GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 8 - Wireless Charging behaviour

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all,

Has any experienced any issues with the wireless charging feature?

Behaviour:
  1. Place phone on mat
  2. Phone indicates its charging (by sound and display)
  3. Central car screen shows a prompt at top of screen "phone connected/charging" (or similar)
  4. Phone screen turns to ApplePay!! ...and prompts user to double click Power Button to proceed with payment?! 😬
  5. Phone loses the charging status within a minute or two (phone no longer shows a charging icon)
  6. Central car screen shows a prompt at top of screen "phone connected/charging" (or similar)
  7. Phone loses the charging status within a minute or two (phone no longer shows a charging icon
Steps 3 to 7 repeat infinitely. It really heats the phone up too. The above occurs regardless if whether the car is on the move or not.

Versions:
  • Car: eTSI Style 150 DSG
  • Software: 1668
  • Phone: iPhone 12 Mini, iOS 14.4 (tried the steps above with and without a case - no difference)
Workaround:
  • Connect phone by cable!

Anyone experienced the same behaviours and/or aware of a proper (cable-free!) solution?

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I read recently on another forum that a forum member‘s experience with wireless charging in the mk8 Golf was that it didn’t seem to charge the phone - it just seemed to stop it losing charge below the % level that the battery was currently charged to. The phone did get extremely hot while on the charging pad though.

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
I read recently on another forum that a forum member‘s experience with wireless charging in the mk8 Golf was that it didn’t seem to charge the phone - it just seemed to stop it losing charge below the % level that the battery was currently charged to. The phone did get extremely hot while on the charging pad though.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Interesting to see someone else is experiencing similar issues. Did they find a solution? Do you have a link?

Out of interest what forum was that? Thought this place was 'the main' focal point for MK8 discussions - is there somewhere else with more active participation?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Lots of discussion on the mk8 Golf by mainly UK based members in the mk8 sections over on the GTI and R forums. Although those forums are GTI and R forums, many of the issues owners have experienced or are experiencing will also be relevant to non performance versions of the mk8 Golf and the forums are fairly active. Links;

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=oorhedv6bv8pmcaijdtf0kvv2g&board=137.0

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/forum/88-vw-golf-r-mk8-chat/

The post I was thinking of regarding wireless phone charging was the long post (third paragraph) by forum member Booth11 roughly 2/3’s of the way down page 27 of the ‘Golf R gremlins‘ discussion thread - link to thread;
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/39023-golf-r-gremlins/page/27/?tab=comments#comment-597136

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi there is a TPI (2062397/1) in regards to all iPhone 12 models and they are blaming Apple for the problem:
"The customer complaint (wireless charging of mobile phone sometimes does not work) is not caused by automotive engineering.
The manufacturer Apple made various hardware changes to the iPhone of generation 12. These hardware changes do not represent the standard on which wireless charging is based. Due to the hardware changes, in association with the automotive coupling aerials, there may be a foreign object recognition (protection against damage to the hardware by foreign objects, for example, coins, metal rings and so on). To ensure no damage is caused to the mobile phone (by induction) charging is disrupted if there is an active foreign object recognition. This also makes sure that the mobile phone does not become too hot and the customer additionally distracted when touching it."

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks very much @Massimo 2323 (y) - quite pleasant to see VW have recognised the issue.
Very frustrating to see they are not taking responsibility! o_O It indicates we won't see this resolved, then?

As a side note, where may one search for/browse for Technical Product Information notes issued by VW, for the Golf 8?
Or is it a VW staff thing only?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
This information is available on their Erwin website, where you need to registered and you need to pay 7€ + vat for 1 hour of use.
What is Erwin?
"erWin contains all published service information from Volkswagen, as well as any additional information necessary to help the aftermarket service provider or VW owner to service VW vehicles..."

Gio_57

Hi there is a TPI (2062397/1) in regards to all iPhone 12 models and they are blaming Apple for the problem:
"The customer complaint (wireless charging of mobile phone sometimes does not work) is not caused by automotive engineering.
The manufacturer Apple made various hardware changes to the iPhone of generation 12. These hardware changes do not represent the standard on which wireless charging is based. Due to the hardware changes, in association with the automotive coupling aerials, there may be a foreign object recognition (protection against damage to the hardware by foreign objects, for example, coins, metal rings and so on). To ensure no damage is caused to the mobile phone (by induction) charging is disrupted if there is an active foreign object recognition. This also makes sure that the mobile phone does not become too hot and the customer additionally distracted when touching it."
This must be blaming the magsafe in the iPhone 12’s. Very interesting!

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
I confirm experience of p.eTSI. I have Style TSI130, 1664, Iphone XR (but had it on a rental car with 1803).
Combination of wireless charging, having phone in protective case (increases heat retention), playing podcasts and using Apple maps for navigation, can result into overheated phone, which will become non responsive or will even issue a message about being overheated. Of course, this message is visible on phone screen only.
Murphy will provide, that this situation will occur in the middle of navigation on unknown terrain...

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
I confirm experience of p.eTSI. I have Style TSI130, 1664, Iphone XR (but had it on a rental car with 1803).
Combination of wireless charging, having phone in protective case (increases heat retention), playing podcasts and using Apple maps for navigation, can result into overheated phone, which will become non responsive or will even issue a message about being overheated. Of course, this message is visible on phone screen only.
Murphy will provide, that this situation will occur in the middle of navigation on unknown terrain...

Does your phone remain charging, however? That is our main gripe; it cannot keep its charging status!

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
I have experienced periods of charging on/off as well of no indicated issues. I also have to admit to do relatively short drives in past year, so I cannot give objective experience of charging being effective or not. Will observe more in the future.

Lest44

I picked up my new mk8 golf gti 2021 on Wednesday and have found my iPhone 12 mini switches to Apple Pay every time I put my phone on the charging point. Seems to be charging. The only way to stop it is to remove the card registered for Apple Pay.

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
I picked up my new mk8 golf gti 2021 on Wednesday and have found my iPhone 12 mini switches to Apple Pay every time I put my phone on the charging point. Seems to be charging. The only way to stop it is to remove the card registered for Apple Pay.
You reminded me. We see this too! It asks you to double press the power button to proceed with payment.... what!?!? At first we thought it may havee been a one-time thing for authentication (? ) but no, every-time, Wireless Charging prompts Apple Pay to request payment. How bizzare.

I've added it as a 'step 4' in the top post.

Removing the card isn't a great solution as it prevents you using Apple Pay full stop.