GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not even close to a GTI in terms of price point, but I do love me a turbo straight six. 4 bangers will never sound as nice. Europe always gets nice variants but I never grew fond of the hatch 1 series, that looks like a midget X1.

Also, why do you keep writing GTI with a lowercase i?

Must be a BMW guy. Or iPhone.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
IMO the current (new) BMW 1 series is a nicer looking car than the mk8 Golf.

Not surprisingly, there’s been some speculation over on golfgtiforum.co.uk on what the mk8 GTI might cost, and the consensus is that it'll be quite easy to break the £40k (approx US $52k) price barrier for the higher performance version with a few extra cost options added, bearing in mind the list price of the outgoing mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR is over £37.5k before any options are added. In the UK, there are road tax implications / penalties on cars with a list price of more than £40k.

To me, £40k (US $52k) sounds a lot for a Golf which IMO doesn’t look as good as the outgoing model and probably won’t drive significantly better.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
If you have a good look at the mk8, under the bonnet, sizes etc and consider it’s still MQB, it’s basically a heavily face lifted Mk7, think mk5-Mk6, not a bad thing by any means but not revolutionary either, more similarities will no doubt come to light once it’s in customers hands also I’d have thought!

codypka

Go Kart Champion
IMO the current (new) BMW 1 series is a nicer looking car than the mk8 Golf.

Not surprisingly, there’s been some speculation over on golfgtiforum.co.uk on what the mk8 GTI might cost, and the consensus is that it'll be quite easy to break the £40k (approx US $52k) price barrier for the higher performance version with a few extra cost options added, bearing in mind the list price of the outgoing mk7.5 Golf GTI TCR is over £37.5k before any options are added. In the UK, there are road tax implications / penalties on cars with a list price of more than £40k.

To me, £40k (US $52k) sounds a lot for a Golf which IMO doesn’t look as good as the outgoing model and probably won’t drive significantly better.

a MK8 GTI is not going to cost 10k more than the current Golf R

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The most recent list price of a stock GTi with no options in the UK started at £32,500 ish and the R started at £36,000, so the prices mentioned above aren’t out of the question!

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
If you have a good look at the mk8, under the bonnet, sizes etc and consider it’s still MQB, it’s basically a heavily face lifted Mk7, think mk5-Mk6, not a bad thing by any means but not revolutionary either, more similarities will no doubt come to light once it’s in customers hands also I’d have thought!
This is true. But I'm less than impressed with the 'it's a tad too big but screw the centre infotainment screen in anyway' finish. I was hoping for something similar to the new Polo where the dashboard is neater, better finished and blends in well. Good for Polo owners but the Polo really shouldn't look better than the Golf. I've upgraded my personal view on the Mk8 extrerior to 'well it looks kinda ok, I guess it will prob grow on folk in time' but not at all sure about that interior....

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
a MK8 GTI is not going to cost 10k more than the current Golf R
Maybe not. The reason for quoting the approx US $’s equivalent of the expected £40k UK price of the higher performance mk8 GTI in my previous post to illustrate that in the UK, a mk8 Golf GTI will be quite an expensive car - US forum members can probably relate to a US $’s figure more readily than a UK £’s figure.

The car’s looks don’t seem to be winning universal appeal on forums where the majority of forum members are UK based, nor does the touch pad / touch screen interior. At the expected price, I can see lots of existing mk7/mk7.5 GTI owners looking elsewhere for their next car, or keeping their current cars for longer.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This is true. But I'm less than impressed with the 'it's a tad too big but screw the centre infotainment screen in anyway' finish. I was hoping for something similar to the new Polo where the dashboard is neater, better finished and blends in well. Good for Polo owners but the Polo really shouldn't look better than the Golf. I've upgraded my personal view on the Mk8 extrerior to 'well it looks kinda ok, it will prob grow on folk' but no sure about that interior....
My next car will very likely be a Polo GTI+, and before if gets its mid-life facelift, when VW will probably hit it with the ugly stick and make it look more like a mk8 Golf, and also remove the conventional buttons, switches and knobs from the interior! ?

The mk8’s looks may grow on me, but at the moment I’m not liking it too much.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Regarding pricing...from what I've seen...the prices for a GTI in the UK is much higher than the US. The GTI's in the UK look to be sold as fully loaded cars...like the Autobahn in the US. While in the US we get more basic models like the S...the UK does not. I don't think they can get a new GTI for $21k (16,000gbp). I remember seeing Chris Harris reviewing the MK7 GTI when it first came out in 2014 and he said that the GTI prices are approaching M135 prices.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
They're really trying to push the Austin wheel evolution as far as they can without calling Hugo Boss. ?

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve already decided my Mk7 GTi replacement will be the new BMW M135i, even though the GTi will obviously look better than the test mule when it’s fully unveiled I’ve already tested the M135i and it’s one hell of a car, VW will have to have something special up their sleave to stop me buying my first ever BMW?.

Surely it will be a great FWD BMW. It’s a lot more money than a Mk8 GTI right? I’m guessing at least by $20,000 Euro.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Regarding pricing...from what I've seen...the prices for a GTI in the UK is much higher than the US. The GTI's in the UK look to be sold as fully loaded cars...like the Autobahn in the US. While in the US we get more basic models like the S...the UK does not. I don't think they can get a new GTI for $21k (16,000gbp). I remember seeing Chris Harris reviewing the MK7 GTI when it first came out in 2014 and he said that the GTI prices are approaching M135 prices.

No way. The M135i will be about 50,000 Euro.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Surely it will be a great FWD BMW. It’s a lot more money than a Mk8 GTI right? I’m guessing at least by $20,000 Euro.

The BMW M135i actually right in the new GTI's price, starting at £36k. The MK7.5 GTI is currently £34k according to CarWow. I'll take the BMW M135i over the VW any day. I got an offer from Carwow for £33k just for the fun of it.