GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Clutch Bypass Options?

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
As I'm nearing 30,000 miles on my mk7, the clutch is feeling quite rough. (Aftermarket clutch and tuned car)

Does anyone know of options to code out the need to depress the clutch in order to start the car?

It is my understanding that the thrust bearings go dry when the engine is off then wear excessively when you first depress the clutch to start your car.

I don't expect this to fix my issues but I'd like to do it as a precaution and can't find any info on it anywhere except for a MKIV. Help is appreciated!

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
A magnet is the only way. I have been doing some testing and hopefully will have a momentary switch hooked up to an electromagnet.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
A magnet is the only way. I have been doing some testing and hopefully will have a momentary switch hooked up to an electromagnet.

Were you actually able to get it to work with an electromagnet? I tried and don't see how it's possible with a 12v. They're not powerful enough, seemingly.

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
Were you actually able to get it to work with an electromagnet? I tried and don't see how it's possible with a 12v. They're not powerful enough, seemingly.
I haven't yet, but I have a few ideas.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I haven't yet, but I have a few ideas.

Well, if you succeed I'm all ears. My idea was to connect an electro to a cheap logic board that all powers up with car "on" then turns off the magnet a few seconds later (after car has started) thus removing the need to use a momentary switch or do anything extra beyond regular car on/start.

But I didn't get past making it work with neodymium magnets. They're much stronger than any small 12v electro that I know of.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
I’m also interested to see if anyone can make the electromagnet idea work. I appreciate the work everyone else has put in this far in trying.

Ridebjj, what were the electromagnets you used rated for force wise? Also, how close to the sensors did you mount them? I’m not above electric taping it to the sensor to get it close enough.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I’m also interested to see if anyone can make the electromagnet idea work. I appreciate the work everyone else has put in this far in trying.

Ridebjj, what were the electromagnets you used rated for force wise? Also, how close to the sensors did you mount them? I’m not above electric taping it to the sensor to get it close enough.

Only one could fit in that same tiny space where the neodymium magnets get put to make it work and it was rated 25n/2.5kg. I had another twice as big and twics as strong but it won't go into that space. I tried moving it all around the area, but no dice.

Compared to the neo disc's, they are much much weaker.

Maybe it'd be possible to custom wind a super small magnet with a huge amount of wire wound into a tiny housing and result in something way stronger than what 10 bucks buys on Amazon? I was going to crack one open and see how it's built.

Last edited:

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I achieved partial success over the weekend. I built my own electromagnet capable of tripping the first level clutch activation sensor - which fires off whenever you press the clutch in even slightly. But that one is easy. Getting the one that counts, the one tripped by clutching nearly all the way is proving much harder so far. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze on this, but I get kind of obsessed with problem hacking and have trouble giving up. So, I dunno what will happen but I'm still trying.

Magnets?? How do they work?!

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
I achieved partial success over the weekend. I built my own electromagnet capable of tripping the first level clutch activation sensor - which fires off whenever you press the clutch in even slightly. But that one is easy. Getting the one that counts, the one tripped by clutching nearly all the way is proving much harder so far. I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze on this, but I get kind of obsessed with problem hacking and have trouble giving up. So, I dunno what will happen but I'm still trying.

This is exactly what I have encountered. The space down there is so small. And I am starting to feel it isnt worth persuing, my girlfriend was getting mad at me this weekend for obsessing over a problem that has a solution.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Is this a problem with all aftermarket clutches?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
This is exactly what I have encountered. The space down there is so small. And I am starting to feel it isnt worth persuing, my girlfriend was getting mad at me this weekend for obsessing over a problem that has a solution.

Yes, exactly. The problem is that very small space and doing it without modifying any existing parts. I think it will come down to making an e.m. with a custom shape.

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI

Thanks for the insight everyone, I haven't checked in in a while so interested to see this many replies. Looks like I'll just tough it out and save for a bottom end rebuild in the future. If there's any way i can help development of your idea let me know!

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I couldn't let it go and now I'm so close to solving this with the idea of using a push solenoid to move the magnets into position on power up. It's down now to building a solid mounting rig.