GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discount Tire gives $1 million to campaign against marijuana legalization

Will Discount Tires Recent Donation Change Where You Shop?

• Screw the hippies! I will continue shopping at Discount Tire

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Meh, I don't care as long as I get my tires

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • GIMME DAT WEED. I will no longer support this business

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Doesn’t personally affect me, but I will not support them

Votes: 23 37.1%

• Total voters

dead_catz

Ready to race!
discount hires retired airforce to fly their planes and I admire that so I will continue to shop there as long as they don't scratch my wheels

Philimon

Ready to race!
It's Business 101. You own a business, you're in the business of making money. Worrying about "addressing things" or "appealing to certain customers," works against that. Sometimes you have a business model or product that can take that hit and still be profitable (e.g. Chik Fil A), but for the most part, pissing off a certain segment of the population is just not a recipe for success. Period.

I don't think I was being clear. I was referring to the concepts of public relations and marketing. Maybe thats not touched upon until BUS102? I kid. :w00t:

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
I was thinking the same thing. I don't know what they gain from this at all. Seems a tire company should just stay unbiased on these kind of topics.

Kind of a slap in the face to their workers too who see them throwing around a million like it's nothing, instead of giving raises or whatever.

I am an ex DTC manager (was with them for 12 years). They are owned by a hardcore catholic billionare.

#1 its a tax write off
#2 dtc is afraid of employees smoking weed to the point of doing random drug screens every couple months at each store.
#3 DTC doesn't care about employees other then executive staff. Their MO is to get employees to drink the "dream" Kool-Aid and try to retain as much employees as possible. (I unfortunately fell for it for many years)

In the end who really cares if they are trying to fund anti legalization in the state their corporate office is located?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I am an ex DTC manager (was with them for 12 years). They are owned by a hardcore catholic billionare.

#1 its a tax write off
#2 dtc is afraid of employees smoking weed to the point of doing random drug screens every couple months at each store.
#3 DTC doesn't care about employees other then executive staff. Their MO is to get employees to drink the "dream" Kool-Aid and try to retain as much employees as possible. (I unfortunately fell for it for many years)

In the end who really cares if they are trying to fund anti legalization in the state their corporate office is located?

thanks for further confirming my choice to say fuck you to them and take my business elsewhere.

And some people do care about the legalization movement.

Jaber

Modero
States often look at what others are doing, and can say "see, it works (or kinda does) over there. We should do the same".

Philimon

Ready to race!
I voted to change the amendment in NV which passed. Bro-in-law manages a dispensary here, so will be great for him I imagine.

Edit: I haven't checked since last night but it seemed like all the states with it on their ballot have voted for changing their marijuana laws too.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Gave the tire rack my business.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
It is a bummer how companies of all sorts are continually grtting involved with political issues that have zilch to do with their business. Such as chik fila and the whole homophobic nonsense and not being open on sundays. Its ok, but really has nothing to do with the business. While ultimately, for the most part they will lose X amount of customers and gain x amount back, i dont get why any make such 'bold moves'.

Ideally, if anything they, as a tire shop, would make a great impact on endorsing a way to source rubber more ethically or without destroying the environment as much, yeah? But since most companies do not pay for their environmental impact, they offset by making bold statements elsewhere to take eyes off the shady background stuff.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
It is a bummer how companies of all sorts are continually grtting involved with political issues that have zilch to do with their business. Such as chik fila and the whole homophobic nonsense and not being open on sundays. Its ok, but really has nothing to do with the business. While ultimately, for the most part they will lose X amount of customers and gain x amount back, i dont get why any make such 'bold moves'.

Ideally, if anything they, as a tire shop, would make a great impact on endorsing a way to source rubber more ethically or without destroying the environment as much, yeah? But since most companies do not pay for their environmental impact, they offset by making bold statements elsewhere to take eyes off the shady background stuff.

Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays because of the originator, Truett Cathy's religious belief.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Chick-fil-A is closed on Sundays because of the originator, Truett Cathy's religious belief.
Right - and thats fine, and i get it if he just thinks the business should be closed on Sundays; hell, businesses need a break anyway. But religion has nothing to do with chimkin