GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trailer hitch?

bentin

Autocross Champion
I had to do something similar with my GTI, was super easy and I got a nice tight fit with a dremel tool. Let us know how it goes. It looks like you may not even need to take the bumper off.
Oh no, the bumper has to come off, and the outer tails, which is why I think I'll just do Euro Tails at the same time.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Do you have confirmed reports that this hitch works with the larger R exhaust? I just found a car for less $ and may jump on it, but this hitch thing is a deal breaker
No, I reached out to Torklift and they haven't confirmed fitment. I don't think exhaust is an issue though as the stock R exhaust actually looks to sit further back than the GTI.

mbusa

No, I reached out to Torklift and they haven't confirmed fitment. I don't think exhaust is an issue though as the stock R exhaust actually looks to sit further back than the GTI.

That's super helpful. Thanks for sharing the pics.

bentin

Autocross Champion
It does highlight that the hole in the GTI is on a relatively flat area, where the R it's much more curved. I'm curious how much cutting I'll need to do, but I suppose the good news is that the valence is only $180, so getting a replacement if I really bork it up won't be too bad.

TexasChris

That's super helpful. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Hey mbusa... my car will be ready for pickup in a week or so... any pics on the install of this hitch? Judging the link to the hitch you noted it does not look like the bumper has to come off for this install... or am I looking at it wrong?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Hey mbusa... my car will be ready for pickup in a week or so... any pics on the install of this hitch? Judging the link to the hitch you noted it does not look like the bumper has to come off for this install... or am I looking at it wrong?
Where are you in Texas? I'm in Austin, picked up my R in Ft Worth yesterday and brought it home today. I'm still on the fence about ordering the hitch, it absolutely has to have the bumper removed, but that's really not a big deal. The issue for the R is cutting a hole in the diffuser for the receiver to be accessible. So far, it's looking like I get to be the guinea pig. Good news is that a replacement is under $200, so even if I truly fubar it, it's not that bad to replace it.

I have a Sea Sucker that I'm comfortable with, but it sure is easier to use the 1Up if I can get it to work on the R.

Last edited:

mbusa

Where are you in Texas? I'm in Austin, picked up my R in Ft Worth yesterday and brought it home today. I'm still on the fence about ordering the hitch, it absolutely has to have the bumper removed, but that's really not a big deal. The issue for the R is cutting a hole in the diffuser for the receiver to be accessible. So far, it's looking like I get to be the guinea pig. Good news is that a replacement is under $200, so even if I truly fubar it, it's not that bad to replace it.

I have a Sea Sucker that I'm comfortable with, but it sure is easier to use the 1Up if I can get it to work on the R.

That thing is looking SICK! Mine will be delivered between 2/5 & 2/15, also white. I am going to put the hitch on straight away. I was hoping you had installed your already - haha. Like I said previously. I had to notch the diffuser with the hitch on my Mk7 GTI. I'm not concerned about doing it for the ECOHitch as it looks like you can take the receiver completely off so that you know exactly where it will land on the diffuser. Then take it slow & steady with a dremel wheel or a oscillating tool. 1up is the only way to go for me. I'm not putting my big ass enduro bike on the top - the rear wheel will hit the spoiler. Also having a 2" receiver means I can pile 4 bikes on the back of that thing for vacation or high speed shuttle runs.

My only remaining question is do I go black, graphite, or gold for the rims for my winter wheels.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 6.53.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 6.53.31 PM.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 44

bentin

Autocross Champion
Gold is the answer. I’ll likely go gold or bronze for 18s and all seasons. These should go on this week.

bentin

Autocross Champion
The SeaSucker has a separate rear wheel mount. I should throw my SJ EVO up there, it’s long af and may run out of roof real estate. The roady of course is no issue.

TexasChris

Hey Bentin, yes, mine will be white also. Just heard it has been loaded with the transporter so probably will be delivered to the dealer this weekend.

I'm in the McKinney area... I think I saw your car (online) at the Fort Worth dealer but when I called it was already sold. Nice grab!

I installed a hitch on my MK 7.5 and yes, the bumper did need to be removed. Hardest part, honestly, were the two screws in the rear tire wheel wells. They fought me tooth and nail. I also cut a hole in the diffuser, but really wasn't an issue... measure twice and cut once. Used a Dremel and filed down the plastic burs.

I was sweating it also but it actually turned out fine.

I'm still curious which hitch you are thinking about buying. I've looked around online and shot off a couple of emails, but no one can confirm if the one I bought for my previous R will fit on the 2023.

Is this the one you are considering: https://torkliftcentral.com/vw-gti-trailer-hitch-by-ecohitchr?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yes, that's the one. They adjusted it slightly from the Mk7 version to adjust for the very minorly different bumper shape, but only the removeable receiver, the actual hitch itself is still the same. So if you already have the Mk7 version, you should only need the new receiver. And I also think that's just for to clear the opening in the Mk8 GTI diffuser and not require a cut. Since we'll be cutting anyway, you should be fine with the old one.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
My gti if this helps

Attachments

• 594EC839-E557-4A81-9788-E74C1707D892.jpeg
    594EC839-E557-4A81-9788-E74C1707D892.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 265
  • 0C273563-ECD3-4FA3-BAD3-B277648CC3F4.jpeg
    0C273563-ECD3-4FA3-BAD3-B277648CC3F4.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 252
  • F4D5694A-A058-4EC1-8BF0-D8CEA813E37D.jpeg
    F4D5694A-A058-4EC1-8BF0-D8CEA813E37D.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 4D3C304B-142D-4AB5-AF1C-30CCCD34F604.jpeg
    4D3C304B-142D-4AB5-AF1C-30CCCD34F604.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 401259FE-8EFD-477A-8EA1-2C84FD4C32B6.jpeg
    401259FE-8EFD-477A-8EA1-2C84FD4C32B6.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 6C7B0538-81A3-4867-9596-D66D948380B5.jpeg
    6C7B0538-81A3-4867-9596-D66D948380B5.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 256

mbusa

Hey Bentin, yes, mine will be white also. Just heard it has been loaded with the transporter so probably will be delivered to the dealer this weekend.

I'm in the McKinney area... I think I saw your car (online) at the Fort Worth dealer but when I called it was already sold. Nice grab!

I installed a hitch on my MK 7.5 and yes, the bumper did need to be removed. Hardest part, honestly, were the two screws in the rear tire wheel wells. They fought me tooth and nail. I also cut a hole in the diffuser, but really wasn't an issue... measure twice and cut once. Used a Dremel and filed down the plastic burs.

I was sweating it also but it actually turned out fine.

I'm still curious which hitch you are thinking about buying. I've looked around online and shot off a couple of emails, but no one can confirm if the one I bought for my previous R will fit on the 2023.

Is this the one you are considering: https://torkliftcentral.com/vw-gti-trailer-hitch-by-ecohitchr?
I ordered one today. Car will be here the first week of Feb. We’ll see how this goes