GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 Tiguan Engine tick/knock

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So my 2017 tiguan with around 50k miles has a really loud ticking sound when running, mostly when cold and noise follows the RPM. My MK7 GTI has a similar noise but its normal (lifter tick), on the tiguan its way louder. Ive heard these engines cam followers go out or maybe it is normal lifter tick? Short of masking the sound with an engine treatment, is there a better way to diagnose or treat it? I currently don't have the car (girlfriend drove it to haul stuff for the weekend) and I don't have a scan tool that will work on the Tiguan, I'll get one eventually but would like to know if there are physical things to look for. Im thinking of starting with the mechanics stethoscope against the HPFP to start

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I didn't think the newer 2.0T's had the cam follower issues...
I didn't think they did either but its an easy scapegoat haha. I'm not *super* familiar with the platform, but its the same engine as the mk6 right?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
I'll be honest with you...the 2.0T's are sort of tricky.
I know my '06 A4 2.0T had cam follow issues, I actually replaced it myself when I had the car.
But When I traded that in for my MK6, I, for some reason, thought that the cam follower was no longer an issue on the 2.0T motor the MK6 was using.
FSI, TSI, TFSI....I still don't know the difference lol
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Agreed, for some reason theres a lot of confusion about it. And not much info available online.. Guess I'll have to wait to see the engine code when I get the car back so I can diagnose further. ShopDAP and HumbleMechanic had a video about a Tiguan but said the cam follower issues were fixed on the tiguans past a certain year (2012?, 2015?)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Having had 8 TSI engine'd cars....this is the first time I've ever heard of a cam follower issue on the TSI.
That was a huge FSI engine issue, which the Tiguan never had.

The direct injection is loud though on the TSI, and I felt the Tiguan was noisier in the cabin versus a GTI or a CC (with the same engine).

Get a sound clip/video.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Having had 8 TSI engine'd cars....this is the first time I've ever heard of a cam follower issue on the TSI.

The direct injection is loud though on the TSI, and I felt the Tiguan was noisier in the cabin versus a GTI or a CC (with the same engine).

Get a sound clip/video.
I'll grab one when I leave for work tomorrow. It's most likely the injectors as you said, just not used to them being THAT loud. My girlfriend was so concerned when she drove it to her parents house this weekend that she had her dad come out to take a listen to make sure she didnt break it

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Maybe he means the timing tensioner issue the early MK6 TSIs had?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Maybe he means the timing tensioner issue the early MK6 TSIs had?
I checked that first thing based on either humblemechanic or shopdap , I've got the revised one

Thumper

Autocross Champion
It's a low(ish) mileage 2017....the tensioner "shouldn't" be an issue since it has the newer one anyways

Correct, but he was worried about a cam follower that the engine doesn't have. Was searching for a clarification of maybe what he was worried about that WAS on the car. ;) If he said cam follower but MEANT tensioner, than the answer is.....shouldn't be a problem on a 2017. :)

I'll grab one when I leave for work tomorrow. It's most likely the injectors as you said, just not used to them being THAT loud. My girlfriend was so concerned when she drove it to her parents house this weekend that she had her dad come out to take a listen to make sure she didnt break it

I have no direct experience with the Tiggy but I have heardcomments like snobrdrdan mentions about it previously on more than one occasion. No idea if it's an insulation or design issue that amplifies the noise in cabin but it's a known thing with the Tiggy.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yeah it could be completely normal. Not quite sure. I'm taking it for an oil change soon so I'll have them listen to see what they think.