GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Ok. I know everyone here is not fond of it based on flow numbers. I've done some IAT testing with it on my car, and it performs quite well at keeping the IAT's down between pulls. Maybe not as well as the top of the line large core OEM replacements, but well enough. I don't think mere flow tests show the full picture.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Ok. I know everyone here is not fond of it based on flow numbers. I've done some IAT testing with it on my car, and it performs quite well at keeping the IAT's down between pulls. Maybe not as well as the top of the line large core OEM replacements, but well enough. I don't think mere flow tests show the full picture.

The problem with it was it increased my wastegate duty cycle almost 10%. the turbo was working a lot harder than when it had oem intercooler. that is the problem with reduced flow. Do you want your turbo having to work 10% harder to reach the same levels? I don't.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The problem with it was it increased my wastegate duty cycle almost 10%. the turbo was working a lot harder than when it had oem intercooler. that is the problem with reduced flow. Do you want your turbo having to work 10% harder to reach the same levels? I don't.

Given what I've seen doing pulls at different elevations, I'm not fully convinced I understand how these ECUs work and what is requested of the turbo, especially with different approaches to ECU tuning.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I'll give the Neuspeed one thing.. because the air moved slow.. it cooled a lot faster than my oem or even my treadstone does. like the temp shot down very fast, almost too fast to read. but once my tuner looked at my logs and said something is very restricted in front... and i had changed to that intercooler, it made sense. then, mygolf dude did a test a couple weeks later and confirmed the exact same thing regarding flow. That's when i sold it.

I still think about just going back to a stock intercooler sometimes... this stuff is just too much to take in and analyze. wonder if i should have just stayed with the Neuspeed IS38 IC to begin with... I bought that godamn thing TWICE....

i just cant get over how it flows only a bit more than HALF what the stock crappy IC flows..

1579812392385.png

I need to keep my Treadsone anyway.. mainly because I use its hose couplers to mount my fog lights..

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
wonder if i should have just stayed with the Neuspeed IS38 IC to begin with... I bought that godamn thing TWICE....

Watching your channel for a few years... I’d think you can say that about a lot of things I bet ??

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I still think about just going back to a stock intercooler sometimes... this stuff is just too much to take in and analyze. wonder if i should have just stayed with the Neuspeed IS38 IC to begin with... I bought that godamn thing TWICE....
Is there something about the Treadstone that's not working out or that would make you want to go back to stock?