GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Travel Thread - Where have you been?

How many countries have you been to?

• Total voters

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
I remember a few threads where people had questions about other countries, and I'm curious how well traveled our group is. Especially our European members that can just drive around and hit several countries in a day. :ROFLMAO:

I was an Army Brat, so I hit 3-4 fairly easily when I was young. My Mom is German, which means we have some free lodging opportunities if I want to take advantage of them. My wife and I both love to travel, so I'm only going to count the places I remember, and actually did things (no airports).

I've been to 11.

I have some friends in Canada, so I haven't seen the sights as much as their place. Germany, Luxembourg, and France were all within an hour of where we lived in Germany. I still haven't been to Paris, but the rural towns across the border had great roads and good food. Denmark and Sweden I was pretty young, and I can't find my old 35mm pictures. :ROFLMAO:

My favorite place in Germany was in Bavaria near the Eagle's Nest (Hitler's vacation home in the mountains). It's a small church nestled at the base of a mountain lake (Koenigsee) , and is only accessible via an electric ferry. The view is magnificent:
IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

Prague in the Czech Republic was pretty damn cool. I loved the little restaurant we found down on the river near the Charles Bridge.
DSC_6514.jpg

Korea was very claustrophobic, mainly because I was in Seoul. My wife got stationed there a month after we got married. I went to visit once around Christmas, then again at the six month mark when she was actually allowed to take leave.
The first trip, I actually got a chance to take some pictures at the DMZ. I'm counting it as stepping into North Korea, because I crossed the line. I managed to take a pretty cool shot of some North Korean officers on a balcony chatting. It took a 200mm lens and some cropping, but not bad for just resting it on my wife's shoulder.
DSC_7116.jpg

DSC_6805.jpg

Thailand was really my favorite locations though. Between then floating market near Bangkok and the island of Koh Samui, I couldn't have seen more awesome views.
DSC_9339.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
Just on the lower end of "fairly well traveled". Been to Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, Spain, Germany, Czech Republic, and Japan (twice). Lately I've preferred quick 3/4 day jaunts, so I've been traveling a lot more within the CONUS.
Was supposed to go to Japan a third time this past April, but, well... yeah. Haven't been anywhere since NYE timeframe.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Just on the lower end of "fairly well traveled". Been to Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, Spain, Germany, Czech Republic, and Japan (twice). Lately I've preferred quick 3/4 day jaunts, so I've been traveling a lot more within the CONUS.
Was supposed to go to Japan a third time this past April, but, well... yeah. Haven't been anywhere since NYE timeframe.
Oh man, how was Spain? It's on my list. After Italy though. Same with Japan- my wife has been, but I never made it.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
when I was younger I was able to travel more. Job-self empoloyed-keeps me pretty tied up now. But quite a bit of the US, HI. Foreign countries Canada, England (twice) , Scotland, Isle of Man, France, Switzerland for a day, Monaco for a day. Have a lot others on my bucket list but need to retire first!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Great thread.....all lived in or visited:

Antigua
Germany
Denmark
Netherlands
Belgium
Switzerland
Austria
Italy
Israel
Turkey
South Korea

Last edited:

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Thanks to the Navy I have done A LOT of traveling.
Japan - 15 times
Guam
Philipines
Alaska
The North Pole
Panama City, Panama
Panama canal
Thailand
Canada
Mexico
Germany
Australia
South Korea

Attachments

• 5D3_7169.jpg
    17.5 MB · Views: 227
  • 5D3_7531.jpg
    17.5 MB · Views: 213
  • 5D3_7516.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Travel is great to see all the cars we don't get in the US. Plus driving on the other side of the road is awesome. Make sure to rent a nice car that you will enjoy.

1598405009451.png

torga

Autocross Champion
Thanks to the Navy I have done A LOT of traveling.
Japan - 15 times
Guam
Philipines
Alaska
The North Pole
Panama City, Panama
Panama canal
Thailand
Canada
Mexico
Germany
Australia
South Korea
That shot of the boat is terrific -- really shows the action of it.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
This was the porta potty inside the Mugello track. I don't know why I didn't get a picture of the inside bc it was hilarious. We wondered what the hell the 777 was all about. Inside there was a large stainless 'bowl' that you did your business on. Then to the side was a big slot pull handle that would tip the tray over and dump everything down to the bottom.
IMG_0968.JPG

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Countries? Just England back in 2002 on my Honeymoon. Someday I will go to Germany to make the journey to the Ring.

Now within the USA, traveled and lived quite a few. I've lived in 5 states and visited (more than just an airport) 19 of the 50 states plus the cesspool that is DC.