GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone managed to get the centre speaker clicking and subsequent issues resolved?

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
I am now on my second Golf 8 which has the centre speaker clicking issue and then subsequent issues (SOS Emergency Call errors, Sat Nav no longer working in instrument display, loading settings error, car swapping to believe it is left hand drive & kmph speed limits etc). This car has been in for 2 weeks for software updates and a new SOS unit.
VW / the dealer will not replace this one without resetting the PCP to 3 years duration. So effectively buying a new car, and losing any money paid off.

My question is - for anyone with the above issue, have you
1) Had it resolved by service? If so how?
2) If you have had he car replaced, does the new model have the issue?

(My latest Golf 8 is a eTSi Style DSG, Software xxxx, 2020 Build week 41 (October)

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So
1) I have not heard of centre speaker clicking sounds.
2) so you have sw 16xx and unless you have the Discovery Pro then no maps on the dashboard.
3) loading setting errors and car confused on LHD or RHD also new to me. I think you need to do a complete reset of the whole system.
I know there is a setting where you decide LHD or RHD in the infotainment settings (for when driving abroad)
I also know that most of the control units in the car have coding to specify LHD or RHD . Maybe Software update gone wrong?
Some photo's are more useful than words to explain exactly the problem ;)

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
1) You’ll see various references to the clicks in posts on this and the VWAF forum.
2) Correct , I am talking about the sat nav prompts which appear, or ability to set one of the dials to navigation. After the issue these do not work.
3) Soft or full reset do not resolve.

I have posted the details before, and others have the issue. Seems to occur more regularly for owners who live in London. I assume as we swap mobile cell masts more regularly. Details below and some photos

Failure Sequence 1
· Loud Electrical Click from the Centre Speaker
· "Error: Emergency Call. Please visit workshop error” on Instrument Cluster
· SOS Light goes off on roof
· Route guidance is not active message on Instrument Cluster
· Navigation is currently unavailable message on Instrument Cluster
· Seems to work again from next day (or hours later after leaving car), but cannot find a way to reset (like second sequence below) (So there is also no access to infotainment as it is stuck on "Loading Settings")

Failure Sequence 2
· Loud Electrical Click from the Centre Speaker
· SOS is now active message on Instrument Cluster
· SOS Light goes off on roof
· Route guidance is not active message on Instrument Cluster
· Navigation is currently unavailable message on Instrument Cluster
· SOS Light back on on roof
· To get the Navigation to work again on the Instrument Cluster you need to switch Engine off and wait a while or soft reset the infotainment by holding down the power button

These then result in other issues with the car as well as a lack of access to navigation and sometimes the whole infotainment . The car seems to reset itself to being in Europe. E.g. slowing the car to 44mph on a motorway which I believe is 70kmph and activating undertaking prevention and slowing the car when overtaking as it believes the car is now right hand drive.

E21CAF69-0BEE-48E6-8878-77992B1ECF33.jpeg
3F67ACD2-AD10-4CB9-BFE8-4BCCE5FBC520.jpeg

Wheaty

Hymn, I took delivery of my 1.5 eTSI a couple of weeks and I’m still getting accustomed to it but have started to notice some clicks whilst messing & trying to sort other problems. Thanks for raising this - something I need to pay a bit more attention to see if I have a problem.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So i know that the sos unit uses the central speaker for emergecy calls .. a problem with the sos unit is giving those clicking sounds...the emergency control unit is actually behind the dashboard display.
I think your problems still come from the Sos unit, even if it has been changed. Maybe they made a feckup on coding the part...

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Also wouldn’t they need to sort this out because the ecall function is an essential function under EU regulations?

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
So i know that the sos unit uses the central speaker for emergecy calls .. a problem with the sos unit is giving those clicking sounds...the emergency control unit is actually behind the dashboard display.
I think your problems still come from the Sos unit, even if it has been changed. Maybe they made a feckup on coding the part...
OK makes sense. It's going in on the 14th for what they are calling update 2.1. Not sure what this means but probably just the latest software. They said they had a large number of new cars VW would not let them register and sell to customers until this update was available and applied. (For the moment we have just set the privacy to maximum which stops the issue. Only real downside is the reduced satnav functionality when the eSIM is off)

Wish VW were more transparent on known issues, and issues fixed by software updates

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
EU regulations don't apply in the UK anymore.
Well then what about UK regulation ?:):)

Lets hope this 2.1 update sorts out the mess.
My car is in the garage today so I have a Big Cross in front of me , Big Buddha on my right and Allah on my left ... will they listen to my prayers...:unsure::unsure:

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
@Massimo 2323 Were you getting a software update and, if so, what version did it update to? Is this the so-called Update 2.1?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So my car got updated from 1664 to 1668 but did not fix the reverse camera issue and wifi 5Ghz not working.
So the camera part is getting replaced and if it still gives a problem the Infotainment unit gets replaced , which should hopefully sort the wifi problem too.

Paulcalver

I am now on my second Golf 8 which has the centre speaker clicking issue and then subsequent issues (SOS Emergency Call errors, Sat Nav no longer working in instrument display, loading settings error, car swapping to believe it is left hand drive & kmph speed limits etc). This car has been in for 2 weeks for software updates and a new SOS unit.
VW / the dealer will not replace this one without resetting the PCP to 3 years duration. So effectively buying a new car, and losing any money paid off.

My question is - for anyone with the above issue, have you
1) Had it resolved by service? If so how?
2) If you have had he car replaced, does the new model have the issue?

(My latest Golf 8 is a eTSi Style DSG, Software xxxx, 2020 Build week 41 (October)
Hi. Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same issue even after all the latest software updates in Nov 2021 (recently). Thanks, Paul.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi. Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same issue even after all the latest software updates in Nov 2021 (recently). Thanks, Paul.
Not yet. Car booked in for 3-Dec for the recall on the unit. But dealer reckons it only fixes for about 50% of cars.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Not yet. Car booked in for 3-Dec for the recall on the unit. But dealer reckons it only fixes for about 50% of cars.
Mine was sorted with a new ocu/sos module after the attempted update didn't work since, the new module was fitted it connects almost straight away upon start up no more sos errors or popping noises. However I'm still stuck on 1664 software and the infotainment system dose crash and reboot frequently I'm waiting for the 1810 software update that's imminent for release apparently.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Update fixed the issue. No clicks or sos messages since. Been to all the places it would occur and all ok.