cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like a good improvement! despite no turbo

basic specs off the top of my head:
228hp - up from 205hp
180ftlbs - up from 150ftlbs
2.4 litre boxer - up from 2.0 litre
<2900lbs curb weight - up from 2800lbs

Looks wise - I think it is also a huge improvement, interior and exterior. I also like that the wheel offset appears to be far more appropriate than the outgoing version. I am looking forward to seeing what the PP model will be like when they inevitably make one the following model year.

check the youtube vids (I am not so sure how to imbed)

Disclaimer: I owned a 2013 FR-S until I bought my current 2018 GTI

torga

Autocross Champion
The biggest upgrade IMO is peak torque is now achieved at 3700rpm rather than 6400rpm before. The torque curve is SUPER flat now, lots of area under it. This is gonna go a long way to making this car feel quicker out of corners.

I'm curious to see if Toyota makes their model just a twin to the BRZ again, or if they get more creative with it.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Looks like a 350z. Meh
I see that. The outgoing models definitely looked a bit more aggressive.

I’d be interested in LS swapping one.
With the improved torque curve, I wonder how a simple turbo kit and tune on this new engine would compare to an LS swapped version.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I see that. The outgoing models definitely looked a bit more aggressive.

With the improved torque curve, I wonder how a simple turbo kit and tune on this new engine would compare to an LS swapped version.

Probably can’t throw much boost at it with stock internals, but I’m sure there will be kits available

2jz is the only swap I'd consider on this

That would be cool too, but a LS is so cheap/easy/reliable I’ve always wanted to build a LS based toy.

SEMA 2021 will definitely have at least one of these 2JZ swapped

AM407

Autocross Champion
Not sure if I think it looks better or worse than the old one, but tbh I don’t really care how it looks.

The important thing is that they didn’t mess with the formula and they kept it NA. I can deal with a turbo in the GTI, but give me that linear NA throttle response in a proper sports car.

Pretty sure this will be the replacement for my GTI in a couple of years.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Minivans can still torch it in a straight line.

And they've made it uglier.

Just get a Miata, at least it'll look nice while you're getting torched by Vans and Crossovers.

torga

Autocross Champion
Minivans can still torch it in a straight line.

And they've made it uglier.

Just get a Miata, at least it'll look nice while you're getting torched by Vans and Crossovers.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The objective point of cars like the Miata and FRS/BRZ is not to go faster than other things in a straight line, but to go faster than many things when turning is involved.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The objective point of cars like the Miata and FRS/BRZ is not to go faster than other things in a straight line, but to go faster than many things when turning is involved.
I get that.

It's still embarrassing that you have to yield to people carriers cause you can't out accelerate them.

Personal opinions obviously.

torga

Autocross Champion
I get that.

It's still embarrassing that you have to yield to people carriers cause you can't out accelerate them.

Personal opinions obviously.
Maybe with the much better torque curve on the new one, that'll get alleviated a bit.