GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Reason to Not Buy Electric

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
I know for sure that 'tuning' an EV is "possible." Like anything else, it just takes some time to crack. Ingenext came out with that crazy 150HP boost to the DM Model 3/Y that pushed it into a sub-4 second 0-60. I'm sure Tesla has problems with it, but so do a most OEMs when it comes to tuning. That's what really draws me to EVs is the potential. Someone will figure out how to boost them beyond the numbers they already hit. It's just a matter of when.

torga

Autocross Champion
I know for sure that 'tuning' an EV is "possible." Like anything else, it just takes some time to crack. Ingenext came out with that crazy 150HP boost to the DM Model 3/Y that pushed it into a sub-4 second 0-60. I'm sure Tesla has problems with it, but so do a most OEMs when it comes to tuning. That's what really draws me to EVs is the potential. Someone will figure out how to boost them beyond the numbers they already hit. It's just a matter of when.
People are already doing it on a smaller scale. It's only a matter of time before you'll be able to buy a "Stage 3 tuning package" for your EV.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Keep in mind you're connected to Tesla and when they go to update your car you're probably toast. And if you disconnect the radio link you'll likely lose your warranty or worse. Anyone see the contract you need to sign to buy one?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not true, plenty of ways to make them faster. Tesla made theirs faster. The now available Tesla Plaid:
0-60 just under 2 sec
1/4 mi 9.23
1020 peak hp
200mph top speed
And it has a 390mi range

And this is without modification, just as it comes from factory. Name any cars you can buy from the factory at 150K or less that runs low 9sec quarters.

Can't think of any other production car under 140K that is faster and we are just in early days of electric vehicles.

I have modded gas powered cars for years but electric motors hold much more potential. The gas combustion engine is showing its age compared to what you can do with electric motors and computerized controls, even with the lagging development of batteries.

• McLaren 720S: 9.9 seconds @ 148.2 mph. ...
  • Porsche 918 Spyder: 9.8 seconds @ 145 mph. ...
  • McLaren P1: 9.8 seconds @ 148.9 mph. ...
  • Ferrari LaFerrari: 9.8 seconds @ 149 mph. ...
  • Bugatti Veyron Super Sport: 9.7 seconds @ 145 mph. ...
  • Dodge Challenger SRT Demon: 9.65 seconds @ 140 mph.
True, if you can afford it. Actually, I'm sure it can EASILY outrun them because the Tesla is a lot more consistent. Even hear of anyone who actually got a stock Demon with the drag wheels and hipo computer to do a 9.5? I saw a lot of videos where it's extremely hard to just get close. Sure, I would buy one in a second if I had enough money than I thought I'd need on my older age. But I'd only have one EV, the rest would all be gas. In my case I'd buy the Demon or Hellcat, just because it's probably the most comfortable.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
True, if you can afford it. Actually, I'm sure it can EASILY outrun them because the Tesla is a lot more consistent. Even hear of anyone who actually got a stock Demon with the drag wheels and hipo computer to do a 9.5? I saw a lot of videos where it's extremely hard to just get close. Sure, I would buy one in a second if I had enough money than I thought I'd need on my older age. But I'd only have one EV, the rest would all be gas. In my case I'd buy the Demon or Hellcat, just because it's probably the most comfortable.
Going under 9.5 in the quarter always costs money, especially if it is a luxury car you can drive daily.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Keep in mind you're connected to Tesla and when they go to update your car you're probably toast. And if you disconnect the radio link you'll likely lose your warranty or worse. Anyone see the contract you need to sign to buy one?
People are already using Tesla power plants from wrecked Teslas to motor swap into gas combustion cars. Lots of possibilities and they aren't supported by Tesla.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Tesla's did get hacked a few times but they patched it to prevent it.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
People are already using Tesla power plants from wrecked Teslas to motor swap into gas combustion cars. Lots of possibilities and they aren't supported by Tesla.

I think it was DAP that has a video that has a swapped Tesla motor into a C5 Audi A6.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I think it was DAP that has a video that has a swapped Tesla motor into a C5 Audi A6.
There is a company called Zelectric that does swaps using Tesla drive gear. EvWest in San Diego area has full swap kits of Tesla motors, mounts and controllers for Air cooled VW bugs, vans, karmman ghias, Porsche 912, 914, Toyota MR2. Great reviews, kits include wiring, mounts, motor(s) and controllers.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
ICE vehicles catch fire too.

You know what doesn't catch fire? Horses.

And if they do catch fire, you have BBQ for a week.