GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Had the same issue as you with Apple Music. Disabling the e-Sim made it work. All other functions were also good with doing that, only thing is the blue dot with a 1 in it, thinking you might have an update waiting.. but, disabling the hotspot didn’t work for me, because it would disconnect the complete iPhone from the infotainment system. Making it impossible to use.

After the update last week to 1896, e-Sim didn’t have to be disabled anymore to make Apple Music stream. Until today, where it had a tiny hickup while streaming. Hoping it was just a onetimer.

Another issue I had after the update to 1896, is a strange behaviour of the gearbox (so it seems). I wonder if any of you guys have the same problem. When braking slowly (e.g. from 50 kmh to 0 kmh) it seems that from 3rd gear to 2nd gear, the gearbox or clutch seems to disengage pretty abruptly. So that feels as if the brakes don’t work for half a second. It makes you feel like you move forward pretty quick and very shortly. It feels very unpleasant and I hope they can fix it. Car is 2 years old, and although downshifting wasn’t as smooth as my previous Golf 7 DSG, its now worse than it was before the 1896 update.

I’m at:

PART: 5H0035816G
HARDWARE: H56
SOFTWARE: 1896
ABT HARDWARE: H40
ABT SOFTWARE: 3074
Do not completely disable hotspot and leave e-Sim enabled. Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Infotainment system as hotspot -> Connected devices
Here you should see your connected iPhone. Click on the globe next to it to have it crossed, then Apple Music streaming works. (see attachment)

Anyhow I had 1896 reinstalled at the service last week. I had my primary user back and all was good for a couple of days until today with a permanent SOS fault. Call button's indicator is red. Nevertheless I pressed it and it was working, it put the call through. The SOS warning with exclamation did not went away though but the indicator led went green. Madness!

I'm getting sick and tired of all this mess and I'm seriously considering Consumer Protection at this point.

Attachments

• ACEFA3C3-F07B-45B0-B46F-0726E4E5755B.jpeg
    ACEFA3C3-F07B-45B0-B46F-0726E4E5755B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Do not completely disable hotspot and leave e-Sim enabled. Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Infotainment system as hotspot -> Connected devices
Here you should see your connected iPhone. Click on the globe next to it to have it crossed, then Apple Music streaming works. (see attachment)

Anyhow I had 1896 reinstalled at the service last week. I had my primary user back and all was good for a couple of days until today with a permanent SOS fault. Call button's indicator is red. Nevertheless I pressed it and it was working, it put the call through. The SOS warning with exclamation did not went away though but the indicator led went green. Madness!

I'm getting sick and tired of all this mess and I'm seriously considering Consumer Protection at this point.

I suspect you will have to have the SOS module replaced.

I do wonder how much all the many issues with the Mk8 Golf is costing VW 🤔.

• Haha
Reactions: tos

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm probably describing what you've attempted already - to set privacy settings:

Main menu - users - settings - privacy and services - choose share position

If a reboot of the Infotainment System helps with this or at any other time - press and hold the power button until clock disappears.
Thanks for the advice... The problem is that instead of the privacy slider, I get an endless waiting animation...and that is why I cannot factory reset... Any other suggestion?

fantozzi.cz

As if I haven t had enough problems with my golf... I recently acquired a new one... Vw never stops to surprise me.... The problem now is that I cannot change my privacy settings and I cannot perform factory settings reset by via the menu option.... Is there any other hard reset option by some key combination or something like that... When I am trying to factory reset it gives me a message of privacy setting not appropriate. I also cannot add basic user...
Does this problem occures after update to 1896? If so, visit service again and ask for reinstall 1896. This was my problem...

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
Does this problem occures after update to 1896? If so, visit service again and ask for reinstall 1896. This was my problem...
No, it occurred after a factory reset....I m still on 1668 software due to a gateway chip incompatibility issue. I have 5WA907530B gateway instead of 5WA907530C.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This thread is getting very complicated and confusing.

Come back my very basic and simple Mini 1275GT, all is forgiven 🙄.
Agree. I’m from an age where I used to do simple maintenance jobs on my cars back in the late 1970’s / early 1980’s and I’m not particularly mechanically minded either. Would I attempt to do anything on a modern car, other than regular tyre pressure and fluid level checks and topping up if necessary, and replacing the wiper blades when needed? No I wouldn’t.

Cars have become unnecessary complex - so much so, than even the dealers (or the car manufacturers themselves) don’t know how to fix some of the issues 😧, especially if the car‘s computer hasn’t stored a fault code. As for ’must-have’ tech in modern cars; I’m not a technophobe, but much of the tech in my car isn’t used because IMHO accessing and using it while driving is a distraction.

Last edited:

feds85

Had the same issue as you with Apple Music. Disabling the e-Sim made it work. All other functions were also good with doing that, only thing is the blue dot with a 1 in it, thinking you might have an update waiting.. but, disabling the hotspot didn’t work for me, because it would disconnect the complete iPhone from the infotainment system. Making it impossible to use.

After the update last week to 1896, e-Sim didn’t have to be disabled anymore to make Apple Music stream. Until today, where it had a tiny hickup while streaming. Hoping it was just a onetimer.

Another issue I had after the update to 1896, is a strange behaviour of the gearbox (so it seems). I wonder if any of you guys have the same problem. When braking slowly (e.g. from 50 kmh to 0 kmh) it seems that from 3rd gear to 2nd gear, the gearbox or clutch seems to disengage pretty abruptly. So that feels as if the brakes don’t work for half a second. It makes you feel like you move forward pretty quick and very shortly. It feels very unpleasant and I hope they can fix it. Car is 2 years old, and although downshifting wasn’t as smooth as my previous Golf 7 DSG, its now worse than it was before the 1896 update.

I’m at:

PART: 5H0035816G
HARDWARE: H56
SOFTWARE: 1896
ABT HARDWARE: H40
ABT SOFTWARE: 3074
Hi. I have exactly the same problem with gearbox! Have you fixed that already?

feds85

Hi. So you had the problem with the gearbox so you went to the dealer and asked them to re-install the 1896 software again and now it is solved?

feds85

Hello all.

My car was 2 weeks at the dealer to install the new software. They replaced some ecu, so 1 week waiting to deliver. Anyway, after the installation I have problem with the gearbox when downshifting from 50 kmh to 0 kmh...sometimes "soft" but sometimes really hard hit.

@fantozzi.cz you mentioned that reinstall helped...also anyone else with the same problem and re-install helped? Just wondering what to say to the dealer.

Problem No. 2 - sometimes the SOS call showing a problem and not working - and then the NAVI system is completely bad. It is showing completely the bad location. Today I also had to switch off the following the speed signs and road following according the navi, because I was driving on a highway and the navi was considering that I am in some city with maximum 50 kmh...really annoying!

somebody with the same problems?

thanks.

Picture showing that I am currently in the river but I was maybe 10km far away from that point and on the highway.

Attachments

• vw navi.jpg
    vw navi.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 71

fantozzi.cz

Hi. So you had the problem with the gearbox so you went to the dealer and asked them to re-install the 1896 software again and now it is solved?
No, I've had problems with Main user settings...

tos

Go Kart Newbie
Problem No. 2 - sometimes the SOS call showing a problem and not working - and then the NAVI system is completely bad. It is showing completely the bad location. Today I also had to switch off the following the speed signs and road following according the navi, because I was driving on a highway and the navi was considering that I am in some city with maximum 50 kmh...really annoying!

somebody with the same problems?

thanks.

Picture showing that I am currently in the river but I was maybe 10km far away from that point and on the highway.
I have exactly same problem.
Do you have access to obd11? Check from infotainment channels how many GPS satellites it sees?

My car sees only one satellite! sometimes when it working it see more than 3 satellites.
I have service at the end of August - GPS antenna is broken.

feds85

I have exactly same problem.
Do you have access to obd11? Check from infotainment channels how many GPS satellites it sees?

My car sees only one satellite! sometimes when it working it see more than 3 satellites.
I have service at the end of August - GPS antenna is broken.
No, I don´t have access to obd11 now, I will ask some guys around to check, anyway, the car is still in warranty so I will go to dealer to fix it. I have the car back for one month (spent 2 weeks for ecu change and soft install) but the SOS call issue started yesterday + navi map disaster connected when SOS issue occured. According navi I should be around 150km far away from the current location. And what annoys me is when I drive on a highway and the car is "following" the road according navi maps and the car starts decelerate because it thinks there is some round about in front of me.

How about gearbox issue - everything OK?