GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles out of our dcc shocks?

adam1991

Banned
Has anyone had to replace yet? How many miles are we expecting to see out of these? I heard it is $1500 for parts alone...

If you can't afford the service, you can't afford the car. Isn't that what all the Lexus owners say to the world to convince themselves that the $150 oil change on their V6 motor is well worth the 3X that of the Toyota oil change on the same motor?

dynastyss

Ready to race!
If you can't afford the service, you can't afford the car. Isn't that what all the Lexus owners say to the world to convince themselves that the $150 oil change on their V6 motor is well worth the 3X that of the Toyota oil change on the same motor?

Welp, better sell the car now. Lord knows I can't afford $1500.

Any other financial advice while I am liquidating my assets?

Thanks

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
If you can't afford the service, you can't afford the car.

Jesus dude, he just threw that number out there without any reference to whether or not he could afford it. For all you know, he could be a VP at Apple with 8-figure stock options and a mansion in the Santa Cruz mountains. Don't be a penis wrinkle by making an irrelevant and insulting comment like that, it's not a good look.

I think it's a good question worth pondering. The stock shocks on a non-DCC car are probably some fairly low-end Sachs units that probably cost VW no more than about $25 apiece and are probably tired by 40k miles or less. Slap on some aftermarket lowering springs and cut that figure in half, or maybe by 2/3rds.

But the Tenneco-sourced DCC shocks are a completely different animal. But just because they are more sophisticated in their design,
does that mean they are more durable and will have better longevity? Who knows. I'd like to know.

I'd probably replace mine with Bilstein B6's if they ever wear appreciably during my ownership of the car. Would probably be cheaper than the OEM parts, and probably last longer.

Backinblack

Jesus dude, he just threw that number out there without any reference to whether or not he could afford it. For all you know, he could be a VP at Apple with 8-figure stock options and a mansion in the Santa Cruz mountains. Don't be a penis wrinkle by making an irrelevant and insulting comment like that, it's not a good look.

I think it's a good question worth pondering. The stock shocks on a non-DCC car are probably some fairly low-end Sachs units that probably cost VW no more than about $25 apiece and are probably tired by 40k miles or less. Slap on some aftermarket lowering springs and cut that figure in half, or maybe by 2/3rds.

But the Tenneco-sourced DCC shocks are a completely different animal. But just because they are more sophisticated in their design,
does that mean they are more durable and will have better longevity? Who knows. I'd like to know.

I'd probably replace mine with Bilstein B6's if they ever wear appreciably during my ownership of the car. Would probably be cheaper than the OEM parts, and probably last longer.

Great post. I have H&R sport springs on my DCC R and once the shocks are toast I'm also interested in better options.
My truck has Icon shocks which are can be re-built. Is this not the case with vw shocks?

Golf R1

Ready to race!
Good thread/topic. I'm certainly interested to know as well, especially since I just added APR springs at 20k miles. So far so good btw. Coming home tonight on the Bayside Bridge I toggled between comfort and race on a bouncy stretch of the bridge. Was pretty cool to feel the immediate feedback. Comfort still does a nice job stabilizing the car while race mode didn't do much to dampen the ride. We'll see how long they hold up. How do we know when to replace? Is there a test or indicator or is it just a feel thing?

SRoads

Ready to race!
when it feels like a 70s caddy...defiantly time to change. leaking fluid from the dampers.

Last edited:

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
when it feels like a 70s caddy...defiantly time to change. leaking fluid from the dampers.

For sure. Back in the 70’s, that only took about 10K miles. I remember shopping around for Bilsteins almost the day after I bought a car back then.

I think OEM shocks have come a long way since then. We have a 2012 BMW X3 which has similar adjustable shocks/struts, and they are still doing well at 50K.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
We only use valved shocks so I expect they'll only last until the piston seals are worn, just like any other strut. They're not a new product - I had them as factory installed on my 1991 Mazda. I hope ours are better. :)

Thurnis

Ready to race!
Maybe a stupid question..
but does race mode put more wear on the shocks than comfort... or is it comfort because its doing more work to dampen things?