GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble with travel assist

StopDinging

Hi, yes my car was first registered at the end of March this year. Is there any way I can tell which software I have?

It’s at the point now where I don’t want to drive the car as some days it just dings constantly

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
If you go into Settings then System Information (?) it will give you the software version.

As yours is a 2021 model it will probably have a software version 18xx.

We felt exactly the same when ours was dinging with the Travel Assist not available warning.

Fortunately the new steering wheel (and associated loom) fixed it completely. Many owners have had this fix, so dealers are aware.

Get it to your dealer as soon as possible. The good news is that the fault will be readily apparent.

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Golf Mk8 owners are confused. When they think their Travel Assist is ‘dinging’ it’s actually the NHS App on their phone ’pinging’, telling them that they have to self isolate 🤔🙄😷.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
They must then see if that solves the problem and, if not, replace the steering wheel and loom.
Apparently they are now just replacing the steering wheel to see if that cures the problems before allowing the loom to be replaced. That is what is happening to mine anyway, so the visits to the Dealer for the fix (???) may well be extended further. I asked about the loom replacement when I was told that the steering wheel needed replacing and they said that VW did not supply the loom as a matter of course and would only be supplied if there were still problems. Is there an end to this farce?

StopDinging

It went in to the dealership on Friday, they said they’d never heard of such an issue before 🙄 Ironically, the Golf courtesy car they gave me had a Travel assist warning light 😂
Got a call from them late on Friday to say they believe they’ve found a wiring issue so I couldn’t have my car back until Monday or Tuesday. No mention of software or steering wheel 🤷‍♂️
Fingers crossed it’s fixed when I get it back

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
VW dealers must have policy of denying that they have reliability issues with some aspects of their cars. When the DSG gearbox failed on my previous Golf they said that they rarely have problems with the DSG. I’m convinced I saw the nose grow on the bloke from the service department who had the cheek to come out with that statement 🤥.

StopDinging

They’ve told me it was a wiring issue, incorrectly routed cables which was causing intermittent issues with the signal from the sensor. It was fine on the way home, hopefully that’s fixed it

Debi

It went in to the dealership on Friday, they said they’d never heard of such an issue before 🙄 Ironically, the Golf courtesy car they gave me had a Travel assist warning light 😂
Got a call from them late on Friday to say they believe they’ve found a wiring issue so I couldn’t have my car back until Monday or Tuesday. No mention of software or steering wheel 🤷‍♂️
Fingers crossed it’s fixed when I get it back
I contacted vw via Twitter who completely denied such a problem with travel assist pinging, they suggested I book my golf 8 into my local dealer which I did last Friday. They’ve told me I need a new steering wheel as the sensors have stopped working. They have 5 other owners with the same problem also waiting for this fix. I’m so upset with my car. We don’t tend to use the car unless we have to and instead go out in my husbands car and my new golf which I should be enjoying, stays on the drive!

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
On YouTube there is an excellent video by volkswizard entitled ‘Dangerous faults that Volkswagen can’t fix - Mk8 GTi Clubsport update’. Describes our issues exactly.

StopDinging

The saga continues… three weeks after the ‘fix’ the binging started again. I booked it back in to the same dealership, their master tech took a look then I got a call to say it's a problem that VW know about, it needs a software fix but nobody knows if or when it will be available. I complained and was told to speak to VW customer services, I did that and was told I'd need to take it up with the dealership who sold it to me before they can even think about doing anything.

My car dings so frequently now that it's pretty much un-driveable, I'm seriously considering rejecting the car. Is rejecting a car something that anyone has any experience of?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
It’s pointless contacting any manufacturer. Any problem with anything you buy is the responsibility of the dealer/shop you buy it from. You can only hope that your dealer liaises with VW to sort your/our problems.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
The saga continues… three weeks after the ‘fix’ the binging started again. I booked it back in to the same dealership, their master tech took a look then I got a call to say it's a problem that VW know about, it needs a software fix but nobody knows if or when it will be available. I complained and was told to speak to VW customer services, I did that and was told I'd need to take it up with the dealership who sold it to me before they can even think about doing anything.

My car dings so frequently now that it's pretty much un-driveable, I'm seriously considering rejecting the car. Is rejecting a car something that anyone has any experience of?
I've suffered the same fault the first time my car went back in to the VW dealer it had a control module replaced to fix travel assist this didn't work. 2nd time went back in it had another control module replaced this one was linked to the SOS emergency call activating itself for no reason and a new steering wheel. It's been nearly 2 weeks since I got it back and so far no more travel assist faults, my car is still stuck on 1664 software though even though I asked them to update it.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I've suffered the same fault the first time my car went back in to the VW dealer it had a control module replaced to fix travel assist this didn't work. 2nd time went back in it had another control module replaced this one was linked to the SOS emergency call activating itself for no reason and a new steering wheel. It's been nearly 2 weeks since I got it back and so far no more travel assist faults, my car is still stuck on 1664 software though even though I asked them to update it.
The dealers definitely know about the problem my car was in the same time as other Golf's with the same fault but I think they are forced to go through a number of alternative attempted fixes before getting the go ahead from Volkswagen to order a replacement steering wheel and I think this is the only proper fix for the travel assist faults

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
The saga continues… three weeks after the ‘fix’ the binging started again. I booked it back in to the same dealership, their master tech took a look then I got a call to say it's a problem that VW know about, it needs a software fix but nobody knows if or when it will be available
Not only is the constant dinging extremely annoying, but it’s all the more frustrating when you know this is a known issue and there is a known fix.

In your initial post #74 you said that, for convenience, you took it to a dealer other than the one which supplied the car. That shouldn’t make a difference, but maybe the second dealer couldn’t be bothered.

I suggest you make contact with your original salesperson, or the service manager in the supplying dealership. Explain that you’ve brought the car to another VW dealership and they’ve been unable to fix it. Say that you know of other Mk8 owners with the same problem who have had it successfully and permanently fixed by a software update and a replacement steering wheel and associated loom. And then tell them that you would like to give them one more chance to fix this serious problem otherwise you will reject the car.

As always, being polite but firm pays dividends (I’m not saying you would be anything other than this.)

The only thing that puzzles me is that you bought your car new in March 2021. I would have thought the problem would have been sorted for new cars being built in 2021. What is your software version: 1664, 1666, 1668, 17__, or 18__?

Last edited:

StopDinging

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I have written a firm but polite email to the supplying dealer asking for their assistance in getting a resolution otherwise my only option may be to reject the vehicle.

The spanner in the works seems to be that VW are now saying a software update is needed which doesn’t yet exist!

I’ve checked my software, it’s 1788. How out of date is this version?

5E770EF2-0D62-432E-85E7-E1DC57DD713D.jpeg