GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Decided to move forward with raptor lining the fender wells. Surprised by the amount of surface rust so first step was to fully degrease, wire wheel, then self etching primer. Next steps are to wire wheel the seam sealer and to seam weld. Then will proceed to primer then raptor liner. Once fenders are done the engine bay is next.

zrickety

The Fixer
Were you having issues with the flywheel/transmission, or are you just concerned about the play? I've handled quite a few manual DMF and what your video shows is pretty normal.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Were you having issues with the flywheel/transmission, or are you just concerned about the play? I've handled quite a few manual DMF and what your video shows is pretty normal.

I always thought my DSG was "clunky" than a typical DSG. It works fine, but I guess its not as smooth as other DQ250 cars ive driven

zef

Drag Racing Champion
What an absolute ass load of work this was, but glad I went out of my way to get it done. Fender wells (and subframe area) are now stitch welded/seam welded and fully protected from the elements.

Last edited:

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
interesting, definitely a lot of work there. sometimes these chassis do change slightly if they are in the air vs loaded on the ground though, but the differences are usually minute.

Reactions: zef

zef

Drag Racing Champion
interesting, definitely a lot of work there. sometimes these chassis do change slightly if they are in the air vs loaded on the ground though, but the differences are usually minute.

Absolutely. I had the subframe bolted on as well as the front nose to keep everything tight.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Never seen anyone stitch weld the inner panels like that before, what was the logic behind that? On a track car where you're proned to throwing it into a wall and potentially needing to replace a fender and maybe pull the rails often that's going to be a nightmare when the time comes.

I had a few spot welds pop so I knew that area was flexing a lot. I don't think minor/moderate wall taps are going to be an issue. the chassis rails were left untouched for the most part so I don't see that being too much of an issue either...time will tell

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Absolutely. I had the subframe bolted on as well as the front nose to keep everything tight.
nice work, i dig that attention to detail.

• Love
Reactions: zef

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Been a minute since I've updated here but been plenty busy at the garage...

Trans is freshly painted:

Engine bay is painted:

How the engine bay currently sits....

Good shot of the raptor liner on the chassis rails

ABS pump reinstalled, sleeved all of the brake lines with DEI sleeves to shield from radiant heat coming off the turbo.

Next I started to paint the block. Took awhile to sand what I could then put a coat of primer on it.

Was going to reinstall the subframe to get the next wave of parts back on but discovered that where the LCA bolts to basically broke off in my hand. Glad this didn't happen on track. Tubular subframe isn't in the budget right now so I am going to get a replacement OE subframe off a donor car for the time being.

Once the subframe is back on the car, the transmission, steering rack, sway bar, knuckles, brakes, and coils will be back on the car. Then I gotta decide wtf to do with my turbo/motor. Will probably start the interior stuff in the meantime as I haven't yet installed my bucket seat, harnesses, or roll bar.

zrickety

The Fixer
Looks great.
Hey man, I have a subframe sitting on the shelf with VWR mounts in it. Mounts have never been used. PM me if you're interested.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
im hoping you throw in a bigger turbo before putting the engine back in.

That's the plan. I'm looking at getting a boss 600 kit, but funds are tight between saving for a wedding plus this. I might throw the ko4 back in this year just so I can at least get some seat time, otherwise this car might have to sit apart for another year before its running again.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Making progess but also uncovering more problems. Interior is pretty much done, just need to get a sunroof delete panel and bolt in the roll bar. Installed fresh wheel bearings on my newly painted spindles, and got a tie rod refresh kit from FCP. Inner tie rods were beyond gone.

Discovered my vorshlag camber plate bearings are toast, as well as my brembos. I guess you can say my brakes got pretty f***ing hot. Will need to rebuild them and hopefully the pistons are salvageable. Always something.