GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing back to the Golf R's from the Type R

Mjonesjr8

Passed Driver's Ed
After having a '17 manual Golf R then a '18 DSG Golf R, I traded and went with a '19 Type R. After only putting 4700 miles on it during the year I had it I decided I really missed something about the Golf R so the Type R is gone and
I should pick up a '19 DSG Lapiz Blue Metallic Golf R Friday or Saturday. The Type R is a great ride no doubt and don't really have any complaints about it but, decided I was just happier with the Golf R's :)

Funtuzzi

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome back!
The CivicType R was one of the cars on my shortlist when shopping for the Golf R. Never had a chance to drive the Civic, but am happy I went with the Golf R. Golf is a great driver's car!

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
What did you like over the Type R? Your location might have to do with it, but down here in Florida I can't think of anything the R can do better (no snow).

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
What I’m more curious about is how much you lost in total after all those trade-ins, assuming that’s what you did.

I have spent money like that on cars in the past, sometimes it was worth it, sometimes I regretted it. Hey, we are car nuts! Right now 2014 A8 4.0, modded 2017 Alltrack, stone stock 2018 GTI, beater 2006 Volvo S60 (actually a really great car) and my latest craziness Mercedes 2018 E450 wagon Dolomite over Nut Brown , a gorgeous car! I have the Mercedes and Volvo here in the Ukraine, rest of them back in Maine. I am 72 years old, still working, still loving cars and all things automotive. One thing I have learned is don't question someone's automotive passions! My FIRST wife did:)!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I think the first problem (or hate) I would have with the Type-R is traction on real world roads. AWD is just insane grip and these modern AWD systems with vectoring software, understeer is a thing of the past. I love my Golf-R and my other AWD cars.

Welcome back!

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I have spent money like that on cars in the past, sometimes it was worth it, sometimes I regretted it. Hey, we are car nuts! Right now 2014 A8 4.0, modded 2017 Alltrack, stone stock 2018 GTI, beater 2006 Volvo S60 (actually a really great car) and my latest craziness Mercedes 2018 E450 wagon Dolomite over Nut Brown , a gorgeous car! I have the Mercedes and Volvo here in the Ukraine, rest of them back in Maine. I am 72 years old, still working, still loving cars and all things automotive. One thing I have learned is don't question someone's automotive passions! My FIRST wife did:)!

Amen brother! My wife, first and only wife, over time has learned not to bitch and complain about my passion for modding my cars. She knows that it makes me happy and keeps me quiet and I'm not out at the bars getting drunk and starting fights or flirting with women.

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
I think the first problem (or hate) I would have with the Type-R is traction on real world roads. AWD is just insane grip and these modern AWD systems with vectoring software, understeer is a thing of the past. I love my Golf-R and my other AWD cars.

Welcome back!

Push harder, you'll find that understeer. Golf R def has understeer.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Amen brother! My wife, first and only wife, over time has learned not to bitch and complain about my passion for modding my cars. She knows that it makes me happy and keeps me quiet and I'm not out at the bars getting drunk and starting fights or flitterin

Smart wife.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Snow is not the be all/end all reason to get awd. Not even close.