GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$75,000 and a (car) dream...

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Cayman/Boxster kill another discussion. They really are that good.

I'd agree with you EXCEPT, I am looking to daily drive the car. This puts the TTRS (AWD) ahead of the Cayman (RWD) for the area that I live in (North East).

I am very close to finalizing a deal on a 2021 TTRS :) Just debating the (very low) trade-in value they're offering me on my GTI vs. going the route of private selling my car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'd agree with you EXCEPT, I am looking to daily drive the car. This puts the TTRS (AWD) ahead of the Cayman (RWD) for the area that I live in (North East).

I am very close to finalizing a deal on a 2021 TTRS :) Just debating the (very low) trade-in value they're offering me on my GTI vs. going the route of private selling my car.
No shame in that. TTRS is a great package, probably more character than a Cayman S. At the end of the day, in dry conditions, the Cayman will be faster stock for stock and handle better. TTRS is a great platform for modding. I'd be happy to own either.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
No shame in that. TTRS is a great package, probably more character than a Cayman S. At the end of the day, in dry conditions, the Cayman will be faster stock for stock and handle better. TTRS is a great platform for modding. I'd be happy to own either.

Yeah, I wish I didn't have to worry about weather conditions... The Cayman is hands-down the better factory produced performance car of the two.

BUT, if you move away from stock configurations and start down the modding rabbit hole, the TTRS becomes a beast that eventually eats the Cayman.

(I don't plan on modding, sadly)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I wish I didn't have to worry about weather conditions... The Cayman is hands-down the better factory produced performance car of the two.

BUT, if you move away from stock configurations and start down the modding rabbit hole, the TTRS becomes a beast that eventually eats the Cayman.

(I don't plan on modding, sadly)
I didn't have PLANS to mod the GTI. It just accidentally happened. I was walking through the garage, tripped, and boom, car was tuned.

It happens.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
I didn't have PLANS to mod the GTI. It just accidentally happened. I was walking through the garage, tripped, and boom, car was tuned.

It happens.
When we bought it, i said to myself, "derpy little front drive hatchback, not gonna waste money modding this..."

Now I've got fuel mods good for around 1000 hp waiting to go in, a turbo good for nearly 800, and I'm looking at dodson clutches and verkline subframes and suspension.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
When we bought it, i said to myself, "derpy little front drive hatchback, not gonna waste money modding this..."

Now I've got fuel mods good for around 1000 hp waiting to go in, a turbo good for nearly 800, and I'm looking at dodson clutches and verkline subframes and suspension.

Similar story, I traded in a POS Charger Super Bee for the GTI, told the wife it would save us money and be a fun cheap little car. Three years later when I traded it in on an S3 I had spent close to $5k on it and it was responsible for my track addiction fueled by even more money. lol

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Maybe grab the RS3 instead of the TTRS, unless all the RS3 parts from IROZ fit, then fire away.

I initially wanted the RS3... and was waiting patiently for the new 2021... then COVID happened and the production of the 2021 (now 2022) RS3 got pushed along with it's release (early/mid 2022 in the US). I'm getting antsy and I don't want to buy a 2020 RS3, especially knowing the 2022 RS3 will have the new torque vectoring AWD system among other quality of life/performance upgrades... So I started looking at the TTRS as a result of the RS3 delay and now I can't convince myself out of it. I will say though, I test drove a Tesla Model 3 Performance over the weekend and it surprised me how much I didn't hate it...

BAH

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm not against electric cars at all, but infrastructure is still limited and I'm waiting until you can do 200 to 300 miles on 5 min of charging in a $30k car.

We'll get there, but aren't there yet.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I'm not against electric cars at all, but infrastructure is still limited and I'm waiting until you can do 200 to 300 miles on 5 min of charging in a $30k car.

We'll get there, but aren't there yet.
It's a usage case for sure, but for us, not having to ever take the wife's car to a gas station will be nice. We rarely use her car for road trips anyway, so quick public charges are nice, but probably something we'd never use.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's a usage case for sure, but for us, not having to ever take the wife's car to a gas station will be nice. We rarely use her car for road trips anyway, so quick public charges are nice, but probably something we'd never use.
For us, wife's car is the road trip car and comfortable car, mine is commute and my toy.

I have a buddy with a Leaf and it works for his daily, and he loves it. I just have a much longer commute.

bentin

Autocross Champion
For us, wife's car is the road trip car and comfortable car, mine is commute and my toy.

I have a buddy with a Leaf and it works for his daily, and he loves it. I just have a much longer commute.
I do think that fast charging is the best chance for the major brands to challenge Tesla. They've been oddly complacent about getting onboard with quick charging.

VAG has pretty decent quick charging on the latest and I suspect they'll just keep getting better.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I do think that fast charging is the best chance for the major brands to challenge Tesla. They've been oddly complacent about getting onboard with quick charging.

VAG has pretty decent quick charging on the latest and I suspect they'll just keep getting better.
I'd kill for an electric mk8 GTI with 280ish hp, 300 mile range with a quick charge, under 3200lbs and costing $30k ish.

Last edited: