GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY DSG Fluid and Filter Change

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Probably. i do know that the tech i bought from let me know that the bottles changed as of a couple weeks back.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Going to be doing this soon. Top fill, measure and replace method. When getting the fluid, is there any difference between getting the Liqui Moly, Pentosin, or Genuine VW? One better than the other? Or just get the cheapest of the 3, since they all meet spec?
I snagged a Full OEM kit for 70. Heard Febi is OEM and thekit can be had for under 80 on ebay.
It's all probably made at the same factory and filled in the different brand bottles.

FWIW Pentosin FFL-2 is the factory fill according to Pentosin's fact sheet.
"Pentosin FFL-2 is the only approved first fill and service fill transmission fluid for the new generation of AVW double clutch gear transmissions (DSG)" The kit is part # 8038207kit and is available on RockAuto for about $85 shipped last I looked.

http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/pentosin_ffl-2.pdf

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
used a finishing nail to make a hold used a needle for a ball pump and my bike tire pump and pumped the air into the bottle which forced it right in quickly and easily.

What a good idea.

I have a 5L jug and I don't suppose that will fit on there though.

k9lovr

All,
Want to thank all for the great information in this thread. Used the top fill method this past weekend and it worked out great. I used the Pentosin kit purchased from FCP Euro and a 10L (I think) measurement buckets I picked up at Home Depot for like $5. I did notice when I was waiting for the fluid to drain while refilling that I have a minor leak from the end of the intake manifold/valve cover area? I will upload pictures when I get home but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this or know what part is leaking? It looks like a block off plate or something. You can see it when you remove the intake box. Anyway thanks all again!

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
I did the DSG service the other weekend and wanted to pass along a few things that may make it easier for others.

1. Do the top fill.
2. You don't need a special funnel and tube. Any funnel will work and just slowly fill up the filter cup area, let the fluid drain into the case and repeat.
3. I didn't bother measuring what was coming out and put the full container of Pentosin in.
4. To level out the car for draining out the excess fluid I put a jack under the K member in the rear. The front was on ramps.

I was most worried about getting the car up to temp to quickly and missing the drain window. This took longer than expected even after the car was warmed and gave plenty of time to drain out the excess. Its a pretty easy job to do yourself.
Kmemberjackpoint.jpg
DSGfiltercup.jpg

random11

Resurrecting an old thread. I just followed this top fill method at 80k on my ‘15 GTI, the 40k was done by VW. So this was as easy as everyone said, although I had trouble reaching the front/right-most screw for the battery tray, what a pain!
So anyway, I removed fully 5.15L - so I poured in the full 5L that I ordered. I have to assume whatever tech did the service just did a lazy fill and left it over-full. So, I’m going on the assumption that 5.25(including filter, roughly) didn’t do any harm, so 5.0L should be fine. Am I completely crazy here? I don’t want to put in another .25, partially because I don’t have it :^) But also, nobody seems to have come close to that much oil, so I feel fairly confident that it was overfull to begin with.
FWIW, the oil was still pretty clean looking, in my uneducated, uninformed opinion. Any thoughts/opinions welcome.

random11

Sure sounds like a little overfill.

Many people have done drain and fill and had no issues.
Right - and it all went fine, I’m just getting a different (higher) quantity than literally everyone else, so you know, it makes you worry a bit. I’d be more worried if I came in really low though.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Agreed on the dealer overfilling. Personally, I would of just put in 4.7L, but I would not think that .3L is going to over-pressurize the system. My opinion is your are fine, but it sure would be easy to remove .2L and have the correct amount in.

random11

Agreed on the dealer overfilling. Personally, I would of just put in 4.7L, but I would not think that .3L is going to over-pressurize the system. My opinion is your are fine, but it sure would be easy to remove .2L and have the correct amount in.
Yeah, I just couldnt’ decide, some online resources mention 5.2L as the replacement service quantity, so I started second guessing myself. I think I’m going to leave the 5L alone, it’s certainly less than I ran the last 40k miles.

TDIWNY

Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Why not open the drain plug to see if fluid runs out at proper temperature of 35 degrees C? Let excess spill out. If nothing comes out. you'll need to add more.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Resurrecting an old thread. I just followed this top fill method at 80k on my ‘15 GTI, the 40k was done by VW. So this was as easy as everyone said, although I had trouble reaching the front/right-most screw for the battery tray, what a pain!
So anyway, I removed fully 5.15L - so I poured in the full 5L that I ordered. I have to assume whatever tech did the service just did a lazy fill and left it over-full. So, I’m going on the assumption that 5.25(including filter, roughly) didn’t do any harm, so 5.0L should be fine. Am I completely crazy here? I don’t want to put in another .25, partially because I don’t have it :^) But also, nobody seems to have come close to that much oil, so I feel fairly confident that it was overfull to begin with.
FWIW, the oil was still pretty clean looking, in my uneducated, uninformed opinion. Any thoughts/opinions welcome.
Drained mine today, had 4.9L come out. Will probably put in 4.8L in.