GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CERAMIC COATING for my car.

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry but no it wont. Like others have said, you're pretty ignorant on the topic. If you think just some wax and a sealant will look and feel just as good as ceramic coat, I've got some fresh canned air to sell you for $10 bucks a can.

Sealant and wax with a PROPER polish job is equal or better than a ceramic job when it comes to water beading, smoothness and clarity. If you think the protection layer is what gives it the clarity, then you're the one showing ignorance. I am fairly knowledgable about detailing..i use to do it on the side. Keep the fresh canned air for yourself, im good.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Sealant and wax with a PROPER polish job is equal or better than a ceramic job when it comes to water beading, smoothness and clarity. If you think the protection layer is what gives it the clarity, then you're the one showing ignorance. I am fairly knowledgable about detailing..i use to do it on the side. Keep the fresh canned air for yourself, im good.

Sorry have to agree with JerseyDrew77. No polish is equal to ceramic. By the way if you can't spell "knowledgeable" you aren't. ?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Ok, you initially said that basically coatings were not something you believed it, and that they needed maintenance. That was your reasoning. Now, you have switched it to “ smoothness and clarity” both of which... using ACTUAL measurements have proven that certain coatings out do waxed and sealants. Do you not have to maintain your finish? What are you really attempting to say?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
E67AD030-EB24-4443-90A3-72CBEFCCDF32.jpeg
M5 I did well over 2 years ago with Gyeon, still going strong

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Apirila I did with optigloss after wash, decon, polish and optigloss... which can and was applied on all plastics, lights, frame. 2 years and also going strong

Attachments

• 7182075E-E51C-4D87-9A42-038008F8D440.jpeg
    7182075E-E51C-4D87-9A42-038008F8D440.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 113

GTI-CAL

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry have to agree with JerseyDrew77. No polish is equal to ceramic. By the way if you can't spell "knowledgeable" you aren't. ?
By the way.....you can't comprehend. You're totally correct that polish is not equal to ceramic. They are not even in the same category. :rolleyes:
Got me on the typo sir (y)

Ok, you initially said that basically coatings were not something you believed it, and that they needed maintenance. That was your reasoning. Now, you have switched it to “ smoothness and clarity” both of which... using ACTUAL measurements have proven that certain coatings out do waxed and sealants. Do you not have to maintain your finish? What are you really attempting to say?

ceramic coating = longer lasting but requires extra effort and money to maintain it. Money grab product by far if you ask me.

sealants = obviously less durable but has the same clarity and water beading properties as long as the polish job was done properly.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

We've all done detailing on the side. Sealant, wax, and a "proper" polish will not be equal to the ceramic coating capabilities. I've used Meguiar's, Turtle Wax, Chemical Guys and Car Pro and none of them come close to a good ceramic coating. For example, Modesta, probably one of the best ceramic coating product out there. Their product is based on a three-dimensional molecular frame that forms a highly durable clear glass coat on the paint and produces an unique "candy-like" gloss. Other qualities include strong water-repelling effects, durability of up to 10 years and outstanding protection against all kinds of contamination and oxidation. You can view their website for more information. No proper polishing, sealant and wax will even come close to their stuff.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
By the way.....you can't comprehend. You're totally correct that polish is not equal to ceramic. They are not even in the same category. :rolleyes:
Got me on the typo sir (y)

ceramic coating = longer lasting but requires extra effort and money to maintain it. Money grab product by far if you ask me.

sealants = obviously less durable but has the same clarity and water beading properties as long as the polish job was done properly.
Extra effort as is how? Washing them? Lol not every single coating needs all of this supposed maintenance. Have you ever even worked with a coating? Obviously not, so I retract that question.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
doing it the old way with polish to the same level of shine would take twice as long....

Seriously not seen a waxed car anywhere near as shiny as a ceramic coated one, without full paint correction I doubt you could get close.

MY last couple of cars have been wrapped for paint protection but ceramic just blows it out the water for care and paint protection especialy from bird turd as the wrap did get marked.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Seriously not seen a waxed car anywhere near as shiny as a ceramic coated one, without full paint correction I doubt you could get close.

"Cough" I did a full paint correction to my last car before I sold it.....I had the new current Golf outside & my old car inside my garage for 2 weeks...for full detailing & paint correction...& loads of other "work"...came up better than new & the car was 14yrs old!..

The highlights...
Jetwash, foam, full 2 bucket wash
Decontamination (bug, tar, fallout, iron removers)
Clay bar
Meguiors 105 compound, machine cut every painted area about 3 times to remove years of holograms/haze etc.
Autoglym SRP polish, machine done every painted panel 2 times
Autogylm EGP sealent, machine done every painted panel 3 times

All I have to do for my Golf with the 5yr old ceramic coating is:-
Jetwash, foam, full 2 bucket wash
Decontamination (bug, tar, fallout, iron removers)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yep, exactly Finglonga and golfdave. Ceramic coating maintenance is easy and requires way less than anything else. I think we all can agree that it's obvious GTI-CAL is very inexperienced with ceramic coating.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
In reference to my post above I had a look through my photos....find comparison photos of the "shine"..

First, is on my old VAG metallic dark blue car, 14yrs old original factory paintwork & after 2 weeks of paint correction as stated above..

Second, is my current car (metallic tungsten silver) with its then 4yr old "G-Techniq crystal serum black" after thorough cleaning as stated above.

Loads of shine on both & trying to take pictures was very difficult, flash was not used!

Proper ceramic coatings save time in the long term!

shine no1.jpg

shine-no2.jpg

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I also like to jewel the finish in order to get the maximum gloss level. This 1997 540i I did about 3 or so years ago was 3 stage polished.
A9F7620D-3BDE-4FC5-B8C4-E33B86267385.jpeg
5CE37EA2-08FE-4EAE-BCAF-DEB4ABBCDD0D.jpeg
1B74AF31-76DF-4775-9185-B9CE394E1C82.jpeg

A9F7620D-3BDE-4FC5-B8C4-E33B86267385.jpeg

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
In reference to my post above I had a look through my photos....find comparison photos of the "shine"..

First, is on my old VAG metallic dark blue car, 14yrs old original factory paintwork & after 2 weeks of paint correction as stated above..

Second, is my current car (metallic tungsten silver) with its then 4yr old "G-Techniq crystal serum black" after thorough cleaning as stated above.

Loads of shine on both & trying to take pictures was very difficult, flash was not used!

Proper ceramic coatings save time in the long term!

View attachment 162723

View attachment 162724

You can definitely see the difference in the gloss between the two with the ceramic one being better.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You can definitely see the difference in the gloss between the two with the ceramic one being better.

The first car with the dark metallic blue has way more mica flakes & sparkles more, & has greater depth than my current tungsten silver metallic..(that's just the difference in paints)...but the G-Techiniq gives a more liquid wet look...