GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electric Mini-quad build for m(e)y son

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
My son is 6 weeks old after being 4 weeks preemie sooooooo he's about 2 weeks overdue on his first build project. Here's the bones:
Resized_Snapchat-585572519.jpeg

I ordered a 2kw electric motor kit and battery. Hoping that it will be running in a couple weeks. I'd like to chop it up a little bit, widen and lower it to keep the center of gravity low. Also want to add a front suspension since its a little bouncy as is. Brakes need some work, needs tires re-mounted and obviously a seat but other than that this is a perfect frame for what I'm going for. Was originally looking for a kart or bike frame which everyone wants like $300+ for, but this came up for 85 bucks near my brother in laws house so I had him pick it up for me.

Open to all feedback and suggestions! I want to make this thing cool for adults and kids

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Measure the seat frame for me. I'm selling a bunch of Arctic Cat Ramrod minibike parts, and I may have a seat for you.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Measure the seat frame for me. I'm selling a bunch of Arctic Cat Ramrod minibike parts, and I may have a seat for you.
That'd be sick, thanks man! I'll check when I get home

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Made a sprocket for the output shaft since I couldn't find the one I needed that matched the chain size from the quad for a reasonable price. Still needs some dremel work for the flats on the bore but almost there. Not perfect but it will do

1662577033096.png

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Damn dude, that’s awesome! I picked up a golf cart motor just to see if I could put it in something but haven’t figured out what, yet. Something like this might be perfect. Please update with your progress if you don’t mind.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
when it's ready a picture of you with the kid in a baby seat (either real or redneck style) would be fun

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
1662642161513.png

This is a shitty drawing of the seat frame. red circles are the attachment points but really anything can be made to work

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Damn dude, that’s awesome! I picked up a golf cart motor just to see if I could put it in something but haven’t figured out what, yet. Something like this might be perfect. Please update with your progress if you don’t mind.
definitely will be updating! i think i can have it running this weekend depending on when the battery gets delivered

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I love it haha. It would go great with the metallic purple paint I want to give it

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The seat is 9"W x 14" long x 3" thick. Plywood base with inserts, although I haven't taken it off the frame so no guarantees if the bolts will break off when removing them. This is a 50 year old part.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The seat is 9"W x 14" long x 3" thick. Plywood base with inserts, although I haven't taken it off the frame so no guarantees if the bolts will break off when removing them. This is a 50 year old part.
Damn not quite big enough I dont think. I'd like to be able to get my son on the seat in front of me when he's old enough for rides. Thanks for offering though, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Its verrrrking. It verks! This was so easy to get running, I love it. I had to cut some of the previous owners additions off, motor mounting plate, tabs, etc. Then I fabbed my own mount for the motor by welding the bolts it came with onto a plate then welding that plate to the chassis. Sheet metal and self tappers for the motor controller to the bottom of the seat frame keeps it up and out of the way and in the most impact-resistant spot (not like I'll be taking this thing off jumps but my backyard is REALLY bumpy). This battery came with a hard but flexible, almost like fake carbon fiber but without the resin if that makes sense, plastic case that has velcro straps to attach it to bike frames. I had to move mine back further than I like since it fit really well in the space in the front of the chassis, but my battery leads werent long enough to reach the controller in that spot. Maybe one day I'll extend them but for now I'm happy. Motor was spinning the wrong way but a quick re-wire fixed that.

After mounting the motor I realized the chain was too loose. The tension pulley isn't in a useable spot where I mounted the motor so I either needed to relocate that or figure something else out. I was able to put washers under the side of the motor closer to the rear axle that lifted the motor and pulled the chain tight and now its nice and snug.

It wont get started moving with me on it unless I push off but I think its because of the 4 flat tires. New tires on the way since these ones are dry-rotted, along with a 3 speed switch for the motor and I just ordered a seat. It seems like it'll be really fast once it's moving. I want to get it put together and test it out, then I'll tear it all down, grind some welds and give it a good coat of paint before I think about slamming/widening it

Attachments

• 20220908_214750.jpg
    20220908_214750.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
  • 20220908_214756.jpg
    20220908_214756.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
  • 20220908_214814.jpg
    20220908_214814.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
  • 20220908_214801.jpg
    20220908_214801.jpg