GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Every tuner has a different answer when you ask "what is needed for 100% e85 on a FBO is20".

Has anyone got a full e85 tune from Ed@EQT?

I've been told everything from HPFP & LPFP to "might be able to without any additional fueling"
^ Which I find highly suspect.

I miss running straight e85 and would love to stop blending as its so plentiful here.

I know at least a HPFP would be needed (at least in my head).

HPFP will do it on an IS20. LPFP is helpful but not required. No way you're getting away without fuel mods unless you run super lean... which I won't do.

-- Ed

joneze93tsi

Passed Driver's Ed
I would love for that be to the case, but will wait for Ed's input hopefully.

A few cars that had open source tuning (think dumb subi open loop ecms)

I used to marvel at running pure magic ethanol juice. Virtually knock-proof between raw KR and cooling magic.

I see ethanol as magic insurance almost.
98f outside, shitty intercooler, NO PROBLEM!

joneze93tsi

Passed Driver's Ed
Late to reply..

Damn he's fast.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Nope... just our normally awesome prices ;)
I'd like those coilovers are your awesome black Friday price. ? Wasn't a good time for me end of November with the baby on the way, but now that he's here I have a little room for it. ?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I'd like those coilovers are your awesome black Friday price. ? Wasn't a good time for me end of November with the baby on the way, but now that he's here I have a little room for it. ?

We'll have another awesome sale in about 10 months :p

Maybe once you actually get the Vortex on your car we can talk more ;)

-- Ed

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
We'll have another awesome sale in about 10 months :p

Maybe once you actually get the Vortex on your car we can talk more ;)

-- Ed
I need it for my winter build which is also going to set up for your Vortex after one more attempt in Spring as agreed. ?Really though, I'm limited on funds and wanted to try them out. Was hoping for a sale. I don't want to cheap out elsewhere, maybe i'll rob the kid's piggy bank. Let you know soon.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Lots of deposits where other than the spark plugs and what is detrimental about the deposits?

Spark plugs, combustion chamber, O2 sensors, cats, etc. The main concern is fouling plugs and sensors over time.

— Ed

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I'd like those coilovers are your awesome black Friday price.....

FYI there is a guy selling a brand new set on VW MQB Private Sales group on Facebook. $925 shipped. $850 if you are local but he's in Cali. Looks like you are in IL?

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
FYI there is a guy selling a brand new set on VW MQB Private Sales group on Facebook. $925 shipped. $850 if you are local but he's in Cali. Looks like you are in IL?
Oh damn, thanks for the lookout now how do I do this without my wife finding out ?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
A good customer is letting us use his stock 2018 Golf R for some R&D before we install our turbo and make it into a monster. It has been a long time since I've had my hands on a bone stock R, so I'm taking this opportunity to take the car through the stages and refine my base tunes. The car is completely stock with about 6k miles on it.

First we ran some stock baseline pulls. The blue lines show a median run on the stock tune. We're enjoying some nice cool weather right now, so numbers will look a bit extra healthy in general even though we are using SAE correction.

After getting the baselines out of the way, I proceeded to load our EQT Stage 1 91 Octane base tune. The tune made good power right away, but there was a little boost fluctuation and the curve didn't quite meet my standards. So I spent the better part of a day going through and refining the tune. You can see the result in the green curves. Again, the cold weather is helping a bit here as I never expected this much gain from tuning alone. This map will be the basis for a future base tune revision release, but it may get dialed back a little bit after further hot lap testing and final testing on a handful of vehicles around the country. I expect the final 91 Octane Base Tune to be within 10whp of these runs.

After I was done with the fun stuff, I decided to test the Cobb 91 Octane Stage 1 High Boost OTS tune. You can see the results of that in the magenta lines. This tune seems to run very low boost, peaking around 23psi. It makes some clear gains over stock, but obviously leaves a lot on the table.

Next up, we're going to install some colder spark plugs, downpipe, intake, and intercooler so that I can test and refine our stage 2 Base Tunes.

A1046E2A-358D-45E7-9FB9-7FF84A289695.jpeg

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Solid numbers! Looking forward to seeing stage 2 gains as well.

I'm sure you've answered this here before, but would you ever offer an E85 blend OTS tune? I know there are a lot of factors with blend tunes that aren't helpful in creating an OTS map, but that would be a huge seller I'm sure. Maybe instead of a E# blend, make a 2-2.5 gallon blend that is based on pump ethanol being 70% to be safe? At least us 91 octane people would see gains from that.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Solid numbers! Looking forward to seeing stage 2 gains as well.

I'm sure you've answered this here before, but would you ever offer an E85 blend OTS tune? I know there are a lot of factors with blend tunes that aren't helpful in creating an OTS map, but that would be a huge seller I'm sure. Maybe instead of a E# blend, make a 2-2.5 gallon blend that is based on pump ethanol being 70% to be safe? At least us 91 octane people would see gains from that.

I've considered this, but to make it really reliable and consistent, people would have to upgrade the HPFP. I've seen some cars where the stock HPFP has a hard time keeping up with stage 2 power levels on pump gas.

-- Ed