GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Implementation of Data Caps for Home Internet

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Comcast already does this in plenty of areas. I've been capped at 1TB for at least a couple years now.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Comcast already does this in plenty of areas. I've been capped at 1TB for at least a couple years now.
same. i gotta pay $30 extra a month to remove the damn cap!

with the state of the world, it has become more and more obvious that internet is a utility. imagine your at cap but your kid still has online school for another week or two before your next cycle.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Comcast can suck it!!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
They basically have a monopoly around me and they know it. Customer service is crap and they can basically charge whatever they want cause what else are you gonna do. Where I’m at now they won’t run a cable out to me so I’m using hotspot data from AT&T.

1TB would be plenty for me tho as I don’t play games or watch movies really. The kids can do DVD’s.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I have limitless (no cap) Gig (1Gbps) for $105/month. :cool:

To play Devil's Advocate, if we want to consider it a utility we have to compare it to other utilities. I don't have a flat fee with any of my utilities. My water, electricity, and gas usage are all billed at per unit pricing. My trash collection is a flat fee but it's also capped with additional pickups charged an extra fee. Some such as electricity actually have tiers of usage where if I go over a certain amount my cost per unit goes up as well.

So in comparison if internet is a utility it is actually a pretty reasonable one. I certainly don't want the hassle of a per unit cost basis for internet although it would be more fair and would not fault them for doing it. That way the person who only uses 250GB of data in a month would pay less than me who consumes about 3-4TB of data a month.

But if the complaint is about caps on flat fee usage, I would suggest that it's pretty good right now (outside of comparisons of speed and availability with competitors and pricing of course) and rocking the boat will get you paying MORE with per unit pricing.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
If you live in an area that has Century Link and get the price for life plan. $45 unlimited data.

oshaka125

Another problem with their internet is, they’re not giving the same speed of the internet they advertised. I tried checking my internet speed and that speed test tool showed the best results but I was feeling that the speed of the internet’s slow. I tried checking it using another speed test tool and finally got accurate results. Then I found out that I was not getting the expected speed of the internet and that’s why I changed my broadband. I would recommend you all to keep checking your internet speed here https://www.allspeedtest.com/ to figure out the real speed of the internet you are getting.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Another problem with their internet is, they’re not giving the same speed of the internet they advertised. I tried checking my internet speed and that speed test tool showed the best results but I was feeling that the speed of the internet’s slow. I tried checking it using another speed test tool and finally got accurate results. Then I found out that I was not getting the expected speed of the internet and that’s why I changed my broadband. I would recommend you all to keep checking your internet speed here https://www.allspeedtest.com/ to figure out the real speed of the internet you are getting.
Welcome to the forum.

krs

Autocross Champion
I have limitless (no cap) Gig (1Gbps) for $105/month. :cool:

To play Devil's Advocate, if we want to consider it a utility we have to compare it to other utilities. I don't have a flat fee with any of my utilities. My water, electricity, and gas usage are all billed at per unit pricing. My trash collection is a flat fee but it's also capped with additional pickups charged an extra fee. Some such as electricity actually have tiers of usage where if I go over a certain amount my cost per unit goes up as well.

So in comparison if internet is a utility it is actually a pretty reasonable one. I certainly don't want the hassle of a per unit cost basis for internet although it would be more fair and would not fault them for doing it. That way the person who only uses 250GB of data in a month would pay less than me who consumes about 3-4TB of data a month.

But if the complaint is about caps on flat fee usage, I would suggest that it's pretty good right now (outside of comparisons of speed and availability with competitors and pricing of course) and rocking the boat will get you paying MORE with per unit pricing.

Edited for clarity

My city here owns the Fiber network, as it's a piggy back off their power infrastructure, and it's designated as a city utility. The more people signed up, the lower the price will be as it's spread out among more people.

So I pay the city $25 a month for 1GB, uncapped fiber internet. I do need a ISP as well, which is another $30. Fiber rocks compared to what I had before, and my speeds are pretty true to what I pay for.

torga

Autocross Champion
Internet should be classified as a utility, full stop. End of story.
It's important enough in everyone's lives that it needs to be treated like water, gas, and electricity. Individual companies cannot continue to hold this much power and sway over these services.

zrickety

The Fixer
I remember when cell phone companies would give you unlimited data for free. Way back in the day.
Broadband at home used to be unlimited.
Have mediacom now, and they really suck. We use about 80% of our 1TB every month and it costs $80.
As someone else mentioned, speed is not as fast as they claim. Local monopoly.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I remember when cell phone companies would give you unlimited data for free. Way back in the day.
Broadband at home used to be unlimited.
Have mediacom now, and they really suck. We use about 80% of our 1TB every month and it costs $80.
As someone else mentioned, speed is not as fast as they claim. Local monopoly.

Just FYI, a provider can only provide the advertised speed for data on their own local area network and almost all the things you do come from beyond their network. Here is sample text from Mediacom which is much the same as other local providers. This is the text and there is even more detailed text about what you are getting in terms of throughput. They say UP TO a certain speed which would be under ideal conditions. Mediacom can have a fast network but it can only feed you the info as fast as they receive it from sites out on the Internet. That is why they say up to. For instance if the data was coming to the mediacom network at 100mbps and you have a 100mbps plan that would be ideal but not likely to ever happen nor is it necessary for most purposes. Usually there are many users for any given service and you get the data at whatever speed the sending server has available. I have over simplified what really happens but buying a 100mb plan doesn't mean you are going to see all data come to your computer at that speed. Only under ideal conditions which of course would hardly ever occur.