GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who knows about Macs

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Like stated above it is unlikely that it is turned on. Since they no longer boot, get an adapter for the hard drive and connect it to your computer to remove the files.

'There is a lot of information on this site on how to do almost anything on a Mac, I'm sure you can find free software links to use to change the picture format to jpeg, but it should be a straight forward operation.

If that was true I would still be running a desktop... I switched to a 27" iMac in 2011 after about 7 Dell, Hp, Compaq desktops/laptops, all in the $1000 up range. All Windows crap, blue screen, black screen, virus up the a$$, random ransomware from my sons gaming sites. All that BS GONE! I still running that Mac, on High Sierra that was replaced in 2018, still no anti-virus, no anti crap... still no viruses and the Mac still runs like new with only one upgrade, a switch from the HD to an SSD. I don't think anyone can say the same thing out of a Windows OS.

Since then I bought an HP Omen 15 with almost every upgrade available, following recommendations from the dean at my college as I was about to start my cyber classes... within 2 weeks I started getting a fail to boot error. wipe out and re-loaded every thing, including new Windows 10 Pro, worked good, but still had the occasional fail to boot. Finished the class and gave it to my son. Will never spend that kind of money into a Win based piece of crap, will do virtual desktop if I need to run Windows for something inside my Mac.
I hear this often but there is a (little) bit of a misconception here. The reason macs don't get viruses and malware as often isn't because they have better security. It's simply because people aren't writing viruses for Macs since they're nowhere near as popular as Windows devices. As macs have been getting more popular, mac specific malware has as well.

If you really want to have a no-virus experience just get yourself linux and you can emulate windows or mac skin on it. There's maybe 10 other people using Linux as their computer OS so you'll be safe.

cb1111

I hear this often but there is a (little) bit of a misconception here. The reason macs don't get viruses and malware as often isn't because they have better security. It's simply because people aren't writing viruses for Macs since they're nowhere near as popular as Windows devices. As macs have been getting more popular, mac specific malware has as well.

If you really want to have a no-virus experience just get yourself linux and you can emulate windows or mac skin on it. There's maybe 10 other people using Linux as their computer OS so you'll be safe.
Yes, in 2017 I wrote a newsletter on just this topic

1652800415058.png

Maiden69

Autocross Champion

I tried Linux, have one machine set in VMware, and also had one in HyperV before I gave it to my son. I do understand what you are saying, but the fact is that Mac OS has always been more proactive than Windows into fixing patches... which is basically what most anti-virus software do. There is a reason why Windows went that route starting with Win10. They are not good at anything anymore but mimicking the competition... hence why the new browser Edge feels like Chrome.

The Big Mac Attack was notorious about the same time I did the switch. Didn't worry me as much as all the garbage that was floating around for Win 7. Most of them were Java related, and both Apple and Java were pushing patches weekly.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Like stated above it is unlikely that it is turned on. Since they no longer boot, get an adapter for the hard drive and connect it to your computer to remove the files.

'There is a lot of information on this site on how to do almost anything on a Mac, I'm sure you can find free software links to use to change the picture format to jpeg, but it should be a straight forward operation.

If that was true I would still be running a desktop... I switched to a 27" iMac in 2011 after about 7 Dell, Hp, Compaq desktops/laptops, all in the $1000 up range. All Windows crap, blue screen, black screen, virus up the a$$, random ransomware from my sons gaming sites. All that BS GONE! I still running that Mac, on High Sierra that was replaced in 2018, still no anti-virus, no anti crap... still no viruses and the Mac still runs like new with only one upgrade, a switch from the HD to an SSD. I don't think anyone can say the same thing out of a Windows OS.

Since then I bought an HP Omen 15 with almost every upgrade available, following recommendations from the dean at my college as I was about to start my cyber classes... within 2 weeks I started getting a fail to boot error. wipe out and re-loaded every thing, including new Windows 10 Pro, worked good, but still had the occasional fail to boot. Finished the class and gave it to my son. Will never spend that kind of money into a Win based piece of crap, will do virtual desktop if I need to run Windows for something inside my Mac.
I was joking without the smiley.

I've administered PC's since CPM/DOS/WfW, Macs, all commercial flavors of Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX. My travel laptop is an 11" 2015 Macbook Air running Monterey, which is my favorite. My point was that the user interface is very dated. This is intentional, a direct contract to Windows that is constantly changing where everything is. MacOS power users don't rely on the user interface that much. They use hotkeys and the command line.

cb1111

I was joking without the smiley.

I've administered PC's since CPM/DOS/WfW, Macs, all commercial flavors of Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX. My travel laptop is an 11" 2015 Macbook Air running Monterey, which is my favorite. My point was that the user interface is very dated. This is intentional, a direct contract to Windows that is constantly changing where everything is. MacOS power users don't rely on the user interface that much. They use hotkeys and the command line.
EDLIN much???? :p:p:p:p:p

I just found some old DOS install disks (all three of them - so what? less than 5MB? for ver 6.22). I also have the Win 3.1 install disks and the Win 95 disks.

Open to offers :p

Oh, and Leisure Suit Larry is there too.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
MacOS is like Windows 95. That's all you need to know.
Good deal....I grew up using that, lol

Makes me feel about the purchase/switch (y)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

The Windows environment definitely had the largest market share making it the "biggest" target just as you have stated. However the instability of the Windows environment vs the Mac environment is the open vs closed system. In the Windows environment literally anybody can write good or bad software post it on line for use and folks can download it directly. There is nothing to protect the environment from poorly written software which makes the environment more vulnerable to failure and also more vulnerable to outside compromise.

The MAC OS is a closed system and you cannot just write software and post it up on a site. Software has to be developed to standards, inspected and approved by Apple.

Windows environment has a rich set of software available for it because you can just write programs and there is a huge audience. For that decision to go open it turns out that they gave away a lot in terms of stability ( think blue screen of death etc ) because there is no quality control over the software that can be loaded into the environment.

At one point, one of my groups was a desktop support group at a major university. We had about 35,000 nodes on the network. When I left there a coupe of years ago we were about 60% Win 30% Mac and 10% other. We had thousands of both types of users. The group was as busy as it could be trying to fix Windows corruption and failure issues daily and yes a good chunk of those calls were virus related. On the Mac bench our guys spent most of their support hours helping users how to get the most out of their environment, they almost never had to deal with calls about a corrupt OS or virus.

When I started there years ago, I was a Windows only user and a big cheerleader for the environment, years later after being exposed to the Mac side, which I resisted, I am an Apple guy now. I only run Windows in a virtual environment on my Macbook Pro and I will admit to having one Thinkpad dedicated to running the VCDS software for my car. Otherwise I have Mac laptop (now 9 years old) which still runs strong and without issue, serveral ipads and iphones only in the family. I also over time have moved all my relatives over to Mac based products and the usual calls have all but stopped. Before that I was having to rescue data and reload machines regularly for all my friends and relatives.

I really want to buy a new Mac laptop with the new M1 processor which is quite a bit faster than anything on the Intel side but this old laptop with its SSD drive just keeps running and like all their top of the line products comes with a great screen and solid case to protect it all and it just won't fail on me but I am hopeful that it will so I can tell my wife I "need" a new laptop.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The Windows environment definitely had the largest market share making it the "biggest" target just as you have stated. However the instability of the Windows environment vs the Mac environment is the open vs closed system. In the Windows environment literally anybody can write good or bad software post it on line for use and folks can download it directly. There is nothing to protect the environment from poorly written software which makes the environment more vulnerable to failure and also more vulnerable to outside compromise.

The MAC OS is a closed system and you cannot just write software and post it up on a site. Software has to be developed to standards, inspected and approved by Apple.

Windows environment has a rich set of software available for it because you can just write programs and there is a huge audience. For that decision to go open it turns out that they gave away a lot in terms of stability ( think blue screen of death etc ) because there is no quality control over the software that can be loaded into the environment.

At one point, one of my groups was a desktop support group at a major university. We had about 35,000 nodes on the network. When I left there a coupe of years ago we were about 60% Win 30% Mac and 10% other. We had thousands of both types of users. The group was as busy as it could be trying to fix Windows corruption and failure issues daily and yes a good chunk of those calls were virus related. On the Mac bench our guys spent most of their support hours helping users how to get the most out of their environment, they almost never had to deal with calls about a corrupt OS or virus.

When I started there years ago, I was a Windows only user and a big cheerleader for the environment, years later after being exposed to the Mac side, which I resisted, I am an Apple guy now. I only run Windows in a virtual environment on my Macbook Pro and I will admit to having one Thinkpad dedicated to running the VCDS software for my car. Otherwise I have Mac laptop (now 9 years old) which still runs strong and without issue, serveral ipads and iphones only in the family. I also over time have moved all my relatives over to Mac based products and the usual calls have all but stopped. Before that I was having to rescue data and reload machines regularly for all my friends and relatives.

I really want to buy a new Mac laptop with the new M1 processor which is quite a bit faster than anything on the Intel side but this old laptop with its SSD drive just keeps running and like all their top of the line products comes with a great screen and solid case to protect it all and it just won't fail on me but I am hopeful that it will so I can tell my wife I "need" a new laptop.

One major difference between Windows and Mac is that Apple locks you into their hardware (I'm not counting virtual environments). Apple obsoletes their hardware by dropping MacOS support for older platforms. Microsoft takes the opposite approach. They obsolete the operating system, not the hardware.

That said, Apple does make great, albeit expensive, hardware. I love my 11" Macbook Air. It's the perfect travel laptop. Too bad I can't replace it as it's no longer made.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
This is only true if you want your software in Apple's Mac App Store. You can still download anything off any random site, including Applications. This is actually how a lot of people get malware on their Macs.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
That said, Apple does make great, albeit expensive, hardware. I love my 11" Macbook Air. It's the perfect travel laptop. Too bad I can't replace it as it's no longer made.
I have an 11" mba that I'm selling with a charger for $100. Let me know if you're interested.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I have an 11" mba that I'm selling with a charger for $100. Let me know if you're interested.
Mine's a 2015, the last year made. I want to always be on the latest MacOS, so I'm not interested in one that's stuck on an older OS. $100 is a good deal though.