GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunking Front Suspension (Aftermarket)

Juuso

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster

Hoping someone has some input on why my front suspension CLUNKS over bumps . I've done quite a bit to the car so its hard to find a forum that factors in everything thats been done to it. Suspension-wise here's everything thats been done so far as well as the chassis mods if anyone think it could be from that as well:

- MSS coil kit (Sport)
- Superpro front and rear sway bar
- Superpro front and rear endlinks
- Superpro LCAS
- APR dogbone insert
- APR pendulum mount
- Eurocode front and rear strut bar
- UB underbody brace
- Tyrolsport deadset subframe kit
- 034 rear subframe mount inserts
- 034 strut mount
- 034 strut mount bearing
- 034 rear shock mount
- BFI stage 1 engine mount kit

So far the only thing i found was a loose upper strut mount bolt (which did help a little), a torn boot for the endlink and another with excess play (all 4 replaced), and a loose brake caliper bolt. Honestly, I'm pretty discouraged with the whole thing.. the front of the car doesn't feel solid and it's slowing taking the fun out driving this great car. I've gone under the car multiple times and made sure everything was torqued to spec and the best answer I've gotten, outside of everything I've already done, is the basic "that just may be how it is now" which I don't believe. Only other thing I can think of is something going on with the DCC shocks or the MSS kit... maybe it time for coilovers? Any input would be awesome.

Thanks

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I was steered away from the 034 strut mounts and bushings after being warned of clunking. Do you have the stock ones to test?

Juuso

I was steered away from the 034 strut mounts and bushings after being warned of clunking. Do you have the stock ones to test?

Actually I found installing the 034 strut mounts helped tighten everything up and reduce some of the noise. I do still have the stock ones though

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I’d try the bearing first then.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Make sure end links are tight on sway bar. If loose they will shift on bumps. 034 mounts. The ones you have, did they come with a washer to install with them? Last time I had a new set installed the upgrade to the mounts was using a washer between shock and mount. If answer is no then ask 034 about better mount. Without washer shock can start to drill a hole in mount, then assembly is loose.
Shock top bolt tight to spec? Spring mount bolts tight to spec? 3 each side. All of they can add noise. Last suggestion is, are the springs installed wrong?

Last edited: