GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change Dilemma-Question(s)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
The ONLY reason I ever take mine into the dealer for an oil change is because I have VWcare till 60k......so 10/20/30k, etc are covered. I do my own oil change at 5k intervals in between when the dealer sees it. Extractor FTW

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
you would not like how an oil extractor cannot extract the last 1/5-1/4 quart of oil sitting at the bottom of the pan.
This is not true at all. The extractor gets almost everything out. I've opened the drain plug after extracting during all my oil changes and maybe had a drop or two come out at most. Please don't spread false information with no proof other than what your brain feels.

The extractor works great and is a solid investment. Easiest oil changes ever. Get yourself an extractor and a 32 mm socket for the filter housing and you're golden

Edit: also never bring your car to a "quick-change" oil service place. They are trash

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
you would not like how an oil extractor cannot extract the last 1/5-1/4 quart of oil sitting at the bottom of the pan.

I find I am able to get pretty damn close.typically have to put back in 5 and 3/4ths a quart.

I drop the line in through the dipstick down to the pan, suck until it gets air bubbles, the push it in farther to get more till it stops getting air. Repeat until always getting air.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Also if you have a decent compressor, get a pneumatic extractor. So much better than the manual ones.

ebg18t

Ready to race!
Really? Why?

they forecasted the endless complaints & questions. they made a calculated decision that the price they through out would have you move along to somewhere else and it worked.

If you proceeded with the oil change they would atleast have beer money left over to recover from the experience.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I will give OP props for knowing what he wants. Putting seat back in orig position is extreme but not wanting steering wheel/carpet stained is reasonable

chrisk03

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI-AB DSG
This is not true at all. The extractor gets almost everything out. I've opened the drain plug after extracting during all my oil changes and maybe had a drop or two come out at most. Please don't spread false information with no proof other than what your brain feels.

The extractor works great and is a solid investment. Easiest oil changes ever. Get yourself an extractor and a 32 mm socket for the filter housing and you're golden

Edit: also never bring your car to a "quick-change" oil service place. They are trash

Thanks for this. Just picked up an extractor during the recent Holiday sales and hope to use soon. I've heard the comments about the extractor NOT getting the last little bit, but not too concerned. I also thought that if it really bothered me, I'd just add a little bit of the new oil and suck that out in hopes it gathers some of the leftover old oil. Nevertheless, if it's good enough for most high end vehicles/dealerships (my AMG was done by extractor at dealer) not too worried.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Serious question @joeblonewjersey, is this a troll thread?

I think we all have a certain level of being anal about our cars, but OP, regardless of your age, I think your bar is way way too high and I agree with @Hoon that they simply priced you out of their shop. They saw your potential to be an asshole customer about nonsense things like seat position from a mile away and said, "No, thank you, we will not subject ourselves to this."

If you have such requirements, just do the work yourself. It is not difficult or messy to change the oil in this car no matter if you're crawling under or extracting out the top like many of us do.

I'm 15 years younger than you and I expect a job done right and to follow the basic direction at the dealership of "don't wash the car" , but that's all I expect, and I'd certainly not be "interviewing" anyone.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

This is not true at all.

Actually @imthanick_a there are multiple videos including from ShopDAP (and my own experience bottom draining after extraction) showing that the extractor method can absolutely leave 1-300ML of oil, which translates to the 1/5-1/4 quart of oil in the pan @GTI-CAL mentioned, and I am pretty thorough about sucking the shit out of that pan.

So, yes, it absolutely is true and can happen. That being said, as Paul from ShopDAP and other mechanics/enthusiasts point out, that amount of oil isn't much to be worried about in the grand scheme of the amount of new oil you're putting in and when using a quality filter.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Actually @imthanick_a there are multiple videos including from ShopDAP (and my own experience bottom draining after extraction) showing that the extractor method can absolutely leave 1-300ML of oil, which translates to the 1/5-1/4 quart of oil in the pan @GTI-CAL mentioned, and I am pretty thorough about sucking the shit out of that pan.

So, yes, it absolutely is true and can happen. That being said, as Paul from ShopDAP and other mechanics/enthusiasts point out, that amount of oil isn't much to be worried about in the grand scheme of the amount of new oil you're putting in and when using a quality filter.
ya the trick is to really siphon it all out at the end get the bubbles and move the stick around til there is nothing left