GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello and welcome. Introduce yourselves here

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I have been posting here for a few months, and never knew this thread existed until tonight. Anywho, my name is Mike and my 2016 GTI S is my first GTI and VW ever. The GTI has always been on the list of dream cars that I could actually afford, and the stars had aligned over the summer (and the wife said yes)....so I ditched my dreadfully dull and depressing Dart I was driving around and picked up what is hands down the most fun car I have ever driven. I really dig how the community is around the car as well. I love to dive in to anything I am interested in and there is so much info out there and so many conversations to be had.

These cars really are amazing, sure they should have shipped the GTI with a Stg1 from the factory but compared to other stuff in the class still a gem. Wife and I had fallen in love with VW in 09 with a Jetta TDI after peeling away from the Chevies I was raised to believe were infallible (even after several warranty claims on every Camaro and truck I ever owned). I ended up trading in my 2008 Dodge Charger Super Bee for a 2012 GTI 4dr Manual and it was the best swap in the world. From a $50k+ 425HP muscle car to a $30k 200HP hatchback and there was no contest the GTI was better in every way except exhaust sound and that was easily fixed.

Welcome aboard!!!

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
These cars really are amazing, sure they should have shipped the GTI with a Stg1 from the factory but compared to other stuff in the class still a gem. Wife and I had fallen in love with VW in 09 with a Jetta TDI after peeling away from the Chevies I was raised to believe were infallible (even after several warranty claims on every Camaro and truck I ever owned). I ended up trading in my 2008 Dodge Charger Super Bee for a 2012 GTI 4dr Manual and it was the best swap in the world. From a $50k+ 425HP muscle car to a $30k 200HP hatchback and there was no contest the GTI was better in every way except exhaust sound and that was easily fixed.

Welcome aboard!!!

Oh no doubt. The GTI is just so well rounded. It may not be the best at any one thing, but that doesn't matter because it does everything so damn good.

ImpetuousOne

Ready to race!
Hey all! 1st post!

Bought my Pure White '20 GTi S w/DSG on Dec. 5th. Got a great deal ($6G off w/0.9% financing) since they had '21 models on the lot and this was the last 2020. Traded in a stock tune '16 Ecoboost Mustang w/select-shift auto & had a Stratified tuned '17 Fiesta ST prior to that. All 3 DI turbos, but with 3 different transmissions and 2 drive layouts. Funny thing is, all have the same fluffy, laggy throttle pickup. Got a BMS Pedal Tuner ordered and on the way!

As is the case with my luck, the car purchase came 3 days prior to an unexpected, mandatory 2 week quarantine. With nothing to do, I installed an APR non-resonated catback with 70 miles on the odometer. The sound was pretty underwhelming, so I had a local shop cut out the APR muffler and weld in a 3" Vibrant 1794 bottle resonator. It was a perfect slip-fit, as well as length-wise. Sounds pretty decent now. Nice and deep.

The oem wheels, aesthetically, are not too shabby and I almost talked myself into running them long-term. Sure, they prob weigh a ton, but I like 'em. Still, I knew a change was inevitable. Had the factory tires swapped over to a set of bronze 18x8.5 Neuspeed RSE06. The extra width and new offset comes out "almost" flush in back and the tire stretch isn't that aggressive.

Just finished up my sub & amp install on Monday. Running a Kicker CXA800.1 Mono, powering a 12" Kicker CompVR at 1 ohm in a polyfil stuffed, sealed box. Still have some tuning to mess with and hoping my LOC wire taps behind the infotainment unit get full frequency.

Next endeavor is finding a rear seat delete kit, mostly to remove those lead-filled seat backs, but also to better hear the exhaust. Might sell the Kicker setup for something smaller since it's taking up space my mountain bike needs.

I'm always lying to myself in saying "not planning much else for this one." We'll see though, lol

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I'm always lying to myself in saying "not planning much else for this one." We'll see though, lol

LOL Welcome to the club man, meeting are every Thursday in the rec center.

Austin Hale

Hello everyone, I am the latest addition to the community. I have added a photo of my car for your reference.

Attachments

• 2007 Volkswagen Golf.jpg
    2007 Volkswagen Golf.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 246

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Hey all! 1st post!

Bought my Pure White '20 GTi S w/DSG on Dec. 5th. Got a great deal ($6G off w/0.9% financing) since they had '21 models on the lot and this was the last 2020. Traded in a stock tune '16 Ecoboost Mustang w/select-shift auto & had a Stratified tuned '17 Fiesta ST prior to that. All 3 DI turbos, but with 3 different transmissions and 2 drive layouts. Funny thing is, all have the same fluffy, laggy throttle pickup. Got a BMS Pedal Tuner ordered and on the way!

As is the case with my luck, the car purchase came 3 days prior to an unexpected, mandatory 2 week quarantine. With nothing to do, I installed an APR non-resonated catback with 70 miles on the odometer. The sound was pretty underwhelming, so I had a local shop cut out the APR muffler and weld in a 3" Vibrant 1794 bottle resonator. It was a perfect slip-fit, as well as length-wise. Sounds pretty decent now. Nice and deep.

The oem wheels, aesthetically, are not too shabby and I almost talked myself into running them long-term. Sure, they prob weigh a ton, but I like 'em. Still, I knew a change was inevitable. Had the factory tires swapped over to a set of bronze 18x8.5 Neuspeed RSE06. The extra width and new offset comes out "almost" flush in back and the tire stretch isn't that aggressive.

Just finished up my sub & amp install on Monday. Running a Kicker CXA800.1 Mono, powering a 12" Kicker CompVR at 1 ohm in a polyfil stuffed, sealed box. Still have some tuning to mess with and hoping my LOC wire taps behind the infotainment unit get full frequency.

Next endeavor is finding a rear seat delete kit, mostly to remove those lead-filled seat backs, but also to better hear the exhaust. Might sell the Kicker setup for something smaller since it's taking up space my mountain bike needs.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Phoenician. Congrats on the car purchase.

wario406

Ready to race!
What got you into VWs? What do you drive? What do you hope to buy? Option Spec? Anything on-topic or just say Hi

Been into cars a VERY LONG TIME. I’ve had quite a few cars, and quite a few VW’s and Audi’s. Air cooled beetle in the 70’s, a diesel pickup in the 90’s, a number of B5 Audi’s (sedans and wagons), a 2002 TT-225 (chipped), and now a 2021 GTI S that I daily. I got rid of my built Jeep Wrangler JKU to fund the GTI. I plan on driving the wheels off the GTI. The GTI is BRAND NEW and bone stock. I have a Neuspeed that I’m going to drop in at 1.5k miles. Looking to keep out of warranty jail until it expires, then I’ll but putting on a Stage 2 kit with a tune for the motor and DSG as well as a down pipe. I’m considering upgrading the rear sway bar, and probably will do a nice set of wheels at some point. Long time outdoors guy who likes to hike. I also shoot a couple of firearms competitions each year and exercise at the range regularly. Looking forward to getting to know this crowd better.

Hi.
AFBBCD39-3FCC-4B71-AA26-F2452119EC1C.jpeg

Last edited:

Fatfred_topless

New to the forum, not got the Golf yet but just bought a 2013 SE cabriolet. 1.6D Bluemotion Tech.

Pressie for the Missus but I'll be to one looking for answers!
Didn't want a Black one, it's black. Didn't want a Diesel, it's a derv. Price and genuine 20k miles made it a no brainer.

Just wanted to say hi

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
New to the forum, not got the Golf yet but just bought a 2013 SE cabriolet. 1.6D Bluemotion Tech.

Pressie for the Missus but I'll be to one looking for answers!
Didn't want a Black one, it's black. Didn't want a Diesel, it's a derv. Price and genuine 20k miles made it a no brainer.

Just wanted to say hi
Welcome to the forum also. Enjoy the fuel mileage.

Dan_SCH

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum, and just picked up a 2010 Golf 2.5L 4 door. It’s my first car at 20 y/old, and I’m super excited about it! I’ve heard really good things about the 2.5 engine, and when I test drove in one I was very surprised. I expected a Golf to be nothing special or not really anything speedy. But man when I tested my first 2.5L I couldn’t stop grinning. It’s so surprisingly quick and fun to drive. (Manual as well)

I’m relatively new to cars in general in terms of modifications and such, but I can definitely hold my own and learn quickly.

I guess to start I have one question. My car didn’t come with summer wheels or tires, only winters, so I’d like some suggestions on what to buy. Car is black, and I’m looking for a good balance between price and quality. Located in Canada so Canadian based shops would be ideal. Thank you! I look forward to posting updates on here as time goes on.

Jgilber0

Go Kart Champion
Hello all!

I just bought a 2021 S model, white with a 6MT from Lakeland VW here in Florida. Great dealer- worth the trip.

New S model GTIs are so discounted at this point that they’re selling for just slightly more than nice used ones. Rather than buying something out of warranty and worrying about it, I decided to step up and get one of the last MK7.5s.

I have wanted a GTI since the early 1980s. Over the years, I’ve looked at them again again, but bought smaller SUVs instead. Now that I’m in my mid-50s, I’ve decided that it’s time to get what I really want.

My son and I picked the car up yesterday and drove it home on US and state highways. It was a total joy, and we could barely stop from high-fiving each other the whole way back.Now I keep looking at it in the garage and thinking, “that’s mine!”

My plan is to teach my son how to drive a manual transmission in it, autocross it, and use it on occasional track days. The rest of the time it will be my daily driver. As for mods, I’m planning to add splash guards, tint, and perhaps in the future, a stage one tune. We’ll see what else comes later.

In the past, I have owned a Corvair convertible and a NA Miata. I also currently own an e30 325i convertible, also white. The GTI’s handling reminds me a bit of the Miata, which I still miss. Both feel like they are on rails going around curves.

I appreciate all of the great content on this forum, and I will contribute as able. Thank you!

751B1583-0F8F-4E71-84B9-3FB34F7B38B9.jpeg

6F82BF44-C6F3-4295-9572-EEF0BE825BC4.jpeg

Iconic plaid interior

A8A8EDAB-9A1C-4A40-A760-A20ECF1CD2BA.jpeg

Salesperson Trey Chapman and my son