GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory order times

Dwj

Has anyone ordered at GTD. just wondering what time scale you were given? And if you made any changes or added options after ordering and what effect this had.

Mine was ordered August and got a build week 4. Added 19” alloys this week and now it doesn’t even have a build week!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I think the extent of change in build week could depend on what the change(s) is (are) that you’re making and whether or not your build week had already been confirmed. If you had a confirmed build week, then changes can’t be made to the car’s spec, so any change would effectively be treated as a new order which would mean moving to the back of the queue in terms of build / lead time.

Where a build week hasn’t been confirmed, I’d expect simple changes like changing the car’s paint colour to have less of an impact on build week than more extensive changes like adding multiple options, where there’s a dependency on the third party companies used by VW to manufacture the options, but that’s just supposition on my part. In the case of alloys, VW don’t manufacture their own alloys - they use companies such as BBS, Ronal or Borbet, so if those companies have any issues getting raw materials needed for the manufacturing process or there are Covid impacts on their workforces, then there‘s likely to be knock on impacts to vehicle production by VW and other vehicle manufacturers they supply wheels to.

I’ve just read over on golfgtiforum.co.uk of a a forum member with build week 47 (2021) who changed their paint colour. Build week of their car moved to week 18 next year, so added around five months to the lead time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwj

shadey69

Has anyone ordered at GTD. just wondering what time scale you were given? And if you made any changes or added options after ordering and what effect this had.

Mine was ordered August and got a build week 4. Added 19” alloys this week and now it doesn’t even have a build week!
Ordered a gtd with a few add ons and that was 2nd week of October. Order accepted but im told no build date or any other info. Specd as leather, wheel upgrade and dcc, sunroof, rear camera and HK sound

Reactions: Dwj

Dwj

Ordered a gtd with a few add ons and that was 2nd week of October. Order accepted but im told no build date or any other info. Specd as leather, wheel upgrade and dcc, sunroof, rear camera and HK sound
That’s the thing now, they can’t even give an estimation of when it might be built!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
In the current situation, it seems that dealers are probably being kept as much in the dark as the customer in terms of build dates.

It‘s probably fair to say that for highly optioned cars where some of those options require semiconductors (e.g. upgraded sound system, reversing camera etc), there'll be longer lead times and delays than there will be for standard ‘vanilla’ spec vehicles. The companies that manufacture semiconductor-dependent options for VW are highly likely to also be experiencing delays in getting semiconductor supplies in the same way that VW will be, and disruptions to the supply chain will all be adding to extended lead times. There’ll also be many partially built cars at VW’s production facility awaiting semiconductors so they can be finished, quality checked and sent off in transit to their ultimate destination. Those vehicles will currently be in storage, and presumably need to be moved back into the factory to be completed when semiconductor supplies are received. Clearing the backlog of those incomplete vehicles probably takes priority over starting new vehicle builds and will also be disruptive to the new vehicle production, which will have an impact on build times for new / recent orders.

It’s not just VW having build issues such as these - pretty much all manufacturers will be affected. The logistics of managing the process of getting incomplete cars finished, along with building new vehicles, plus the impact of Covid on the workforce must be a nightmare for VW (Covid rates in Germany are particularly high just now, so there’s a good chance the Wolfsburg factory is running at reduced capacity). Once semiconductor supplies get back to something approaching normal levels, the next potential supply issue for car manufacturers could be supplies of magnesium - see article at the link below;

https://www.carsdirect.com/automoti...agnesium-shortage-could-impact-car-production

I do have a fair degree of sympathy for dealers just now. They’ll no doubt be getting a fair amount of flack from some understandably frustrated customers who’ve been waiting many months for a new car. However, the dealer is just the messenger in this situation, and IMHO it’s unfair to shoot the messenger.

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Agree with all the above. I own a VW T6 Transporter, and am active on the T6 Forum - exactly the same supply issues and confusion. Order a Transporter now, and delivery will be in 2023.

Pete