GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hold my champagne...

That's what I say before hitting the track.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Didn't say win them all.!!!!!!!!!!!!Lol. I just couldn't do that without wanting to be competitive.

Please explain how to be competitive at a track day, which is a noncompetitive event? Is it a points system? For every GT350 or Corvette I pass with an old guy driving I get 10 points?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Please explain how to be competitive at a track day, which is a noncompetitive event? Is it a points system? For every GT350 or Corvette I pass with an old guy driving I get 10 points?

I guess that I don't understand the point then. What are you doing just running laps independently? Anyone who wants can just start lapping? There's no official start for all the cars? Nobody gets competitive and tries to pass (race) another car?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I guess that I don't understand the point then. What are you doing just running laps independently? Anyone who wants can just start lapping? There's no official start for all the cars? Nobody gets competitive and tries to pass (race) another car?

You got it.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Without timing or any incentive to “race” it sounds like youre just “hanging out” with other old guys there but in a vw, whats the point ?‍♂️

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Track days are about driver mod, learning your car, and doing things that are most definitely illegal everywhere else in a safe, closed environment. You are driving with others and let out in groups, but there is no "winner". Everyone wins and has a good time though.

The track days I've done have instructors to guide you if you want, rules for when and how you can pass to avoid car to car contact, and they give one very strong recommendation:

Unless you trailered your car here today, drive on the track like you also need to drive home. ?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Yea i get that @flipflp but still there is competing involved, even if its against yourself. Dont you wanna go faster and faster every lap, pushing it so to speak?

The other old guy made it sound very non competitive, almost boring.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yea i get that @flipflp but still there is competing involved, even if its against yourself. Dont you wanna go faster and faster every lap, pushing it so to speak?

The other old guy made it sound very non competitive, almost boring.

I think you're confusing pushing the cars hp limits, with pushing and honing driver ability. Upping the hp might make the car and lap times faster, it does not make me a faster driver. If you put Randy Pobst in a stock GTI, he'll still be faster than you or I in a GTI with a maxed out tune. My reward is the grin I get everytime I pass some tool in a trailered Vette or Mustang on R7's wearing a full driving suit and hans. I also just enjoy driving fast without going to jail (did that a few times as a young man). That's enough for me. I also autocross and finish top 10 every year in my region, which is a pretty quick region with multiple current and former national champions, so I get lots of plastic trophies for self affirmation during the year. I don't know what I'd do without them, I wouldn't know if I'd won or lost driving around the parking lot. Thank god for shiny plastic.

I'm only tuning to remove the top speed limiter and value reliable, consistent power over maxed out tunes. Every mod I've done has been to increase the consistency of the car over a 30 min session, reduce consumable costs, or make the car more fun to drive.

Now let's get back to actual questions for ED about tuning. My question has been answered, so let's break out the champagne and celebrate for me.

Last edited:

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@GTIfan99 hey man i thought you were making fun of passing old timers in vettes and gt350s. Maybe i misread.

No one is saying you need the fastest car but i was saying you need to be “racing” or competitive attitude for sure, which you seem to agree with.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And back to tuning questions. Everyone is welcome to join one of the tracking threads if you want to continue talking about tracking.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Track days aren't about racing. If you want to race, there are avenues to do that, in properly prepped cars with all the safety equipment, in classes where the cars are equivalent.

Track days are about taking your mostly street car out and learning how to drive quickly, in a NON competitive arena so there is little to no likelihood of car to car contact and personal injury.