GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 Formula 1 Season

torga

Autocross Champion
No spoilers here, but I think we could see an interesting quali.....
If FP2 is anything to go off... heck yeah. Let's shake some things up.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Felt bad for Bottas with the botched pit stop today. Haven't been watching F1 for long but it seemed like he had a chance to shine outside of Hamilton's light for once. Also sucks for Ferrari with Leclerc's axle. I was excited to see something other than HAM/VER/BOT... But not like this

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
I agree, that was painful to see. I'm still really happy with the end result though.

I'm still getting blown away by Norris' performance week after week. He's really shining with McLaren and somehow being a consistent podium finisher, and if not only a few slots behind. I'm really glad he's making a name for himself, always been one of my favorite personalities outside of Danny Ric. Glad to see Carlos giving Ferrari a ferrari-esque performance, but still feel so bad for Charles, poor guy will never see the finish at Monaco.

Max in the lead for the World Champion title? Yes, please.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Monaco just gets worse and worse every year it seems. Outside of those couple surprise retirements literally nothing happened. I know I shouldn't be surprised, it's just disappointing. The cars are just too damned big

bentin

Autocross Champion
Monaco just gets worse and worse every year it seems. Outside of those couple surprise retirements literally nothing happened. I know I shouldn't be surprised, it's just disappointing. The cars are just too damned big
Has there ever been passing at Monaco? It's such a crappy track. I mean, yeah, it's got history, but it's just about as exciting to watch as if it were in a mall parking lot. Even the front engined cars didn't pass there. Bring back banked Monza or the full Nurburgring, or hell, even Watkins Glen. Oh, and refueling, you sissies, you set Romain on fire, but can't handle the pressure in the pits?

codypka

Go Kart Champion
Has there ever been passing at Monaco? It's such a crappy track. I mean, yeah, it's got history, but it's just about as exciting to watch as if it were in a mall parking lot. Even the front engined cars didn't pass there. Bring back banked Monza or the full Nurburgring, or hell, even Watkins Glen. Oh, and refueling, you sissies, you set Romain on fire, but can't handle the pressure in the pits?
100% agree on the re-fueling. And make the tanks small enough that cars need to stop 2 or more times

bentin

Autocross Champion
100% agree on the re-fueling. And make the tanks small enough that cars need to stop 2 or more times
Yep, and dear lord, let's kill the stupid ass 1.6L V6 formula, just let them run what they want and give them ample fuel to allow a V12 if that's what Fezza wants to run. The current cars sound about as exciting as going to a LeMons race, hell, a Spec Miata race sounds better.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I think it is a great track. Trouble being the cars have evolved & the track hasn't. Not sure they could change the track enough to make passing possible. Such a processional race, I about fell asleep watching it.

As for fueling & more pitstops go, for me it's racing on the track that matters.

bentin

Autocross Champion
As for fueling & more pitstops go, for me it's racing on the track that matters.
But that's the issue, isn't it? For a track that's purely processional, you need pit strategy to be the x factor. I've walked the Monaco "track" on an off weekend and it's surprisingly narrow, the widest parts are narrower than the narrowest parts of the other tracks I've been too, Silverstone, COTA, Indy, Hockenheim and both the full and F1 N'Ring. There's just no way to redo it to allow passing, so it's always going to be the pole sitter who wins, unless they grenade the transmission on the last turn of qualifying. Just the drama of Bottas getting hosed by his inept pit crew was a highlight of this year's race. Add in fueling and it gives another opportunity for something interesting. As a secondary benefit of adding refueling, you can make the cars narrower and shorter, giving the added benefit of more capacity for passing at places like COTA, Spa and the Hungaroring.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
But that's the issue, isn't it? For a track that's purely processional, you need pit strategy to be the x factor. I've walked the Monaco "track" on an off weekend and it's surprisingly narrow, the widest parts are narrower than the narrowest parts of the other tracks I've been too, Silverstone, COTA, Indy, Hockenheim and both the full and F1 N'Ring. There's just no way to redo it to allow passing, so it's always going to be the pole sitter who wins, unless they grenade the transmission on the last turn of qualifying. Just the drama of Bottas getting hosed by his inept pit crew was a highlight of this year's race. Add in fueling and it gives another opportunity for something interesting. As a secondary benefit of adding refueling, you can make the cars narrower and shorter, giving the added benefit of more capacity for passing at places like COTA, Spa and the Hungaroring.

Granted this was my first time watching Monaco, but could you not remove or widen some of the chicanes down by Yachts/Pool? I noticed that they were tight enough that there wasn't passing room, but maybe if they were smoothed out folks could make moves there? Most of the roads are too narrow yes but it looked like there they were wide enough?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Granted this was my first time watching Monaco, but could you not remove or widen some of the chicanes down by Yachts/Pool? I noticed that they were tight enough that there wasn't passing room, but maybe if they were smoothed out folks could make moves there? Most of the roads are too narrow yes but it looked like there they were wide enough?
I agree removing chicanes would give more opportunities for passing. As for added pit stops yes there would be more chances for pit strategy passes. The team & strategy is a large part, but close racing wheel to wheel gets my blood flowing.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
I’ve said it before. Monaco hasn’t and will not age well enough for the future of the sport.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
There just isn't any room for widening. As far as removing that chicane, I doubt they'd ever do it. Speeds would be too high and there are no runoff areas. It'd be too dangerous.