GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Update

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I think I can help Shatter and airforced a little.
To turn off heated steering wheel. Tap through until one square appears and hold continuously until the display top center of the screen disappears.
If you turn off the ACC it’s display will be replaced by the odometer.

Eric of Ayr

I think I can help Shatter and airforced a little.
To turn off heated steering wheel. Tap through until one square appears and hold continuously until the display top center of the screen disappears.
If you turn off the ACC it’s display will be replaced by the odometer.
Tap through what?from what square on menu or are you referencing another button?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Tap the heated steering wheel button on the steering wheel. There are three levels of heat indicated by three squares on the display. Tap through until there is only one square highlighted (it’s very easy to tap too many times!) hold for several seconds until the heated steering wheel display disappears. The heated steering wheel will not be active the next time you get in the car.

Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Airforced , I haven't tried the 1810, just know that mike from Germany has installed it on a few Golf 8's. I know that VW are doing newer software updates for various control units and my thinking is they want all these ready before doing the 1810 update...
They could also turn around and decide the update is not good and we are back to square one...
There is a new internal service recall 48Q5 for certain Golf 8 where the steering wheel needs to be replaced...

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Have an April 2021 Golf R. What a disappointment. Infotainment system is slow and laggy. Sat nav works when it wants to. Drove 25 miles today with the heat fully on and sunroof open. ( Not by choice) I then got a message to close the sunroof as the cars aero dynamics were affected. Couldn’t make it up! Controls for the climate control disappeared . Turned the car on and off a couple of times but no change. No mention of a system update but luckily heating controls returned for the return journey. The radio mutes itself. Had a more reliable computer 30 years ago.
Who designed this car.. what with turning the heated steering wheel on every time I get into the car ( only discover this when the steering wheel gets hot as the symbol on the steering wheel does not change colour) and the overly complicated lights not to mention the unlit sliding heating controls that are impossible to find at night. The previous model was superior in almost every way and sounded better too. Loved the last trouble free Golf R but merely like one.
I've had the heating sod about a few times including it managing to blow hot and cold air at the same time and the climate control screen being stuck,It can be sorted by resetting the infotainment,Hold down the button until it restarts.

josephvman

I thought I saw reference to being able to control the climate control from the steering wheel in one of the threads, but nothing I have seen in playing with the controls or going through the manual indicates that this can be done. Any thoughts?

Justin Time

Hi all, new to this forum, having same problems with my golf. Dealers are bloody useless, all they do is update the software, the last update took 5 days (I think they were telling me porkies and it was constantly falling over).

You buy these cars with the expectation that they will provide protection, when they (in my case) intermittently fail then it becomes frustrating to say the least. I tried to speak to a VW technical guy today, but was told by custromer care that I need to go through my dealer and in the event of that, escalate within that group. I asked when would it get to VW was told that if the group failed to pacify me, was told my next point of escalation was to the Ombudsman. When I asked at what point I got to talk direct with VW the customer care guy was incredulous that this ever need to happen. He then cut me off as things started to get a little heated.

I have again gone back to the dealer, have been told there is a recall and this must be applied before they can look at my issues. This is ridiculous, they cannot even tell me what problems the recall software update actually fixes. Seriously thinking of approaching a legal organisation and going for VW with a class action. Anyone got any other ideas?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi all, new to this forum, having same problems with my golf. Dealers are bloody useless, all they do is update the software, the last update took 5 days (I think they were telling me porkies and it was constantly falling over).

You buy these cars with the expectation that they will provide protection, when they (in my case) intermittently fail then it becomes frustrating to say the least. I tried to speak to a VW technical guy today, but was told by custromer care that I need to go through my dealer and in the event of that, escalate within that group. I asked when would it get to VW was told that if the group failed to pacify me, was told my next point of escalation was to the Ombudsman. When I asked at what point I got to talk direct with VW the customer care guy was incredulous that this ever need to happen. He then cut me off as things started to get a little heated.

I have again gone back to the dealer, have been told there is a recall and this must be applied before they can look at my issues. This is ridiculous, they cannot even tell me what problems the recall software update actually fixes. Seriously thinking of approaching a legal organisation and going for VW with a class action. Anyone got any other ideas?
I think in many instances - especially with warranty work, the dealer is instructed by VW to follow a set procedure laid down by VW for finding and fixing faults. The set procedure might be to try certain possible fixes in a predetermined sequence which could involve multiple visits to the dealership and understandably, this could be frustrating for the customer. The recall action that you’ve been informed needs to be applied to your car is probably one of the steps in the set procedure laid down by VW for fixing the mk8 Golf software faults.

With the mk8 Golf it seems that VW haven’t known how to fix some of the software-related issues, although there’s a major software update due to be released by VW imminently which is meant to fix many of the issues that mk8 owners have been experiencing.

IMHO, I personally think there’s an underlying communication issue within VW. VW have never seemed to be very good at communicating with their dealerships and keeping them updated. Therefore, dealers not being able to provide answers might not be entirely their fault - the fault more likely rests with VW. Having said that, some dealers seem to be better at customer communication skills and managing customer expectations better than others.

Hope you get your car’s issues sorted soon.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
A new TPI 2065229/1 has appeared for the reverse camera video flickering problem. The TPI tells the workshops to postpone repairs and that a software update for the infotainment unit is coming to fix the problem.
A few weeks ago the workshop replaced , again , the infotainment unit and the flickering happens a lot less now. But when i reverse in to a green background (grass, bushes) it still happens. I tried lowering the brightness and / or contrast of the video in the settings and the image stopped flickering😱. I have forwarded all this to VW Germany😉.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Also a TPI 2062621/1 with the 1810 update was released 2 weeks ago but was also put on hold, unforseen problems i suspect. Anyway the software updates will come as a software package where all the necessary control units get updated along with the infotainment unit, to simplify the updating process and for compatibility reasons. Also it could be that the 816 units get the update slso🤞.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Being a cynic I fear that when Mk8 Golfs, fitted with Hardware H56 and Software 1664/1668 reach three years (when their warranties expire), VW will wash their hands of this and offer no further updates.

Like I said. I’m a cynic.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Being a cynic I fear that when Mk8 Golfs, fitted with Hardware H56 and Software 1664/1668 reach three years (when their warranties expire), VW will wash their hands of this and offer no further updates.

Like I said. I’m a cynic.
Historically, cars that are serviced within the VW dealer network are checked for software updates and if there are any, they’re automatically applied as part of the service. With some of the software updates on the mk8 Golf (and other current VW models?) seemingly taking a long time, then it’s feasible it might be necessary to book a separate appointment for the software update.

sotoole

just about everytime I get into my R there is a new fault. The front assist regularly fails with a warning message, it has decided to stop play music on apple carplay, today the parking brake failed and a few days ago it decided to go into limp home mode for no reason. The latest problem is the alarm goes off after you lock the car for no reason. And it switches on the steering heating everytime you start the car. I changed from a flawless Alfa Giulia for this appalling car. After enduring it 9 months it’s time to go as the resale values are at least strong while the chipset shortage continues.