GolNat

Autocross Champion
Ehh still ugly like a real plate.

How about no front plate!?!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Ehh still ugly like a real plate.

How about no front plate!?!
Works great, until you need to park somewhere like DTLA and they have meter maids that leave you a ticket each day. Also gives a cop an immediate reason to pull you over, which is really only an issue if you're the drinking and driving sort. I had tinted windows and no front plate in CA and only got meter maid tickets, the times I was pulled over they never gave me a ticket for either. I don't run a front plate in TX, it's a "fix it" ticket here and you can just use double sided tape to take the pic showing it was fixed.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
I've never had front plates on any of my cars, dark tint, etc, never been pulled over or ticketed ever. Don't drive a conspicuous car, drive reasonably sane, and don't do dumb shit like blast music loud or smoke weed while you drive and you will be fine.

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
I've never had front plates on any of my cars, dark tint, etc, never been pulled over or ticketed ever. Don't drive a conspicuous car, drive reasonably sane, and don't do dumb shit like blast music loud or smoke weed while you drive and you will be fine.
Almost100% true and point is well taken. What is a conspicuous car lol?
Side note: In 2004 I purchased an S4. I did not install front OR REAR plate for almost 3 years just to see how long I could go. I finally ended up getting pulled over for speeding and you know what? The cop did not want to hear about my lack of a license plate, not what you think. I started to explain and he was not interested and could "care less"

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
I think HelloNewman is right in that if you are speeding or driving something that looks like it breaks the law they are going to be annoying. The sad thing is the police and procestors have leeway in how the enforce the law. Having said that I got the grill mount license plate holder from Etsy and I think it looks fine. I tend to speed all the time so I don't want the cops to have any other reason to get mad.
20220804_234541.jpg

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Almost100% true and point is well taken. What is a conspicuous car lol?
Side note: In 2004 I purchased an S4. I did not install front OR REAR plate for almost 3 years just to see how long I could go. I finally ended up getting pulled over for speeding and you know what? The cop did not want to hear about my lack of a license plate, not what you think. I started to explain and he was not interested and could "care less"
Conspicuous car = anything that looks out of the ordinary or is associated with a certain group. Exotics, tuner cars, muscle cars, etc.

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
They could give you a warning but the more crimes you are committing the less likely that occurs
Could being a very key word here. I have a lot of "experience" in the ticket / speeding area lol. Sometimes pure honesty is best or other times it depends on the cop. Another approach is discussing with the officer his plans of attending traffic court or contesting via mail. I have tried just about everything with success about 40% of the time.
But not once has the police ever walked around to my front to check the license plate or tint, lowered, etc... Attitude, demeanor and how you handle the situation determines the outcome mostly IMHO

Every once in a while you will get a "mean" cop and no matter what you do there is no changing the outcome.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Could being a very key word here. I have a lot of "experience" in the ticket / speeding area lol. Sometimes pure honesty is best or other times it depends on the cop. Another approach is discussing with the officer his plans of attending traffic court or contesting via mail. I have tried just about everything with success about 40% of the time.
But not once has the police ever walked around to my front to check the license plate or tint, lowered, etc... Attitude, demeanor and how you handle the situation determines the outcome mostly IMHO

Every once in a while you will get a "mean" cop and no matter what you do there is no changing the outcome.
Most of what you're describing is unique to clean cut, white males without a criminal record. Police profile, plain and simple, if you are on one side of that profile, your encounters will be very different than what other people encounter, regardless of your attitude.

This is simple to derail too, I have a friend who got a DWI thirty years ago, but any time I'm with him and he gets pulled over, it's an entirely different experience than I receive, and that's just from them running the plate before they come to the car. Some of us are lucky, I've never run a front plate in California or Texas, but I also wouldn't recommend it as a universally great idea.

TroyBoy

Go Kart Newbie
I can neither confirm or deny if I have a criminal record, nor if I am clean cut or not and have had more than one "different" encounters. Did I say I am white? hmmm :)
There are many factors involved other than profiling but that is definitely part of it.

I am not recommending anything, only providing my thoughts and experiences. 5 cars, 150 years of driving experience in my family and never have run a front plate.
The border patrol when crossing in San Ysidro the busiest international border in North America care more about the front license plate then police ever had.

To me it is completely worth it to not run a front plate. When / If I get pulled over and it is an issue I will slap on the magnets and get the ticket signed off.
But I do not believe (again my humble opinion) that if you get pulled over the deal breaker is the license plate. If the cop has it in his mind you are getting the ticket you are going to get the ticket. Simple.

EX: One time I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop for speeding +20 over the limit, motorcycle cops are the strictest as they have one purpose which is to write tickets. I received the ticket no matter what I tried. But after receiving I struck up a conversation with him and asked in a round about way if he was going to challenge a trial by declaration or show up at the traffic court hearing. Result was another ticket dismissed.

In any case just hire a traffic attorney. I have used one for 4 different tickets with 100% success. In today's climate especially I am not worried about a front plate but more concerned with the mods on my car (exhaust, non street legal CAT, and so on..)

But To each is own :)