4EE5-93D7-F32104D1DBD9.png

GolNat

Autocross Champion

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Today, the world lost one of the most free speaking artists. If you like Bob Dylan, Bad Religion, Pennywise, you wouldn't hear them without John Prine. If you love storytelling in music, enjoy. John Prine made free thinking music OK to listen to. Sadly, he passed away due to complications related to the coronavirus. This one really hurts.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
I like pennywise/nofx/bad religion. All that early 90s snowboard video music. However my punk goes back before that. Dead kennedys/DRI/ cro-mags etc and of course there’s the clash and sex pistols too.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Was listening to offspring smash today.

In rotation: nofx, face to face, ten foot pole, old Green Day (kerplunk), no use for name, tilt, rancid (White album and out come the wolves), propaghandi, operation ivy, flogging molly, dropkick murphys, fugazi bad religion, suicidal tendencies, social distortion, me first and the gimmie gimmies, pennywise, old mxpx, old sum 41, etc

I grew up in the bay area and saw a pile of shows back in the 80s and 90s. Too many to list.

Highlights...

NUFAN did a show where the proceeds went to my friend’s memorial fund after his death.

Was there when Fat Mike puked on stage... you know, that one time.

At the end of each show, Flogging Molly’s drummer throws his autographed set sticks into the crowd. I have one of the two from their set in Tokyo’s Punk Spring ‘08.

Saw a couple mentions of Face to Face.. their live album is one of the best albums to rip up a mountain pass to.
Oh fawk, operation ivy. Damn!!! Makes me think of all the old h street skate videos.
Great band!

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
4E7D5186-39A2-47F9-A98E-C47333F16DF1.png

I’ll listen to anything. Rise against, nofx, six60, misfits, silver chair(lol), sound garden, smashing pumpkins, nirvana, Gucci mane, 36 mafia, project pat, lil troy, country, daddy yankee, old pitbull, johnny cash. All of it. My dad is friends/played with this bearded guy named Billy

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
View attachment 170282

I’ll listen to anything. Rise against, nofx, six60, misfits, silver chair(lol), sound garden, smashing pumpkins, nirvana, Gucci mane, 36 mafia, project pat, lil troy, country, daddy yankee, old pitbull, johnny cash. All of it. My dad is friends/played with this bearded guy named Billy

Yo, I haven’t heard some Three 6 Mafia in a while. I listen to a little bit of everything too.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
tried multi quote but failed...just wanted to add I feel even older now. I saw one poster older than me (59). More bands I go to now are old...last couple rock were Thievery Corp and Gogol Bordello. Still like most everything but mostly go to Jazz/Classical and listen to Alt Country (Devil makes three/Slim Cessna/.357 Stringband/Dad Horse experiment) Music/Art is real important and I go to shows often and along with the diner is what I'm missing with the world situation.

CSB: just watched the Allins a documentary mostly on GG Allins family:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6571500/

worth watching if you like old punk but read descrition 1st...the opening is kinda brutal. So Mrs Mud comes in when I was watching it and asks "is that Sid V?" I tell here GG Allin and she watches it for a while. Then she asks "what was his band called?"...."well when I saw it it was GG Allin and the Scumfucs"...time goes on and then she asked "did he s**t on stage when you saw him?"....."no"

it was an interesting time.