GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Losing data connection

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
About a month ago my Golf 8 Style lost its data connection. So for example no information was posted to We Connect, the WiFi hotpot had no Internet, no access to the Shop etc.

I took it into my dealer and they "reset the server" which fixed the problem. Now a month later the issue us back.

Anyone else having this problem?

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
About a month ago my Golf 8 Style lost its data connection. So for example no information was posted to We Connect, the WiFi hotpot had no Internet, no access to the Shop etc.

I took it into my dealer and they "reset the server" which fixed the problem. Now a month later the issue us back.

Anyone else having this problem?
I take it you have privacy settings set to Share my Position?

What is your software version? Since our’s was updated to 1668 we’ve had a stable connection to the servers.

One other thing you might try is to set your privacy to most restrictive and then leave the car locked for 10 minutes. Go back, unlock and change settings to Share my Position and this might force the connection. When it connects, the globe on the top right of the infotainment screen should be white, not greyed out. It doesn’t always work, but worth a try.....

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
I take it you have privacy settings set to Share my Position?

What is your software version? Since our’s was updated to 1668 we’ve had a stable connection to the servers.

One other thing you might try is to set your privacy to most restrictive and then leave the car locked for 10 minutes. Go back, unlock and change settings to Share my Position and this might force the connection. When it connects, the globe on the top right of the infotainment screen should be white, not greyed out. It doesn’t always work, but worth a try.....
Yes - the globe is greyed out. My privacy settings are correct.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give it a try and feedback whether that works.

I don't have the new software update yet. My car is booked in to the workshop next week and I have asked them to check whether the latest big update is relevant for my car so hopefully when I get it back I'll be on the latest. Hoping that will also fix the 2 other issues I have and which VW are aware of. When I checked last month they were still waiting for VW technical to come back with a fix for those so I'm not hopeful the update will fix those.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
No I'm afraid still no connection so will need to wait for VW to sort it.
Ok - worth a try. Hopefully the dealer will do the software update. Apparently one of the software changes is to the aerial control module. Mind you, the update takes around 6 hours.

Last edited:

AngusC

I have had a similar problem for the past week or so. No internet connection, "grey globe" on central display. I've tried soft reset, hard reset, tightening the privacy settings - nothing worked so looks like a visit to the dealer is in order for me too. I'm on software version 1664.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Handydave does Android auto wireless work with the 1668? I know that it is working for anyone that got the Golf built after week 48.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Handydave does Android auto wireless work with the 1668? I know that it is working for anyone that got the Golf built after week 48.
I'm afraid not....

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
Herbert Diess recently announced breaking times to happen.

Well, in my case, happened today in the morning (05. 02. 2021) after globe became white, being gray since 27. 01. 2020. First longer "grayout" since october 2020.
Maybe there is some truth in saying, that car resets itself (approx) each 8 days...

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine also started working again today and it's at least 8 days since it stopped so maybe you're right about it automatically resetting. Still not satisfactory though.

My car's booked in next week so I'll still take it in and see whether they'll apply the latest update.

AngusC

Mine connected again this morning (07.02.21), stopped working on 23.01.21. This is my first lost connection since I collected the car in lat November. Bit frustrating, but all ok for now.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Thankfully ours has had a stable connection since the update to software version 1668. Hopefully your dealer will update your's when it's convenient for you.

AngusC

Thankfully ours has had a stable connection since the update to software version 1668. Hopefully your dealer will update your's when it's convenient for you.
Thanks @Handydave. Fingers crossed it stays stable for a while. My dealer is is in a different local authority area, so under Scottish rules I'm unable to travel there until restrictions ease. I don't think "my car is not connecting to the internet" would be seen as essential travel....:)

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Rather disappointing. Took my car into the dealership. They just told me that they had tested the data connection and it was working - which I knew. My concern of course is that I will lose the connection again unless a fix is applied. At least I had my car washed I guess.

I asked to talk to their master technician and he told me that they are not able to apply any major software updates unless VW tell them to do so. He said the updates take so long that VW will do the updates by recalling vehicles in batches to manage the workload. He also said that they in the dealership are given no information by VW on what fixes are included in any update so he would have no idea whether any update would fix my outstanding issues.

As I have now had problems outstanding for 5 months with no information on when/if they would be resolved, I called VW customer services and complained. The lady I spoke to was of course just a customer care person and not a technician so couldn't comment on those issues. She told me that she would pass on the details of my problems and my complaint to VW technical and that someone would call me back within 48 hours. But she also said that the correct route for resolving issues is via a dealer so I'm not holding out much hope for any action.

My software release is 1664 and I see that others have 1668 so I'm hoping that there is a later release available to me.