GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Balanced Line Coilovers Now Available!

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
spring rates are pretty crazy imo & camber plates will 100% give you a lot more noise + potential for a clunking. Id say if its your daily I would run from them like the plague.

I know his tunes get a great rep but these coils seem pretty cheap like entry level BC racing type stuff and no real reviews out there on them.

I'm not sure what you're talking about? Our standard spring rates are very mild and suited for a street car with occasional track days and spirited driving. The camber plates don't add much NVH and certainly no clunking unless installed improperly.

Our coilovers are NOT like the cheaper options like BC. They are of significantly higher quality... more in line with companies like Fortune Auto. The product is new and there are a handful of reviews out there. We just shipped another batch, so I'm expecting to see more feedback come up soon. Please try to refrain from conjecturing about our products without having real info.

Thanks
-- Ed

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I'm not sure what you're talking about? Our standard spring rates are very mild and suited for a street car with occasional track days and spirited driving. The camber plates don't add much NVH and certainly no clunking unless installed improperly.

Our coilovers are NOT like the cheaper options like BC. They are of significantly higher quality... more in line with companies like Fortune Auto. The product is new and there are a handful of reviews out there. We just shipped another batch, so I'm expecting to see more feedback come up soon. Please try to refrain from conjecturing about our products without having real info.

Thanks
-- Ed

Idk if i'd put fortune auto and quality in the same sentence unless something major has changed in the last few years.

I did a google search and best I found was a FS thread for your coils in the market place. I"m sure someone will post one up eventually.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Idk if i'd put fortune auto and quality in the same sentence unless something major has changed in the last few years.

I did a google search and best I found was a FS thread for your coils in the market place. I"m sure someone will post one up eventually.

I’ve never heard complaints about Fortune. What would you consider to be quality in a similar price range?

There was at least one review posted on a Facebook group.

— Ed

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I’ve never heard complaints about Fortune. What would you consider to be quality in a similar price range?

There was at least one review posted on a Facebook group.

— Ed
For that price range(yours) Bilstein would be my pick. For the price of Fortune auto it would be ohlins, MCS, AST, JRZ

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
For that price range(yours) Bilstein would be my pick. For the price of Fortune auto it would be ohlins, MCS, AST, JRZ

I assume you are referring to the PSS10's? I agree in this general price range they are arguably at the very top. With that said they are still more expensive vs EQT's solution. USP or BMP has the PSS10's for $1,507.....$250 more than EQT's COs. The one downside IMO with the Bilsteins is you can't specify spring rates, but I do know they use a progressive spring in that solution. Myself...I prefer a solution that allows custom spring rates using linear springs.

On the Fortune front some of those solutions are more expensive than their single adjust 510's ($2,150). Most notably the JRZs are almost $1k more (RS Ones are $3k+). Ohlins $2,790. These other options you are listing are really the top level CO manufacturers. There was a good article over on DriveTribe that graphically "stack ranked" many of the coilovers and the ones you metioned were top tier. Fortune was considered mid-tier. The pricing, for the most part, on all of these solutions is inline with how they stack ranked as well.

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 11.17.13 AM.png

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I assume you are referring to the PSS10's? I agree in this general price range they are arguably at the very top. With that said they are still more expensive vs EQT's solution. USP or BMP has the PSS10's for $1,507.....$250 more than EQT's COs. The one downside IMO with the Bilsteins is you can't specify spring rates, but I do know they use a progressive spring in that solution. Myself...I prefer a solution that allows custom spring rates using linear springs.

On the Fortune front some of those solutions are more expensive than their single adjust 510's ($2,150). Most notably the JRZs are almost $1k more (RS Ones are $3k+). Ohlins $2,790. These other options you are listing are really the top level CO manufacturers. There was a good article over on DriveTribe that graphically "stack ranked" many of the coilovers and the ones you metioned were top tier. Fortune was considered mid-tier. The pricing, for the most part, on all of these solutions is inline with how they stack ranked as well.

View attachment 162900
There's better pricing out there than what you have listed. There are multiple vendors that sell for under MAP and each has several variants of their suspension components.

I will pay more for quality suspension components from a known/proven manufacturer that has shown on track performance. (Ohlins makes amazing suspension but their kit for the mk7 is pure dog shit. It's pretty sad)

The bilstiens are more like $1300 from certain vendors fyi.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
There's better pricing out there than what you have listed. There are multiple vendors that sell for under MAP and each has several variants of their suspension components.
Right I listed MSRP, but the "better pricing out there" applies to for the Fortunes as well. Point is you are listing and comparing solutions that cost a fair amount more than the Fortunes. Not really apples to apples so much

The bilstiens are more like $1300 from certain vendors fyi.
Really? Can you provide a link? The best I have seen is a tad over $1,400

It's obvious you are looking for solutions that aren't really where the EQT's "play" I think for the pricepoint and the options they provide it's a great solution for many folks. I do believe Ed indicated at one point that you could specify different spring rates if you would like. At this point, however, you can't upgrade to a Swift or Hyperco spring, but maybe that will change down the road.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Right I listed MSRP, but the "better pricing out there" applies to for the Fortunes as well. Point is you are listing and comparing solutions that cost a fair amount more than the Fortunes. Not really apples to apples so much

Really? Can you provide a link? The best I have seen is a tad over $1,400

It's obvious you are looking for solutions that aren't really where the EQT's "play" I think for the pricepoint and the options they provide it's a great solution for many folks. I do believe Ed indicated at one point that you could specify different spring rates if you would like. At this point, however, you can't upgrade to a Swift or Hyperco spring, but maybe that will change down the road.

Even if you can specify the spring rates it would still be hard to say as there's no data/reviews out there on them. If they turn out to be a unicorn and great for the price then sure I could take a chance on them.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
FWIW, I spec’d this setup after going through a set of Bilsteins on my own R. They were nice for about 5k miles and a couple track days. After that the ride became very harsh. I’ve since heard similar reports from others.

We can do custom spring rates and we can offer swift springs, but they do add quite a bit of cost.

— Ed

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Have been running them for a month or so now. Wrote up a review here on them. https://www.carworklog.com/2019/12/15/replacing-suspension-on-the-2016-gti/

im not especially knowledgeable about suspensions and don’t track my car. So if you are looking for that type of review I’m not the one to give it. I can though talk about daily driver and weekends in the mountains with it.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Great review and your car looks awesome! I appreciate the pics showing how far the collars are spun down in regards to ride height. Can’t wait for tax return season now!

Just to be an a-hole... “damping,” not “dampening.” Your car sounds quite moist lol.