GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anti-theft Alarm would not turn off - Golf 8 e-Hybrid

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, My anti-theft alarm went off this morning when I remotely unlocked the car with the key fob. I could not get it to stop wailing what ever key fob button I pressed. According to the manual I should be able to stop it by pressing the unlock key. No luck. After a while; many minutes later it did stop but I am not sure what key I had just pressed if any. During the time the alarm was going off I rang the main dealer but they couldn't seem to help.

Has any one else had this problem and has anyone got any advice. My software is up-to-date I think. I bought the car in October (2021) and it has been in for an update once since then. I generaly love the car but this is a bit worrying. Alarms that go off for no reason are bad enough but ones you can't turn off are a nightmare!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There’s been one or two mk8 Golf owners on other forums have had this happen. Sorry, don’t know what the fix was if indeed there was one.

Sniffer

Hi, My anti-theft alarm went off this morning when I remotely unlocked the car with the key fob. I could not get it to stop wailing what ever key fob button I pressed. According to the manual I should be able to stop it by pressing the unlock key. No luck. After a while; many minutes later it did stop but I am not sure what key I had just pressed if any. During the time the alarm was going off I rang the main dealer but they couldn't seem to help.

Has any one else had this problem and has anyone got any advice. My software is up-to-date I think. I bought the car in October (2021) and it has been in for an update once since then. I generaly love the car but this is a bit worrying. Alarms that go off for no reason are bad enough but ones you can't turn off are a nightmare!
I had the same problem about a month ago with my MK8 GTI. I was standing chatting to a friend, approx 25 yds away from my car, when the alarm started wailing for no apparent reason. There wasn't another soul near the car. I couldn't switch it off, no matter what I did, and it was still wailing away, even after I started the engine and drove down the street. In fact, I got about 1/2 mile down the road before it mysteriously stopped wailing and it hasn't done the same since.

My dealers checked the car out a few days later and said they could see from their system that the alarm had been activated, and they deleted the fault. As I said that was about a month ago and I haven't had any such problems since. But, do I have confidence that it is now fixed? No, and I don't think my dealers have either, based on the Service Manager's parting words:

"We think that's it fixed. I am afraid that we don't really know why it went off but do let us know if you have any more problems.":rolleyes:

Last edited:

ZimitiZ

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks "SRGTD", "Sniffer" and "tos". Quite worrying. I will get onto the dealer tomorrow. I have just found this in the manual. "If the vehicle is not opened with a valid vehicle key, the anti-theft alarm is triggered and emits acoustic and visual warning signals for up to 5 minutes". Sniffer, does your 1/2 mile drive down the road correspond to about 5 mins?

I will report back if I find anything that helps.

Sniffer

Thanks "SRGTD", "Sniffer" and "tos". Quite worrying. I will get onto the dealer tomorrow. I have just found this in the manual. "If the vehicle is not opened with a valid vehicle key, the anti-theft alarm is triggered and emits acoustic and visual warning signals for up to 5 minutes". Sniffer, does your 1/2 mile drive down the road correspond to about 5 mins?

I will report back if I find anything that helps.
Yes, it was probably around 5 mins in total, as I spent around 2 or 3 minutes trying to figure out what had activated the alarm and trying to stop it screeching, while the car was stationary. But, it hadn't been opened with the wrong key or, indeed, any key at all, when the alarm first triggered. And it refused to cease screeching, when I used my key fob to open and start the car.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
If the anti-theft alarm sometimes goes off for no reason then VW have a TPI numbered 2067062/x with a software fix in preparation. They are still preparing the software so it will take some time.....

tos

Go Kart Newbie
Sometimes when I lock the car by touching driver's door handle, the alarm will not make a sound. When I touch it again, it makes that BLIP