GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good Street Front Brake Upgrade?

Dball24

Car(s)
2016 GTIs
Looking to upgrade the front brakes on my 2016 GTIs. My OEM pads/rotors are just about to expire. Mainly a Daily Driver, but may track once this summer, so not looking to go crazy.Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
nooby question coming in, everytime i see brake upgrades its huge calipers, is the 'upgrade' best seen with what, bigger calipers, bigger rotors, 'better' pads ? say you stuck with oem calipers and just did pads/ rotors, yes i guess thats better but is that where most of the braking upgrades will be felt?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Looking to upgrade the front brakes on my 2016 GTIs. My OEM pads/rotors are just about to expire. Mainly a Daily Driver, but may track once this summer, so not looking to go crazy.Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!
for someone who "may" do a track day i would get a quality set of oe rotors, get some good pads and braided lines and a good brake fluid.
no need for big crazy brakes unless you are hitting the track often or just want that big brake "look"

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I upgraded my 17 Sport w/PP to the TTS 4 piston calipers and ss braided lines from the original PP large single piston calipers. Works great for spirited street driving in the mountains of NW Arkansas. Not as easy to change pads as the Macan calipers as I understand it if doing track days. Would need to upgrade rotors to 340 mm though. cheapest way may be to upgrade to PP set up and better pads.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
for someone who "may" do a track day i would get a quality set of oe rotors, get some good pads and braided lines and a good brake fluid.
no need for big crazy brakes unless you are hitting the track often or just want that big brake "look"
^^this and even more upgrade tires for an all around improvement.

however won't you miss all the dust? at least mine is stupid dusty

nothing wrong with upgrading for looks if you want.

Navi

Autocross Champion

oe rotors and oe calipers are pretty good on the PP cars. For someone that is thinking about occasional track days, that tells me they want to go out and have fun but not a die hard track rat. In that instance, I do not think anything more than good pads, fluid and brake lines are needed like mentioned above. It takes an exceptional, experienced driver to surpass the limits of that setup, especially if you are smooth.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
nooby question coming in, everytime i see brake upgrades its huge calipers, is the 'upgrade' best seen with what, bigger calipers, bigger rotors, 'better' pads ? say you stuck with oem calipers and just did pads/ rotors, yes i guess thats better but is that where most of the braking upgrades will be felt?

Depends on your goals. Track rat, drag-strip queen, or DD with the occasional spirited driving?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I've always found the factory brakes to be pretty good. I agree with the poster that said you can go with OE sized rotors and some good pads for the street. I have the PP brakes...and I would have to do a lot to get them to start to fade. Only thing is that the stock pads dust like mad. I'm going to go with the iSWEEP pads when it comes time to replace them.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have the PP brakes. The rotors had already been turned once and couldn't be turned again so I got 2 piece slotted rotors and Brembo ceramic pads and I'm very happy with them. The rotors weigh 5 lbs less than the OEM rotors and the Brembo pads produce very little dust. Between my Motegi wheels and the 2 piece rotors I reduced unsprung weight by 14 lbs per front wheel.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Last edited: