GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB: Vu - Local Forum n00b Questions Forum Unwritten Rules - New Pope Being Elected

Status
Not open for further replies.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Question for you pro/semi-pro/really good hobbist photographers,

Do you prefer DSLR or mirrorless and why?

I’m neither of those things but I did start off with a mirrorless Samsung camera. Wanted to get away from the brand as it was hard to get lenses and not much support for it so I got a Pentax DSLR. That being said the Sony Alpha series is a very nice mirrorless camera if your willing to spend the money. I was not wanting to drop that much money at the time. Lately I have been doing film so I don’t have to edit my photos (I know lazy) but it has made me see photography different.

@torga would probably have insight.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I wish I could find this old picture I remember from the mk4 vortex days. This kid had like a 10 foot breaker bar and couldn't break a wheel loose.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I wish I could find this old picture I remember from the mk4 vortex days. This kid had like a 10 foot breaker bar and couldn't break a wheel loose.

I have an 8ft iron pipe in my garage that I bought to break a Honda crank pulley bolt free. It seldom comes out but when it does she gits r done.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Foreigner Mick Jones or Clash Mick Jones? - I dont know who Mike Jones is either
Mike Jones the rapper is who I think of.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion

That's like asking do you prefer a GTI or GLI and why? They're both cars but are designed for different priorities.

At the 10,000 foot level, both are great, but it's pretty clear that the major manufacturers are phasing out the DSLR and investing a lot more in mirrorless. It's also a lot easier to make updates in firmware to improve performance when you don't have a mechanical device holding you back. For example, only the best DSLR's can shoot over 10fps but many mirrorless cameras can do 15fps with the mechanical shutter, and twice that on the electronic.

I think the more decisive question is, do you want a full frame sensor or a crop sensor? Each has their pros and cons. It depends on what your primary use will be.

I'm a hobbyist who grew up in my father's darkroom and shot a lot of film. I recently bought a used pro DSLR and I'm saving up for a mirrorless. The lenses will transfer over with a simple adapter.

There's a photography forum here but it's dead at the moment. If Jay would rather this conversation move over there, I'm fine with that.

torga

Autocross Champion

I’m neither of those things but I did start off with a mirrorless Samsung camera. Wanted to get away from the brand as it was hard to get lenses and not much support for it so I got a Pentax DSLR. That being said the Sony Alpha series is a very nice mirrorless camera if your willing to spend the money. I was not wanting to drop that much money at the time. Lately I have been doing film so I don’t have to edit my photos (I know lazy) but it has made me see photography different.

@torga would probably have insight.

I took a class last week for film printing and learned how to edit film negatives for print >:)
Dodging and burning (and the reason they're called that) make more sense now that I know what it physically takes to do dodging and burning, rather than a slider/brush in editing software.

But as for DSLR vs mirrorless, the only reason I'd recommend a DSLR to someone looking to get into photography is if there's a strict budget constraint. And even then, it would have to be incredibly strict, because excellent mirrorless cameras can be had for less than $1k.
So yeah, mirrorless all the way unless you really don't want to spend very much money. Manufacturers are dropping DSLR product lines left and right and focusing on mirrorless -- it's just better tech now, imo. They're also able to make much smaller/lighter cameras when you don't have to worry about fitting in a mirror and a prism.
As for brands, I'd really recommend Fujifilm. Their JPEG processing is probably the best in the business right now and it's very easy to change the "look" of the JPEGs. Fujifilm spent a lot of time replicating the feel of film. You can think of it like a less intrusive filter. Less like a coat of paint on Instagram and more like a real time filter than respects changes in lighting and such. It feels organic.
Fujifilm does this thing where most of the cameras use largely the same image sensor and processing chip and the biggest difference is in the body of the camera. They really leave it up to the consumer to decide how you wanna use a camera -- whether you just want something small to throw in a bag and casually shoot or if you want something more serious. With either option, you don't have to compromise too much on imaging performance with this methodology.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
As for brands, I'd really recommend Fujifilm. Their JPEG processing is probably the best in the business right now and it's very easy to change the "look" of the JPEGs. Fujifilm spent a lot of time replicating the feel of film. You can think of it like a less intrusive filter. Less like a coat of paint on Instagram and more like a real time filter than respects changes in lighting and such. It feels organic.
Fujifilm does this thing where most of the cameras use largely the same image sensor and processing chip and the biggest difference is in the body of the camera. They really leave it up to the consumer to decide how you wanna use a camera -- whether you just want something small to throw in a bag and casually shoot or if you want something more serious. With either option, you don't have to compromise too much on imaging performance with this methodology.

A friend was helping me score a bike race last night using his Fujifilm mirrorless. The focus peaking was very handy for targetting numbers. That's not an exclusive Fujifilm feature, but they did a great job implementing it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I mean what do you expect when this is what the average owner looks like? You think those arms have the strength to crack that bolt loose?

View attachment 257383
He’s built almost like my son, but not quite tall enough.

torga

Autocross Champion
A friend was helping me score a bike race last night using his Fujifilm mirrorless. The focus peaking was very handy for targetting numbers. That's not an exclusive Fujifilm feature, but they did a great job implementing it.

Oh hell yeah, I LOVEEEEE focus peaking! I always hated manual focus until getting a Fuji camera and finding this feature. So easy to totally nail focus now.

Status
Not open for further replies.