GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More EVs Catching on Fire

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I saw a video last year about a researcher who invented a lithium battery that did not catch on fire even if it was shorted. So you know safety isn't the first thing on carmakers minds. This newer article could give you pause about buying a new VW EV. You might want to find out how much nickel is in the batteries they use. And to be fair, driving a DI gas car where the fuel is compressed to 3,000 PSI doesn't sound particularly safe either.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...oot-as-evs-take-off/ar-BB1a55f1?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
We should all use gasoline instead, and let the unwashed masses fill their own vehicles. What could go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gas+station+fires

LMAO

I will continue to point out if we want to regulate or avoid things that some people are too stupid to do right we would all be wearing white jumpsuits in padded cells.

Kinda says something when the only states that won't allow their own citizens to use fuel pumps is NJ and OR........kinda says something about the population? :ROFLMAO:

The one difference if we're being accurate is that despite what Hollywood would have us think cars don't explode when involved in a crash. In fact, a gas tank can take a pretty good hit and not rupture, where if you hit a lithium battery pack with the same force it almost certainly will burn. The battery doesn't even have to take a direct hit to cause internal shorts. Oh, and if a gasoline tank does burst into flames it does a pretty good job of not bursting into flames again a week later. EV battery packs have a nasty habit of doing that.

FYI, most EVs aren't using nickel anymore, they use lithium which isn't any cleaner but it does provide even more irony when you see some idiot in a Prius with an anti-fracking bumper sticker. Since the same technology used in fracking is how they get lithium.

All anyone really needs to know to really ponder this technological marvel we've created of EVs and using them as a solution is to pay attention to the supply chain. We seem committed to following the money when fighting terrorism but seem unconcerned to follow where our technology comes from. How exactly is a Prius less damaging when a requirement for it to even be put to use is heavy equipment hauling lithium out of the ground, heavy equipment moving it then to a port, heavy equipment then powering the ship to take it to China, heavy equipment then offloading it, heavy equipment moving it to the plant, the energy needed to run the plant.......then shipping the finished product to another factory, then to the assembly plant, and then shipping the final product.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20150402-the-worst-place-on-earth

When evaluating any solution to any problem an intelligent person always considers ALL aspects of the solution. The faux environmentalists and 'green' millionaires seem to enjoy their deception as they push these things down our throats. Many are complicit in their greed for money and power while their minions are just blissful ignorant. Absolutely no one has addressed the "carbon footprint" of how their 'solutions' are made. Nuclear power is constantly decried as evil and toxic, and yet no one is out there protesting the toxic time bomb required for the solution.

When the US, France, Britain, and Germany all start to allow sites like this one to run unhindered in their own countries we can talk about the actual ROI of EVs, solar panels, and the like. However, as long as we look the other way while parts of our planet are literally rotted and burned away so we can walk around smug and lecturing how "I drive a Prius, I'm actually HEALING Mother Earth!" we really can't even have the conversation. Don't even get me started on the Apple-tards waxing poetic about how bad corporations are and evil gas companies while they trade up to the new iPhone every 6 months.

We really do live in a pre-dystopian age right now, for all the indignation and red faced outrage from those who assure us they are compassionate and love all people, the green mass are actually the villains from every dystopian story oppressing the people who live in filth and squalor while they live above it all smug in how benevolent they are. As long as it's the Chinese, South American, and African people that are poisoned and worked in deplorable conditions little Greta can sail the globe, making her angry face, telling us how evil we are for not embracing the 'solution'.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Nice fantasy world. You could stand to understand the upstream impact of the petrochemical world a little better. This is a good place to start:

There are certainly impacts to mining, assembling and shipping heavy metals for batteries, but to single those out and ignore the impact of oil extraction, transportation, refining and distribution is certainly lopsided. There are costs of allowing people to have the freedom of movement that the current world provides, but full life cycle analysis of even my favored method, a bicycle, is not all that favorable. The total impact of my titanium bike is amazingly large, from the extraction of material, to the gasses used to weld it to the hydraulic fluid in the brakes, etc. And my carbon bike is even worse. Aside from walking, and eating a locally grown, vegan diet, there's very little way to not negatively impact the environment.

bentin

Autocross Champion

"The motorbikes were not connected to the charging infrastructure at the time the fire began."

So there was a fire (albeit a pretty cool one). My neighbors house burned down when I was a kid. Their MG B had an oil leak that spread to the hot water heater. Burned the whole place down.

Cars are flammable. So are houses. So are EV's.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
"The motorbikes were not connected to the charging infrastructure at the time the fire began."

So there was a fire (albeit a pretty cool one). My neighbors house burned down when I was a kid. Their MG B had an oil leak that spread to the hot water heater. Burned the whole place down.

Cars are flammable. So are houses. So are EV's.

Lipo fires are no joke. I smoked one of the car jumper packs on accident. The intensity of the fire and amount of smoke was insane for how small the pack was.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Lipo fires are no joke. I smoked one of the car jumper packs on accident. The intensity of the fire and amount of smoke was insane for how small the pack was.
Haven't people died from just the tiny phone battery going up? I know there was a study recently released that said nearly no major municipalities are truly ready to deal with EV crashes.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Haven't people died from just the tiny phone battery going up? I know there was a study recently released that said nearly no major municipalities are truly ready to deal with EV crashes.

Yea I could see that being an issue. Even on 'hybrid' cars there was a lot of protocol as far as technicians go. And the energy density of EV batteries will only increase, I'd hate to be stuck in one if it caught on fire.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Saw an EV pull into a gas station that was smoking. Owner opened the hood and it was on fire. They got a fire extinguisher and that didn't do anything. I didn't wait around to see what would happen. And why the hell would you pull into a gas station knowing your car is on fire. I think his next stop was a fireworks stand and a magnesium plant 😂

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Nice fantasy world. You could stand to understand the upstream impact of the petrochemical world a little better. This is a good place to start:

There are certainly impacts to mining, assembling and shipping heavy metals for batteries, but to single those out and ignore the impact of oil extraction, transportation, refining and distribution is certainly lopsided. There are costs of allowing people to have the freedom of movement that the current world provides, but full life cycle analysis of even my favored method, a bicycle, is not all that favorable. The total impact of my titanium bike is amazingly large, from the extraction of material, to the gasses used to weld it to the hydraulic fluid in the brakes, etc. And my carbon bike is even worse. Aside from walking, and eating a locally grown, vegan diet, there's very little way to not negatively impact the environment.
The environmental impact involved with going solar is crazy too. A family who decides to slap on some solar panels, their carbon footprint explodes upwards due to what’s involved and how much pollution is required to create and manufacture the panels.

It’s so crazy high, even if the panels lasted three decades you’d still be in the red.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Saw an EV pull into a gas station that was smoking. Owner opened the hood and it was on fire. They got a fire extinguisher and that didn't do anything. I didn't wait around to see what would happen. And why the hell would you pull into a gas station knowing your car is on fire. I think his next stop was a fireworks stand and a magnesium plant 😂
A Tesla roadster (the first Tesla) in Miami caught fire at a red light. And it kept catching fire. For two whole days.