GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble with travel assist

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
To be fair, ours has been perfect since it had the steering wheel and loom change, and a software update to 1668. World of difference and can now enjoy the car properly.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Well they’ve fixed it, and the dealer lent me an identical car for the time ours was with them. So I’m happy enough.

oakserver

I've recently had the 1668 update, but not a new steering wheel. The problem is slightly better, but not fully fixed. Regular dings - Traffic Assist / SOS unavailable.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I've recently had the 1668 update, but not a new steering wheel. The problem is slightly better, but not fully fixed. Regular dings - Traffic Assist / SOS unavailable.
It seems dealers are instructed to try the update first to see if it cures the Travel Assist unavailable dinging. If not, they can get authorisation to change the steering wheel and loom.

My dealer did a longish test drive after the update, found the problem was still there, and kept our car to do the steering wheel change. Looks like your dealer may either have left you to do the testing, or if they did a test drive perhaps the problem didn’t show itself.

Anyway, get back to them and I’m pretty sure they will agree to replace the steering wheel / loom. It really does cure the problem fully.

Good luck!

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve taken my car into the dealership today for another diagnostic check and the two software upgrades. It’s been agreed that if the errors continue after the upgrade then the dealership will look at a replacement vehicle

GAN

Passed Driver's Ed
Took the dealership 4days to carry out all the software upgrades and change the infotainment control box. Hopefully this will rectify all the issues..... only time will tell🤞

nice_fish

Hello guys, just got my Golf MK 8 Style 1.5 etsi yesterday. It used to be the test drive of a dealership and came in with 5620 km on the clock, otherwise it feels and smells new and is under VW guarantee.

Today when I started from work heading back home, 2-3 times, for less than a second, I got the message "travel assist is not available" on the left screen (i.e. the screen behind the steering wheel -car is left side drive), with the yellow warning sign and the annoying sound. After driving a bit, it disappeared. I read around and reached this thread. I understand it could have something to do with the heat (42 degrees celcius in Athens today and it was parked on the road)? Does the camera heat up too much (I am talking about the camera behind the main rear-view mirror, the one which "looks" at the road ahead)?

I will visit the local dealership to create a new WeConnect account for myself as the new car owner and I will tell them, but the warning does not appear all the time.

Also how can I find info on the hardware and software version, i.e. the type of "build week 49 820D Unit and 1788 Software"?

Thanks in advance.
Stefanos, Athens GR

Last edited:

oakserver

@nice_fish I've had my car nearly a year now and exactly the same problem. I dont think it is to do with the heat, it happens to me even when its zero degrees here in the UK in winter. I find I can usually milk a ding and a travel assist warning by squeezing the bottom of the steering wheel a few times (on the flat edge). The car has been in 3 or 4 times, new steering wheel, software update to 1668 - all with no success. It's a combination of poor hardware and software but I think the newer ones are better. Good luck getting it sorted.

nice_fish

Ten days in, I have seen the "travel assist is not available" warning 7-8 times in total but as I get used to the steering wheel I see it less and less (indeed it appears you can "milk" it from squeezing the bottom horizontal part of the wheel, but if you put your hands elsewhere it doesn't sound). In my case, the "travel assist is not available" warning comes on for about 1-2 seconds each time and I have never seen it persisting for long, or showing up in the "vehicle" screen on the infotainment.

Compared to what I read around this amount of trouble is less than some others, I will keep an eye on it though.

StopDinging

Hi,

I’ve had my mk8 Golf R since March, no real issues for the first couple of months but now the dinging of front assist/travel assist/emergency assist/ACC not available is making the car almost undriveable. Some days it doesn’t do it all, other days it’s constant.

My normal dealership says I need to wait 6 weeks to book it in with a courtesy car, but I’ve managed to get it in somewhere else this week for diagnosis.

Is the conclusion that I probably need a software update and a new steering wheel? I want to put pressure on a permanent fix whilst they’ve got the vehicle, I don’t want to be back and forth with it

I’m a bit mystified why the dealer was surprised with the faults on mine when it’s clearly quite a big issue across a number of models

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
The form seems to be that VW HQ requires the dealership to verify the travel assist problems, and if so to perform a software update (takes around 5 hours).

They must then see if that solves the problem and, if not, replace the steering wheel and loom.

This will probably take a second visit as it will need several days or weeks to be ordered.

Was your car new in March 2021? I thought this only affected 2020 cars. Maybe not?

The fix started to be rolled out in December 2020. Our car (manufactured in July 2020) had a software update (to 1668) and a new steering wheel in January 2021 and pleased to say it has been a total success.