GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What method of payment does everyone use?

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed
Its been a long time since ive been in the buying ands selling of things on a forum. With that said, what is everyones preferred payment methods for selling things online. Also what does everyone use as a general rule when being a seller? Do you get full payment then ship, partial payment then ship? With me selling my acessport and the amount I am selling for, it made me wonder what is considered the normal now a days.

Brian

clownish

just clowning around
PayPal or cash in person. Prompt and tracked Shipment upon payment only. The only exceptions were deposits for larger items (over $1000) and then still wait for full payment before shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahard48

Ready to race!
Paypal/cash. Only real secure way of payment to protect the buyer from a not so trust worthy person.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
paypal(not the gift/family option)

Bheit

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got done using google wallet. I have sent money on it before to a friend but never for a transaction. It transferred instantly, and went into my bank account instantly. Best part was no fees. For piece of mind on both the buyer and seller we did a 75% down 25% after proof of shipping. Made us both feel better.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Obviously PayPal (NOT Friends & Family, as this offers zero protection) is a very popular way to do transactions online because of their buyer protection.

I will add that there is also benefit to using a credit card when you pay via PayPal. I recently purchased something via this forum that turned out to be partially broken. PayPal dispute was awarded to me but the only option required eating shipping costs for a 50lb package. I got my credit card company to continue the negotiation with PayPal and the CC company ended up getting me the refund I desired.

Last edited:

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Paypal has the best exposure and protection for now.
It will probably change soon with all the new competitors and technology.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
PayPal for everything I buy and sell on the forum and anywhere else it‘s accepted as a payment option. It’s secure and has saved me a time or two from dishonest sellers/services.

I always ask for payment upfront and ship same day.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
PayPal for everything I buy and sell on the forum and anywhere else it‘s accepted as a payment option. It’s secure and has saved me a time or two from dishonest sellers/services.

I always ask for payment upfront and ship same day.
Good thing you bumped this from 3 years ago to let us know to use Paypal. I was really starting to stress out about how to make online purchases. (y)

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Good thing you bumped this from 3 years ago to let us know to use Paypal. I was really starting to stress out about how to make online purchases. (y)
Too funny! That'll teach me for responding to posts at 5:30 in the morning. Didn't even look at the date. :ROFLMAO:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How about Venmo? I had a seller that wanted that, but I don't trust any payment type except Amazon, and few places take it. DAP does. I don't think you have any protections though.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I have used Venmo when I didn’t have cash but someone was ordering food on a card or something. “Hey I’ll pick up lunch for ya while I’m at WaWa oh thanks man I’ll Venmo you later”.

For purchases and strangers I use PayPal.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
PayPal is great for buyers but it is a complete shit show for sellers. I've heard many horror stories of people getting screwed over by fraudsters. Unfortunately I don't think there is really a great alternative. Venmo I use a lot with friends but I'm not sure if there is any recourse for buying things long distance from a stranger.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
PayPal is great for buyers but it is a complete shit show for sellers. I've heard many horror stories of people getting screwed over by fraudsters. Unfortunately I don't think there is really a great alternative. Venmo I use a lot with friends but I'm not sure if there is any recourse for buying things long distance from a stranger.
You're right about PayPal and sellers. I sold a perfect smartphone and the buyer opened a claim with PayPal and said that the screen was scratched and it was not. I had to refund the purchase and received the phone back with a scratched screen that wasn't like that when I sent it. I had a tempered glass screen protector on the phone that was gone when I got it back.