GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 Formula 1 Season

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Latifi's team tells him to stay out then he gets penalized for driving past the crash.

He's like:

"You told me to stay out..." 😂

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Sergio Perez

He drove an amazing race and deserved to win. Crazy stuff happened though.

torga

Autocross Champion
Good to see Bottas still sucks.
I believe this is the first time that Mercedes has scored zero points with both cars finishing the race. Wild times. 2021 is really shaping up to be a classic season.

I was screaming at my TV -- this race was pure madness. Baku never disappoints.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
My 3rd favorite track of the season, holy jeez that was intense.

That was a good make up for Monaco. What a weekend.

Before the chaos I was still so surprised to see a mix behind the top 3. Aston Martin is actually not that terrible, regardless of the podium finish or not. I feel a little bad for Stroll, he did a good job holding his own until he was supposed to pit.

I felt terrible for Max, but then knowing that he held on to the lead in the driver's championship, and RB got further ahead in the constructor championship made me feel a lot better. He and Perez are great teamates for RB this season. I feel like they finally have the right pair of drivers since Max joined. Ricciardo and Albon did well but neither was really doing quite what Perez is managing. I don't support any specific team yet (until next season), but I would support RB in a heartbeat.

Restart played out how lap 1 should have played out, what a battle. The Norris/Leclerc/Gasly fight was serious racing. I think Hamilton was treating the restart a little too much like a career-dependent sprint. Cooking the brakes on a warm up lap is one thing, but locking both and sliding into the escape road isn't great coming from him. Now he gave Mazepin the chance to say he has finished a race ahead of Lewis Hamilton. Oh well.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Max Verstappen while leading:

Lewis Hamilton entering turn 1 on red flag restart:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Head Canon: Hamilton is such a fierce competitor and honorable gentleman, he bottled turn 1 on purpose to keep the championship contest the same after Max suffered his force majeure

I'm hoping the Pirelli investigation comes up with something interested as to why both Lance and Max had rear-left failures, but my bet is that it's "debris on the track, nothing to see here..."

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
Head Canon: Hamilton is such a fierce competitor and honorable gentleman, he bottled turn 1 on purpose to keep the championship contest the same after Max suffered his force majeure

I'm hoping the Pirelli investigation comes up with something interested as to why both Lance and Max had rear-left failures, but my bet is that it's "debris on the track, nothing to see here..."

Pirelli came out immediately after the race saying they didn't want to speculate until they could investigate things further but then speculated by saying the issue was likely due to debris. They used a cut found on Hamilton's left rear tire as evidence of debris.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Pirelli came out immediately after the race saying they didn't want to speculate until they could investigate things further but then speculated by saying the issue was likely due to debris. They used a cut found on Hamilton's left rear tire as evidence of debris.

Right, but watching back in slo mo it looked like both failures on the track happened at the shoulder or sidewall. I would think/hope there's not severe enough debris on the course to cut the sidewalls.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I doubt it was debris. I speculate it was running over curbs. Since it didn’t happen to everyone and it was an odd situation. Maybe Verstsppens and Strolls line took them over a curb differently than everyone else damaging their tires similarly

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I doubt it was debris. I speculate it was running over curbs. Since it didn’t happen to everyone and it was an odd situation. Maybe Verstsppens and Strolls line took them over a curb differently than everyone else damaging their tires similarly
Interesting theory. They did pull in the left turn entry to the castle section by about five feet for this race, and left rears certainly would graze that curb if apexed early.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
I wait like 3 days after a GP to harvest all the memes.

9q157j1aw7471.png

hgsfdssaq7471.jpg

yw8upq7wo6471.jpg

fwneegxg91471.jpg

I am really curious about what the deal was with the Pirellis. I don't think it was a fluke that Verstappen and Stroll had the same tires fail, but it's noteworthy that it was in the same spot. I agree with 3rdOne that debris would be more of an issue with other drivers as well. If it was a quality control thing on Pirelli's end there would be more failures, not just in this race but in earlier weeks too.

Unless they don't care anymore and are putting all their R&D into the 18 inch setups for next year.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I am really curious about what the deal was with the Pirellis. I don't think it was a fluke that Verstappen and Stroll had the same tires fail, but it's noteworthy that it was in the same spot. I agree with 3rdOne that debris would be more of an issue with other drivers as well. If it was a quality control thing on Pirelli's end there would be more failures, not just in this race but in earlier weeks too.

Yeah, both have failures on the LT rear only, both at the same spot on the track..........but it's a tire issue? Their tires weren't older than anyone else's, and while it's not impossible, to have a tire defect hit the same exact tire location and at the exact same spot on the track is certainly outside odds. Why didn't the tire fail on the back straight? Why not in T6 or T7 which are hard rights loading on the left rear at corner exit? Be very interesting to see what they find when they examine all the other teams tires.

See, what Hamilton was doing was he spent all weekend playing Spy Hunter and had the team fit a new smoke screen generator.........LMAO