GOLFMKV

Who’s 16’ white Golf R is this? Denver - Schomp BMW

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Repost from general thread:

16 Golf R

I put a hold deposit down on this Golf R earlier today with VIn #:

WVWLF7AU6GW246466

It’s at the Schomp BMW dealership. They have it listed as a base but it has driver assistance as well with only 23,088 miles.

First thing I see is that it’s slightly lowered and it comes with a set of winter and summer tires(cool, right?!). I open the hood and it has a Racingline Intake, some ceramic coated DP, ceramic tint, clear bra etc. This is a white 16 Golf R.

Anyone claim it and able to give me some info before I purchase this weekend?

Thanks!

flogR

Ready to race!
Here in South Australia, cars for sale at dealers have a form attached that shows the previous owner. Maybe you have the same system? Good luck.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Here in South Australia, cars for sale at dealers have a form attached that shows the previous owner. Maybe you have the same system? Good luck.

From an enthusiast stand point, I would love that! Definitely crosses over privacy laws here so doing a “craigslist missed connection” search is all we have.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...... I open the hood and it has a Racingline Intake, some ceramic coated DP, ceramic tint, clear bra etc. This is a white 16 Golf R.....

No knowledge/background on this one. I'm in Denver area as well '16 LSG R here. Considering it has intake and DP wondering if it's tuned as well? With it being a local car I suppose good shot it would be Bluewater or Emich (since it looks like it was serviced there looking at Carfax), which would probably mean APR tune if so? Anyways, maybe Emich can provide some background for you?

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
No knowledge/background on this one. I'm in Denver area as well '16 LSG R here. Considering it has intake and DP wondering if it's tuned as well? With it being a local car I suppose good shot it would be Bluewater or Emich (since it looks like it was serviced there looking at Carfax), which would probably mean APR tune if so? Anyways, maybe Emich can provide some background for you?

Good call. I called both emich and BW yesterday and they were closed for New Years day(Emichs service side was closed). Going to call both again later today to see if they can identify the vin and have a touch of knowledge about it..

Last edited:

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Ok, I just found some information:

Emich VW 2017 - Fuel Rail Sensor replacement
Emich VW 2019 - Downpipe install w/ new clamps and such

Berg Performance - Oil change at 11,500(a bit late but ok)
Berg Performance - Oil change at 16,800
Berg Performance - Oil change at 22,600

Berg Performance mentioned they did not do any tuning to the car. I called APR and it does not have tuning on it and UM apparently cannot let me know if tuning was done with a VIN number.

Sounds like the guy is running a downpipe and intake with no tuning as of yet. According to CarFax(CarFax Warranty Info) the car no longer has the basic warranty but powertrain is still moving along.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Ok, I just found some information:.......Sounds like the guy is running a downpipe and intake with no tuning as of yet....

Interesting. Running w/o tune and the DP the previous owner either was running with CEL always on (or clearing it w/ OBD Eleven or VCDS) OR you have a spacer on the DP that may or may not be effective on preventing the CEL from popping up. I suppose there is a long shot that PO was on Eurodyne or Cobb w/ or w/o Protune (this is what I run through EQT on my R), but judging by who they were going to for service highly unlikely. Whatever the case good luck with your decision man!

Edit - Just noticed you have a couple of x-posts on this. Someone brought up JB4...definitely a strong possibility if they were trying to avoid TD1 (dont know why I didn't think of that). I ran JB4 for a while before switching to my Cobb/EQT E40 e-tune, as I'm technically on CPO warranty through Aug of this year. I quickly gave that up cause I couldn't help myself!

Last edited:

flogR

Ready to race!
Under the circumstances of not knowing exactly what has been done to it I would give it a miss. Alternatively you have a good reason to negotiate a price reduction.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting. Running w/o tune and the DP the previous owner either was running with CEL always on (or clearing it w/ OBD Eleven or VCDS) OR you have a spacer on the DP that may or may not be effective on preventing the CEL from popping up. I suppose there is a long shot that PO was on Eurodyne or Cobb w/ or w/o Protune (this is what I run through EQT on my R), but judging by who they were going to for service highly unlikely. Whatever the case good luck with your decision man!

Edit - Just noticed you have a couple of x-posts on this. Someone brought up JB4...definitely a strong possibility if they were trying to avoid TD1 (dont know why I didn't think of that). I ran JB4 for a while before switching to my Cobb/EQT E40 e-tune, as I'm technically on CPO warranty through Aug of this year. I quickly gave that up cause I couldn't help myself!

I have a feeling it may be a JB4 unit or something like that. I’m bringing a friend of mine with me on Saturday who uses JB4 and knows what to look for. Overall, I’m not afraid of the car, just piecing together everything before giving over $29k lol.

Any updates?

No updates yet. Still plan to officially test drive this weekend. I called a few more tuning companies but most were closed for New Years still. Berg Performance mentioned they did zero tuning on the car so JB4 style of tune is looking for prominent.

Since the car is out of basic warranty already, I’d just throw a UM tune on it immediately anyway.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Under the circumstances of not knowing exactly what has been done to it I would give it a miss. Alternatively you have a good reason to negotiate a price reduction.

Very true. Truly tho, with only 23k miles, regular oil changes, and a little more investigating, all is probably fine. Just an unusual case.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I have a feeling it may be a JB4 unit or something like that. I’m bringing a friend of mine with me on Saturday who uses JB4 and knows what to look for. Overall, I’m not afraid of the car, just piecing together everything before giving over $29k lol

If PO did have JB4 on chances are it was removed. That's the nice thing about the JB4....easily removed if you are under warranty and need to take into dealer. I had to do this once for CPO water pump housing replacement on mine when I was running the JB4. Your friend probably knows this already but if the JB4 has been removed the one thing you can check is the red AFR wire at the firewall. The red wire is where you install the JB4 posi-tap into the AFR wire, so there should be a little mark + small hole that you can see. You may have to pull back the black rubber sleeve a bit and inspect the wire. Here's a pic with the posi-tap installed....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 5.38.10 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 5.38.10 PM.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 131

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
But you do have to ask why somebody trades a 23k R on a BMW if there are no problems

I was young and stupid once with rolling over equity, lol. That’s truly my only guess.

Well, I’ll be able to answer more questions this coming weekend when I can get back in and really see the car. I’ll also have my local shop(Bluewater Performance) do an inspection on it to check it over before signing.