GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Update

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, any car dealer that sells the VW Golf MK8 will have a massive problem because VW customer service will say too the owner that the faulty car's with no update available are the car dealers problem and not VW problem these cars are not fit for the purpose and should not be sold and handed back to VW.
I have a certain amount of sympathy with that view but it is easier said than done. Having said that I have no complaints, except for the crappy software, with the car. So we are all faced with the question of do we get into a position we wouldn't probably win or wait for VW to get their backsides into gear and sort the software out, which I'm sure that, in the fullness of time, they will do.

goofee

I have a certain amount of sympathy with that view but it is easier said than done. Having said that I have no complaints, except for the crappy software, with the car. So we are all faced with the question of do we get into a position we wouldn't probably win or wait for VW to get their backsides into gear and sort the software out, which I'm sure that, in the fullness of t
Hi, has anyone that drives the VW golf mk8 with the software issues which comes up on the dash with the brake fault informed they're Insurance company if you havent i suggest you do. and see for yourself what is the Answer you will get for using this faulty Dangerous Vehicle which VW are not going to fix.

nice_fish

Hi, I own a Mk8 in Croatia and I've been having a ton of small issues that are fckng pissing me off.

Travel assist randomly disabled and then came back on. Parking sensors disabled yesterday for an hour. When opening door the speakers make a "prrrrr" sound. Also happens when I press the unlock button and the car door is open.

I love the car but this shit is driving me nuts. Do i need have recordings of all this before taking it to the dealer or can they read the codes and see logs that this happens?
Hello,

try to do a reset of the console (put your finger on the "ON/OFF" touch button at the bottom left of the screen and keep your finger there until you see the VW sign and the infotainment resets), normally this could help you with the sound and maybe the parking sensors.

Travel assist problem has to do with touching the bottom of the steering wheel (the part that is "horizontal"), record it and take it to the dealership if you want (keep in mind that even if they change the steering wheel, the problem might persist, I have read from others).

And don't say bad words about the car, it is super well built and the problems with infotainment and the new "all touch screens" logic is at the first generation and has problems in almost all cars (BMW1, Benz A-class, Kia x-ceed I have seen them having similar troubles with infotainment until it matures a bit).

Cheers

Wheaty

Hi All!

My Golf Mk8 Style 1.5 eTSI DSG was purchased last September and it's on version 1664 currently. My main software problem is that the car frequently (once a week at least) switches to Guest user. When this happens the small Globe icon at the top left corner is greyed out and I can't access car data in the We Connect app on my iPhone neither on the webstite. I cannot decide whether it's a connection issue with the car itself or VW We Connect services are down. Nevertheless it usually works ok the following day.

Another issue was streaming music with my iPhone 12 Pro using the phone's cellular data. Music stopped every few seconds. If the music was downloaded to the phone beforehand then streaming was flawless. I found out that by disabling eSim in the car streaming over cellular is working fine. Also the We Connect app on the phone correctly shows driving data even with eSim disabled and the globe is white at the top left (when it's not in Guest mode) 😊

Called my dealer and based on my VIN number they say there are software updates avaiable and I should take the car to them to apply these updates. Maybe it will cause more harm than good. I don't really trust VW software anymore. 🙂
Not sure if this helps but I have the exactly the same model I.e. Golf Mk8 Style 1.5 eTSI DSG but 2021 model (I assume since delivered in March this year). whilst suffering some software glitches, the worst was the suddenly defaulting to KPH from MPH whilst driving. Streaming over my mobile works fine with eSim switched off but only when physically connected via USB. I’ve only got 3000 miles on the clock but now regularly getting over 50mpg and last week got 64.9mpg on a motorway driving (according to the car) and 64.2mpg according to WeConnect (admittedly this was in Economic mode with the air conditioning switch off. Copy of my software versions attached (NOT been back to the dealer since new).

Attachments

• 6F7185CC-D55B-4A75-902B-022FBDEF2691.jpeg
    6F7185CC-D55B-4A75-902B-022FBDEF2691.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96

Lest44

Driving my mk8 2021 gti today, and found a couple of issues, one of which is rather alarming. After our dog walk on a lovely sunny day, got back to the car, I logged in as primary user as normal and the car started CarPlay and loaded google maps, but not in satellite view as it was the journey to get to our walk. Set home destination and instead of a voice guidance it just beeped at us when a turn was needed.

Then I was in a 60mph national limit which the road sign camera had picked up with ACC on as normal. Then with no road signs at all on the stretch of road, it randomly dropped the limit to 37mph and immediately started braking, much to the guy behind me annoyance. Without doing anything it then went back up to 60 for a few seconds and then did it again! Bloke behind came roaring past!

I then reached a village and a 30mph sign and it dropped me down to 30, then without any signs took me down to 19mph. This repeated two or three times. There were no other cars around so I let it do what it wanted. I got no errors or fault messages. I pulled over, turned off the car, logged out and opened door. Started up again and the car play worked with google maps in satellite view with voice directions again? The ACC was then behaving again! What on earth is up with these cars?

I am on 1666 and did notice the other day the entry for Display unit/control panel hardware and software were unknown, but other times I go in it says H46 and 2092. Why does it sometimes know this information and other times it forgets it? To me it sounds like a communication issue between the systems.

Mine also forgets the climate Sync and keyless entry is intermittent which is frustrating as hell. My previous Mk7 and Mk 7.5 never had any of these problems. Any suggestions on any of that? Time to talk to the garage!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Driving my mk8 2021 gti today, and found a couple of issues, one of which is rather alarming. After our dog walk on a lovely sunny day, got back to the car, I logged in as primary user as normal and the car started CarPlay and loaded google maps, but not in satellite view as it was the journey to get to our walk. Set home destination and instead of a voice guidance it just beeped at us when a turn was needed.

Then I was in a 60mph national limit which the road sign camera had picked up with ACC on as normal. Then with no road signs at all on the stretch of road, it randomly dropped the limit to 37mph and immediately started braking, much to the guy behind me annoyance. Without doing anything it then went back up to 60 for a few seconds and then did it again! Bloke behind came roaring past!

I then reached a village and a 30mph sign and it dropped me down to 30, then without any signs took me down to 19mph. This repeated two or three times. There were no other cars around so I let it do what it wanted. I got no errors or fault messages. I pulled over, turned off the car, logged out and opened door. Started up again and the car play worked with google maps in satellite view with voice directions again? The ACC was then behaving again! What on earth is up with these cars?

I am on 1666 and did notice the other day the entry for Display unit/control panel hardware and software were unknown, but other times I go in it says H46 and 2092. Why does it sometimes know this information and other times it forgets it? To me it sounds like a communication issue between the systems.

Mine also forgets the climate Sync and keyless entry is intermittent which is frustrating as hell. My previous Mk7 and Mk 7.5 never had any of these problems. Any suggestions on any of that? Time to talk to the garage!
Your car is interpreting the UK mph speed limit signs as kmh; 60 kmh = 37 mph and 30 kmh = 19 mph.

This issue has been discussed on other VW forums and quite a few mk8 owners have experienced it, as well as the climate sync and keyless entry issues. I‘ve lost track of which software faults VW have developed a fix for, but certainly worth raising your car’s issues with your dealer as there may be a software update.

Lest44

I was wondering whether the kph to mph could be linked at all to Car play and maps it provides, such as google maps providing the speed limits it knows and a conflict between what the car road sign camera picks up. Reason being, when I was in the 60 zone which the road sign camera had picked up, there was no road sign when it randomly dropped to 38 mph and then reverted back to 60mph. So if one system is saying one thing and the other is different which one does it go with? I have since found that my car had connected to my wife’s phones CarPlay on our trip home as her google maps was on kph, map view. Mine is on mph and satellite view. A question for the garage me thinks.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
My car had an over the air software update yesterday first time I've seen this so far! The release notes just said error fixes and performance improvements however it didn't say to what it was fixing or improving and the system details don't show any change in version numbers in still on version 1664. Good to know the over the air update is functional hopefully more significant updates will be on the way p.s it did this by itself I didn't search for an update

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed
My car had an over the air software update yesterday first time I've seen this so far! The release notes just said error fixes and performance improvements however it didn't say to what it was fixing or improving and the system details don't show any change in version numbers in still on version 1664. Good to know the over the air update is functional hopefully more significant updates will be on the way p.s it did this by itself I didn't search for an update
My car updated itself to 1788 today from 16xx (can’t recall exactly), the second OTA update and first since ?Jan.
Any idea where I can find a change log, the info just basically said bugfixes

Lest44

I also got an OTA update today as well, something about bug updates and performance improvements. Had to wait until I was not driving before it would download and update. Would be good to see something on the software page to show what has changed or they provide more details when the message first came up. It could save a trip to the garage if it was known what they have fixed. Since seeing Idiotwinds post I went and checked and nothing has changed as I had taken a photo a few days ago of the screen, So I am still on 1666, H46, 2092, 21.7, 3.1.4, 1.30.12.
I very much doubt Idiotwind you will have changed from 16xx to 1788 following the OTA update, as it appears the 17xx is for the upgraded infotainment system, discovery pro (you should be able to get nav maps on dashboard) and not the standard fit discovery system.

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s definitely on 1788 now and I’m ~80% sure it was 16xx before. Got the car last Dec, what would have been the standard software version around then?

Lest44

Hi, not sure what the software would have been back then. I am sure some more experienced Mk8 owner on here will be able to help. This forum is great! It’s like us verse VW and we being the customer we are always right! 😀. On my software screen, the overall part no is 5H0035816B and software is 1666, which as you can see is different to yours.